Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel heads into pivotal '23 with new stance, mindset

Senzel heads into pivotal '23 with new stance, mindset

Senzel heads into pivotal '23 with new stance, mindset
    The last time a change to his hitting approach was installed, Reds center fielder Nick Senzel wasn't ready. It was in the midst of Senzel's 2019 rookie season and then-assistant hitting coach Donnie Ecker had him open his batting stance, stand tall in the box with a wider posture and add a leg kick.

Bottom line: the changes did not take.

“When they first came to me with this swing adjustment, it was just so much," Senzel said.

"It was my first year in the big leagues, I was trying to fit in and I was trying to establish myself. It was a lot on me, mentally. I wasn’t mature enough as a person to kind of take that on and run with it, so it was a little difficult. I’m in a better position to take that on. And to be quite frank, I need to do it.”

Senzel would return to his original approach, but he eventually saw his power dwindle in 2022.

It's become a crucial period for the 27-year-old Senzel to finally establish himself in Cincinnati's 2023 lineup.

Late last season, assistant hitting coach Joel McKeithan suggested a new adjustment. Similar to 2019, Senzel stood tall and hovered his left foot off the ground as the pitch arrived. But, he would be less wide in his stance and more balanced.

"It allows him to move in rhythm to the ball and be a little more athletic in recognizing and adjusting to pitches. He should be able to get his good swing off on anything," said McKeithan, who was promoted to hitting coach in the offseason.

“It was like, ‘OK, what didn’t you like about trying this the first time? What are the foundational things you need to have in your swing?’ The main thing was just finding balance.”

Five of Senzel's top seven exit velocities came in September, including a season-high 109.5 mph on Sept. 4 vs. the Rockies and 107.3 mph on Sept. 13 vs. Pittsburgh.

"You saw his ability to adjust and drive the ball," McKeithan said. "The numbers weren’t necessarily there in terms of results, but in terms of exit velo and staying in the middle of the field and driving the ball, it seems to have helped.”

Unfortunately for Senzel, he didn't get to build on those results. He missed the final 14 games of the 2022 season when he fractured his big left toe in a wall collision on Sept. 20 vs. the Red Sox.

“Listen, it’s no secret that I would like to play better," Senzel said. "I think a lot of things have happened that deterred that, a lot of it self-inflicted, injuries, whatever the case may be. I love this game and I want to play well. I’m in a good spot, mind and body, to be able to work and dedicate and do the things I need to do to have a great year.

Injuries have dogged Senzel for much of his four-year career. But he played a career-high 110 games last season and felt like he could resume his late 2022 momentum. He also thinks that he and McKeithan clicked in ways that he couldn't with others.

“We have a great relationship, a great working relationship. I trust what he has to say," Senzel said. "I think now, I’m more mature. It’s time now to really do some tough things, some challenging things, to push myself into a position where I can get the most out of my abilities."

Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-s...ments-for-2023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Senzel heads into pivotal '23 with new stance, mindset

I know this thread will probably go downhill fast with silly bad jokes and the like but...

I wish Nick Senzel the best of luck in the 2023 season.

I still believe he has the talent to be a well above average major league baseball player. I'm rooting for him.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-23-2023 at 06:40 PM.

4. Likes:

64red (02-24-2023),757690 (02-23-2023),Chip R (02-27-2023),goreds2 (02-23-2023),JFLegal (02-23-2023),Kc61 (02-23-2023),klw (02-23-2023),NC Reds (02-23-2023),Number_Fourteen (02-24-2023),Old school 1983 (02-23-2023),RED VAN HOT (02-23-2023),Redsfaithful (02-23-2023),Roy Tucker (02-24-2023),UKFlounder (02-23-2023)

They call me "chef"

As much as it pains me to say it, I think this year is finally the 5th make-or-break year for Senzel.

6. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (02-27-2023),Wonderful Monds (02-23-2023)

Hitting is not about your stance, its about picking up the ball. If he can't find a way to pick up and recognize the spin sooner it's DFA time.

8. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-24-2023),stlwahoo (02-25-2023)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think he’d be a very good player at this point in his career if he could stay healthy. Don’t think he was ever going to be as good as he thought he could be, but he’d be comfortably above replacement level.

I wish him the best of luck, obviously, but I expect nothing from him. If he shows well for an extended period, trade him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-23-2023)

For me, the shame is guys like TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild, and Michael Siani may never get real chances at consistent playing time, but Nick is going to get yet another opportunity. Of course I wish him the best. I just can’t really come up with a good reason why he’s still on this roster.

12. Likes:

mth123 (02-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    For me, the shame is guys like TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild, and Michael Siani may never get real chances at consistent playing time, but Nick is going to get yet another opportunity. Of course I wish him the best. I just can’t really come up with a good reason why he’s still on this roster.
    This exactly. I'm all for giving guys a shot and guys who were central figures in the plan should get a long look but Senzel has already had that. He was healthy almost all of last year and got the consistent PT everyone thought he might have been lacking to get on track and show what he was as a minor leaguer. Still, his OPS+ was even worse than in 2021 when injuries and sporadic playing time were calling the results into question.

IMO, he doesn't really do anything well. He's OK in CF, but not really any better than many run of the mill minor leaguers are and the rest of his game is poor (including his baserunning in spite of his above average speed). He'll be 28 in June and doesn't make league minimum anymore. Time to turn the page.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Upside.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-24-2023),pedro (02-23-2023)

I think his upside is upside down at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Upside.
    He’ll be 28 in a few months and has over 1000 MLB plate appearances. He has been substantially below average at every aspect of hitting and a mediocre-at-best defender. His injuries cannot be written off as flukes at this point either. His body seems to be incapable of withstanding MLB competition and when he has been on the field, he’s been overmatched.

At what point will the other OF from my post achieve 1000 MLB plate appearances? How long will they continue to get PT while OPS+ing 73?

At this point, “upside” is an average 4th OF.

18. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-24-2023)

They call me "chef"

If Senzel hits 25+ home runs, knocks in 80+, and bats above .275, I will break my foot.

At this point, “upside” is an average 4th OF.
    Nah.

Senzel's upside is still the .310/ .378/ .509/ .887 line he put up in AAA in 2017 and a slightly better than league average CF.

It's just unlikely he gets there.

The Reds still don't have a guy who has Senzel's upside. (Well, Benson may well be arguable, but he's probably more of a RF than CF.)

That's why he continues to get chances.

Please do not mention foot injuries in the Nick Senzel thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nah.

Senzel's upside is still the .310/ .378/ .509/ .887 line he put up in AAA in 2017 and a slightly better than league average CF.

It's just unlikely he gets there.

The Reds still don't have a guy who has Senzel's upside. (Well, Benson may well be arguable, but he's probably more of a RF than CF.)

That's why he continues to get chances.
    That was 44 games. Fairchild has an .890 OPS in 97 AAA games.

As much flak as I’ve gotten for Tyler Stephenson’s sample size at the MLB level last year, I’m surprised we’re bringing up 44 AAA games six years (and about 12 IL stints) ago.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-24-2023),Crumbley (02-24-2023)

I think at this point we have to take into consideration the difference between minor league pitching and major league pitching. Based on the results to date, I think Senzel's upside is .900 OPS in AAA but big-league pitchers can get him out. There are 1000+ major league PAs that have shown that.

AAAA players have existed for as long as there have been minor leaguers. What we've learned about Senzel in his big-league career, with ample data to back it up, is that he's probably one of them.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-24-2023)

Turn Off Ads?