Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

They are not keeping only 12 non pitchers. Especially if you’re keeping 3 catchers. The continuing stupidity of how modern day rosters are constructed because managers can’t handle pitching staff management

Ok. Now I see it is 13 non pitchers. Still stupid to have 2 back up catchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Newman and Pinder are replacement level and boring. Rather see our young prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Chad Pinder's spring training reminds me that McLain played a full season of CF in college, and was used as a utility player in the Cape Cod league.

Maille looks like the weakest link in the chain. Maybe someone gets released and the Reds can pick him up.

I suspect, with Friedl's exceptional spring and Pinder's poor one, the choice now comes down to Pinder or Fairchild.

Fairchild has an option left, IIRC. Pinder does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect, with Friedl's exceptional spring and Pinder's poor one, the choice now comes down to Pinder or Fairchild.

Fairchild has an option left, IIRC. Pinder does not.
    I think that is the last spot for competition. Pinder would require someone to be released from the 40.
    But he can play some infield.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think that is the last spot for competition. Pinder would require someone to be released from the 40.
    Yeah, agreed.

It's CF-capable (and possible RH platoon mate in LF or CF) v. MI-capable (and possible platoon mate in LF).

Right now, what I think the Reds will do is pretty evident. (As always, I'd do things differently.)

C Luke Maile [R]
    C/ DH Curt Casali [R]
    C/ 1B/ DH Tyler Stephenson [R]
    1B Joey Votto [L]
    2B Jonathan India [R]
    SS Jose Barrero [R]
    3B Spencer Steer [R]
    UT Kevin Newman [R]
    LF Jake Fraley [L]
    CF Will Benson [L]
    RF/1B Wil Myers [R]
    OF TJ Friedl [L]
    OF/IF/DH Chad Pinder [R]

SP Hunter Greene
    SP Nick Lodolo
    SP Graham Ashcraft
    SP Luis Cessa
    SP Luke Weaver

RP Alexis Diaz
    RP Lucas Sims
    RP Buck Farmer
    RP Reiver Sanmartin [L]
    RP Alex Young [L]
    RP Silvino Bracho
    RP Ian Gibaut
    RP Derek Law

Hunter Strickland has been brutal so far. The Reds choose to replace him with Bracho, another non-roster invite who adds to the depth. Young also requires roster movement, as does Pinder. Vosler might also have a say in the IF/OF gig-- he's capable as an OF, but can also spell Steer at 3B pretty easily. I could see the Reds adding him in place of Friedl or Pinder.

Opening Day Batting Order (v. Mitch Keller [R]):
    2B Jonathan India [R]
    CF Will Benson [L]
    C Tyler Stephenson [R]
    LF Jake Fraley [L]
    RF Wil Myers [R]
    1B Joey Votto [L]
    DH TJ Friedl [L]
    3B Spencer Steer [R]
    SS Jose Barrero [R]

SP Hunter Greene [R]

I think the position player group is pretty set. The 13th man would be Pinder - assuming Votto, Benson, Fraley, and Friedl are all there to hit lefty. If Votto (or another LHH) is out, then Vosler would also join as utility.

The pitching situation is not pretty set (or pretty in any other respect). I view the following as locks: Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Cessa, San Martin, Diaz, and Farmer.

That leaves one rotation spot, Weaver, Anderson, or Overton. It leaves five bullpen spots - Kuhnel (likely), Gibout (likely), Sims (see below), Strickland (maybe), Law (maybe), Cruz (maybe), Young (maybe).

Sims doesn’t have good numbers this spring, I wonder if he will be deemed ready to go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2023 at 10:46 AM.

You guys do realize that, if the Reds only kept two catchers, any time Stephenson was DH and they used a pinch-hitter for Casali, the Reds give up the DH for the rest of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    You guys do realize that, if the Reds only kept two catchers, any time Stephenson was DH and they used a pinch-hitter for Casali, the Reds give up the DH for the rest of that game.
    This is a Bell issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Yeah, agreed.

It's CF-capable (and possible RH platoon mate in LF or CF) v. MI-capable (and possible platoon mate in LF).
    Put me down for Fairchild. At least we know he can hit lefties. It’s not apparent Pinder can hit anyone anymore. And Fairchild doesn’t require a roster spot.

13. Likes:

mth123 (03-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    A lot of easy 40 man opening moves still available to this team.

The one thing Pinder has going for him is he's also the backup 2bman and 3bman if he makes the team.

- - - Updated - - -

The waiver wire the final week could also change things regarding the last pitcher and fielder that make this team.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    What does that matter for this team record wise. It will likely happen late in the game so it will likely not matter. Plus you can PH for pitcher if his spot comes up not a huge issue.

16. Likes:

mth123 (03-16-2023),Ron Madden (03-16-2023)

I think Reds fans will be glad Maile is on the team when they see his defense, especially against the new, aggressive running that will happen with the new rules.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    A lot of easy 40 man opening moves still available to this team.

The one thing Pinder has going for him is he's also the backup 2bman and 3bman if he makes the team.
    Newman can play both of those positions.

Turn Off Ads?