Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What I think is probable:

Stephenson, Casali, Maile, Votto, India, Newman, Steer, Pinder, Fraley, Friedl, Benson, Fairchild, Myers

Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Weaver, Cessa

Diaz, Sims, Farmer, SanMartin, Santillan, Young, Gibaut, Sousa

DL: Vlad, Antone, Senzel

Vs RHP

India 2B
    Friedl LF
    Stephenson C
    Votto 1B
    Fraley DH
    Myers RF
    Benson CF
    Steer 3B
    Newman SS

Vs LHP

India 2B
    Fairchild CF
    Stephenson DH
    Votto 1B
    Myers RF
    Pinder LF
    Steer 3B
    Casali C
    Newman SS
    Hard to kill a vampire. They remain in a permanent state of the undead.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Fernando Cruz looks pretty good in the WBC. Yadi is trusting him in some tight game situations. Good split finger changeup.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Right now, in March 2023, 100% of Barerro’s value is his glove at SS. Moving him to CF is silly. Benson, Friedl, and Siani are better options there - now, and in the future. Barerro is never going to be an OBP guy. The question is whether he’ll deliver enough power/speed to combine with his glove and make him a 2.0 WAR starter. I’d run him out there for at least 200-300 PAs and see if he shows improvement.

You can fit both Pinder and Newman on the roster if Fairchild and Solak go down, and Senzel starts on the IL. It looks to me like Pinder will get cut. He’s done nothing in ST.
    I’d leave Barrero at shortstop for now. If the goal is to test him over a fair period of time, let him stay at his normal spot.

I’d note that some of his defensive metrics at short, including OAA, DRS, UZR/150, were slightly negative last year. But I view the past seasons as a transition to the big leagues which can be difficult, including an injury last season. So play him often at short now, over a prolonged period of months, and get a complete picture of whether he’s a major league SS.

Newman will be there to spell Jose occasionally and fill in at other positions.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’d leave Barrero at shortstop for now. If the goal is to test him over a fair period of time, let him stay at his normal spot.

I’d note that some of his defensive metrics at short, including OAA, DRS, UZR/150, were slightly negative last year. But I view the past seasons as a transition to the big leagues which can be difficult, including an injury last season. So play him often at short now, over a prolonged period of months, and get a complete picture of whether he’s a major league SS.

Newman will be there to spell Jose occasionally and fill in at other positions.
    Jose had a good night at the plate tonight. Double, triple, walk. Maybe something is starting to click or maybe they threw him all fastballs.

Mark Sheldon projecting the Reds' Opening Day roster

Reds Spring Training is nearing the end, and roster battles are about to reach their crescendo as players on the bubble compete to be among the 26 players who are active for Opening Day.

As of Friday, 45 players remained in big league camp.

Here is my updated prediction for whom the Reds will have when they take the field on March 30 vs. the Pirates.

Continue Reading:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-2...ing-day-roster

Here's the thing, the Reds are going to have three LH hitting OF who will sit against LHP. Somebody who doesn't normally play OF is going to have to play OF. Defensively, Barrero is easily the best choice with Newman at SS. Fairchild or Pinder, whichever of the two who make the roster can play one spot. Stephenson can move to DH with Casali taking a spot. If not Newman at SS with Barrero in the OF, who else??

Barrero isn't the SS of the future anymore. If he stays in Cincy, his career is going to be as a guy who can play multiple spots up the middle.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

After a relatively short while, Reds will have two RHH outfielders in Myers and Senzel. If Pinder makes the team, he’s a RHH utility who can play OF. If Fairchild makes it, he’s another RH outfielder.

As for Barrero, has he played CF all spring? Looking at the stats, doesn’t seem so.

It’s more important to see, once and for all, whether Barrero is ready to become a big league shortstop. The outfield platoon splits against lefties in a building season are secondary.

After a relatively short while, Reds will have two RHH outfielders in Myers and Senzel. If Pinder makes the team, he’s a RHH utility who can play OF. If Fairchild makes it, he’s another RH outfielder.

As for Barrero, has he played CF all spring? Looking at the stats, doesn’t seem so.

It’s more important to see, once and for all, whether Barrero is ready to become a big league shortstop. The outfield platoon splits against lefties in a building season are secondary.
    Senzel, Pinder or Fairchild is one roster spot. When Senzel and his minor league caliber talent returns, the problem will be exactly the same. 3 Catchers cause this problem.

Stephenson, Casali, Maile (3)

Votto, India, Barrero, Newman, Steer (5)

Myers, Fraley, Friedl, Benson (4)

That's 12 and leaves one spot for Pinder, Fairchild or Senzel.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

There's a lot of uncertainty in the Reds rotation right now.

Luke Weaver (forearm) is scheduled to throw a bullpen soon. David Bell says Opening Day is possible, but they'd have to push hard and it would be close.

Luis Cessa has been a reliever for Team Mexico in the WBC and has only thrown two innings. David Bell said he has the Reds' full support as he competes with Mexico, but he hasn't been able to do the full ramp up process. He could still be ready to go 4-5 innings by Opening Day.

Behind the top three, that leaves Cessa (WBC), Weaver (forearm), Williamson, Overton and Anderson in the mix for two spots.

In the bullpen, Lucas Sims hasn't been throwing for the last few days due to a back spasm.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Luke Weaver (sore forearm) is still working toward pitching off a mound again, but he may not be ready for the start of the season.

Lucas Sims was shut down for a few days with a back spasm, unrelated to his surgery last year.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-18-2023 at 02:19 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'll give this a shot again.

1b Votto
    2b India
    SS Berrero
    3b Steer
    LF Friedl
    CF Benson
    RF Myers
    CA Stephenson
    DH Fraley

CA Maile
    CA Casali
    IF Newman
    UT Vosler
    OF Fairchild

RH Greene
    LH Lodolo
    RH Ashcraft
    LH Williamson
    ?? ??????

As for the bullpen, I don't have a clue.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'll give this a shot again.

1b Votto
    2b India
    SS Berrero
    3b Steer
    LF Friedl
    CF Benson
    RF Myers
    CA Stephenson
    DH Fraley

CA Maile
    CA Casali
    IF Newman
    UT Vosler
    OF Fairchild

RH Greene
    LH Lodolo
    RH Ashcraft
    LH Williamson
    ?? ??????

As for the bullpen, I don't have a clue.
    14 offensive players?

At the expense of a relief arm?

Sacrilege!

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    14 offensive players?

Sacrilege!
    Reds have a game March 30, a day off, then games April 1-6 before an off day.

So, they can use Greene (March 30), then day off March 31, Lodolo (April 1), Ashcraft (April 2), Fourth Starter (April 3), and then Greene again on April 5.

However, they will need a fifth starter on April 6.

So they could go with 14 position players until April 6. They might also go with an extra reliever until April 6.

17. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-19-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Luis Cessa, who had been with Team Mexico, returns to start today.

On the position player side, the lineup looks Opening Day like.

Today's lineup vs the Brewers
    1. Jonathan India (R) 2B
    2. Joey Votto (L) 1B
    3. Wil Myers (R) RF
    4. Tyler Stephenson (R) C
    5. Jake Fraley (L) LF
    6. Will Benson (L) CF
    7. Spencer Steer (R) 3B
    8. Chad Pinder (R) DH
    9. Jose Barrero (R) SS
    P. Luis Cessa (R)
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-19-2023 at 10:51 AM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Reds have a game March 30, a day off, then games April 1-6 before an off day.

So, they can use Greene (March 30), then day off March 31, Lodolo (April 1), Ashcraft (April 2), Fourth Starter (April 3), and then Greene again on April 5.

However, they will need a fifth starter on April 6.

So they could go with 14 position players until April 6. They might also go with an extra reliever until April 6.
    Weather in early April in the Midwest is going to be cold and unsettled. Not impossible that a game or two gets postponed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    14 offensive players?

Sacrilege!
    I know. The horror, right?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-19-2023)

The more I think about it the more I think it’s unlikely that Benson and Freidl both make the roster. I think one of them starts in Louisville.

Fraley needs a RH platoon mate. That’s not really optional at this point. Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be Pinder. Then you’ll need a RH backup CF who can also play RF when Myers plays 1B. That seems to be Fairchild. Votto likely plays 1B about half the time and DH the rest. Stephenson will play some 1B and DH - with Casali getting a little bit of DH run against LHP. Myers will need to play 1B maybe once or twice a week.

Stephenson, Maile, Casali, Votto, India, Barerro, Steer, Newman, Fraley, Pinder, Myers, Fairchild, and let’s say Benson.

Pinder and Myers provide IF depth and Fairchild satisfies the need for a RH OF who can play CF.

If you carry Friedl AND Benson, you have a fair bit of redundancy - unless Votto is going to play much less in 2023.

Turn Off Ads?