Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have a game March 30, a day off, then games April 1-6 before an off day.

So, they can use Greene (March 30), then day off March 31, Lodolo (April 1), Ashcraft (April 2), Fourth Starter (April 3), and then Greene again on April 5.

However, they will need a fifth starter on April 6.

So they could go with 14 position players until April 6. They might also go with an extra reliever until April 6.
    Actually they need one on April 5 not the 6th.

Greene 3/30
    Off day 3/31
    Lodolo 4/1
    Ashcraft 4/2
    Starter 4 on 4/3
    Greene on 4/4 with 4 days rest
    Lodolo on 4/5 with 3 days rest isn’t happening
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone give me a Opening Day Roster. I know its too soon but go ahead and try

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    Actually they need one on April 5 not the 6th.

Greene 3/30
    Off day 3/31
    Lodolo 4/1
    Ashcraft 4/2
    Starter 4 on 4/3
    Greene on 4/4 with 4 days rest
    Lodolo on 4/5 with 3 days rest isn’t happening
    And it won’t matter unless there is a mystery injury.

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers, the minimum is 15 days.

- - - Updated - - -

They’re starting with a 13 man staff.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think it’s unlikely that Benson and Freidl both make the roster. I think one of them starts in Louisville.
    I think you may be right. That'd allow a much better balance amongst OF-- with Pinder (ugh) and Fairchild as platoonmates for Fraley and whichever CF is chosen. Then again, that leaves out Vosler-- whom I suspect is nearly a lock as a backup IF/ DH/ OF. 14 offensive players-- with both Pinder and Fairchild plus Vosler-- makes a ton of sense. Provides platoon advantages throughout the lineup and both LH and RH options for PH duties across the diamond.

So, if that is indeed the case, which CF would you carry-- Friedl or Benson? Friedl's had the better spring and the better small sample audition. Benson has the higher upside.

The more I think about it the more I think it’s unlikely that Benson and Freidl both make the roster. I think one of them starts in Louisville.

Fraley needs a RH platoon mate. That’s not really optional at this point. Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be Pinder. Then you’ll need a RH backup CF who can also play RF when Myers plays 1B. That seems to be Fairchild. Votto likely plays 1B about half the time and DH the rest. Stephenson will play some 1B and DH - with Casali getting a little bit of DH run against LHP. Myers will need to play 1B maybe once or twice a week.

Stephenson, Maile, Casali, Votto, India, Barerro, Steer, Newman, Fraley, Pinder, Myers, Fairchild, and let’s say Benson.

Pinder and Myers provide IF depth and Fairchild satisfies the need for a RH OF who can play CF.

If you carry Friedl AND Benson, you have a fair bit of redundancy - unless Votto is going to play much less in 2023.
    I really don’t want to see Pinder make this team. If the ability to play infield and outfield is so important, start McClain’s clock. Where and when will Pinder play infield anyway? Newman is the emergency infielder who can play 4, 6, and 3. Friedl deserves the spot and Fairchild can hit lefties and play CF.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I really don’t want to see Pinder make this team. If the ability to play infield and outfield is so important, start McClain’s clock. Where and when will Pinder play infield anyway? Newman is the emergency infielder who can play 4, 6, and 3. Friedl deserves the spot and Fairchild can hit lefties and play CF.
    Agree, and I'd also rather see 4 LHH in the line-up vs. a RH starter than 3 LHH. Both Friedl and Benson deserve to play, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I’m good with .090 Pinder getting cut. I know Bell says he was a team leader at Oakland last year. That leadership lead them to a worse record than the Reds. 60-102

So I guess he’s George Armstrong Pinder. Hell of a leader.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    I’m good with .090 Pinder getting cut. I know Bell says he was a team leader at Oakland last year. That leadership lead them to a worse record than the Reds. 60-102

So I guess he’s George Armstrong Pinder. Hell of a leader.
    0 for 3 again today. Down to .088. But he can play infield.
    Hey just saw Reynolds is back. There’s a decent non-Pinder option.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    0 for 3 again today. Down to .088. But he can play infield.
    Hey just saw Reynolds is back. There’s a decent non-Pinder option.
    Spring Training Stats don't mean anything but he went 0 for 4 today, he's now hitting .086.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think you may be right. That'd allow a much better balance amongst OF-- with Pinder (ugh) and Fairchild as platoonmates for Fraley and whichever CF is chosen. Then again, that leaves out Vosler-- whom I suspect is nearly a lock as a backup IF/ DH/ OF. 14 offensive players-- with both Pinder and Fairchild plus Vosler-- makes a ton of sense. Provides platoon advantages throughout the lineup and both LH and RH options for PH duties across the diamond.

So, if that is indeed the case, which CF would you carry-- Friedl or Benson? Friedl's had the better spring and the better small sample audition. Benson has the higher upside.
    Benson has options, I could see him beginning at AAA. Friedl, I figure he stays or gets traded at this stage, he’s a big league player for Reds or somewhere else.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Spring Training Stats don't mean anything but he went 0 for 4 today, he's now hitting .086.
    Spring stats don’t mean anything if you had a good year last year.
    Spring stats this bad do mean something for Pinder who hit .235/.263/.385 in 360 at bats last year. He hasn’t had a decent year since 2018, his only decent year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

There’s more to be gained by breaking camp with Friedl and sending Benson to AAA. We’ll get a look at Friedl for a few months and maybe - best case - he holds his own and draws trade interest at the deadline - allowing us to get a Tyler Naquin-esque return. Worst case? He fails and we lose nothing. Benson is younger and less accomplished at the MLB level and could therefore likely benefit more than Friedl from some time in Louisville. Hopefully, he forces his way on to the roster with CES in July/August.

Plus, some posters think Friedl is gonna hit 80 triples or whatever.

I’d be fine either way, frankly. There’s also more downside in Benson coming up first and failing. That’s a worst-case that’s no fun and likely results in several more months of the Nick Senzel Experience.
    Last edited by redsfan9988; 03-19-2023 at 08:38 PM.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-19-2023),Kingspoint (03-19-2023),Revering4Blue (03-20-2023)

Pinder doesn’t have to make the team. I hope he doesn’t. But I think he will. I’d rather keep Vosler. I don’t think it really makes that much of a difference, frankly.

There’s more to be gained by breaking camp with Friedl and sending Benson to AAA. We’ll get a look at Friedl for a few months and maybe - best case - he holds his own and draws trade interest at the deadline - allowing us to get a Tyler Naquin-esque return. Worst case? He fails and we lose nothing. Benson is younger and less accomplished at the MLB level and could therefore likely benefit more than Friedl from some time in Louisville. Hopefully, he forces his way on to the roster with CES in July/August.

Plus, some posters think Friedl is gonna hit 80 triples or whatever.

I’d be fine either way, frankly. There’s also more downside in Benson coming up first and failing. That’s a worst-case that’s no fun and likely results in several more months of the Nick Senzel Experience.
    Friedl could fail. He still has to prove himself. If he does prove himself and earns 450 Plate Appearances, he will lead the league in Triples, somewhere between 12-15. I give him about a 50-50 chance of doing this. He has a lot of competition in order to keep his job, should he earn it.

- - - Updated - - -

How does Matt Reynolds fit into all of this?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Here's what the Reds pitching staff looks like right now, and here's what I'd project the starting lineup to be.

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...807425/photo/1

Charlie Goldsmith projects Henry Ramos making the team and platooning as a starter. That's so special that the Reds are the kind of team that could give an opportunity like that to a guy who's been bouncing around pro baseball since 2010 but has only 50 MLB at bats (.555 OPS).

Turn Off Ads?