Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you feel if Thom got another chance?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: How would you feel if Thom got another chance?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    he's definitely been 'canceled.' there is nothing nefarious -- it's just a fact.

are you suggesting that if thom never said the homophobic slur that he would not have a job right now? i'm not even talking about with the reds necessarily. he can't find a job anywhere. (his own youtube show doesn't count)

so, explain how thom was not 'canceled' due to his comments. he would definitely have a job right now if he didn't say that word. he wasn't canceled for being a bad announcer. he was canceled because he slipped up and said that word. otherwise, he would have a job right now.
    I mean that’s literally not correct is it? I mentioned it above but he’s been doing like division 2 broadcasting or something like that right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I completely agree with this. That didn't come off as someone quoting blazing saddles with the guys to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Oh come on... There's nothing unique to Kansas City in regard to homosexuality. It was 100 percent a poor, outdated, and offensive joke.

Go watch the first Hangover movie and prepare to be outraged, if what Thom said really freaks anyone out.

The times they are a changing. Thom doesn't strike me as someone who can read the room, and Thom strikes me as an old fogie who is probably accustomed to being able to get away with unacceptable jokes like that. Also a crappy baseball announcer. That equation is why he got what he got.
    His tone just didn’t sell it to me as a joke. And just in the context of what kinda dude Thom is, pretty plausible he’d use that word non jokingly.

Big departure from “paging Dr. ******” lol

2. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (02-28-2023),RedTeamGo! (02-28-2023),Ron Madden (02-28-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

He might not have had his first chance if not for his Daddy.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-28-2023 at 12:37 PM.

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-28-2023),mth123 (02-28-2023),RedTeamGo! (02-28-2023),Wonderful Monds (02-28-2023)

Oh come on... There's nothing unique to Kansas City in regard to homosexuality. It was 100 percent a poor, outdated, and offensive joke.

Go watch the first Hangover movie and prepare to be outraged, if what Thom said really freaks anyone out.

The times they are a changing. Thom doesn't strike me as someone who can read the room, and Thom strikes me as an old fogie who is probably accustomed to being able to get away with unacceptable jokes like that. Also a crappy baseball announcer. That equation is why he got what he got.
    I am not outraged by either Blazing Saddles or The Hangover. Both are great.

He didn't quote either movie. I think you are misremembering. He said KC was "one of the f** capitals of the world" - I am not in his brain, I don't know why he said it, he didn't say he was quoting a movie, did he? I mean, if he had been quoting Blazing Saddles why wouldn't he say that he was?

If I quoted The Hangover randomly to one of my friends while trying to get them away from his wife to go on a guys trip and said "paging doctor ....." and it got caught on a hot mic the literal first thing I would say is "I was quoting The Hangover, I really shouldn't have said that, I apologize" - it would be the first thing I would say in my apology.

I have been watching a lot of Narcos recently, the characters use the f-word as a common derogatory name for people they do not like. Pablo Escobar says it constantly. The tone Thom used when he used the word sounded more like that than quoting Blazing Saddles to me. It reminded me of when I was in HS over 20 years ago at an all guys catholic school and the rival football team would often be called "a bunch of f**s"
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-28-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Canceled" eh?

Other word salad choices

Dismissed

Let Go

Drew unneeded negative press to his employers doorstep

Became a distraction as a public-facing figure

Destroyed his market value in broadcasting with a hot mike incident

Made his own bed
    ok, that's become a hot-button term for some reason and triggers some people. whatever. it's semantics. fine, let's call it "dismissed without a chance at finding another gig." i mean "canceled" brings more brevity to the table, but it's cool either way.

There's a long list of young people who would love to have the gigs that Tom had. After all of them have had a proper chance at it, then it will be time to revisit giving Tom another chance.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I am not outraged by either Blazing Saddles or The Hangover. Both are great.

He didn't quote either movie. I think you are misremembering. He said KC was "one of the f** capitals of the world" - I am not in his brain, I don't know why he said it, he didn't say he was quoting a movie, did he? I mean, if he had been quoting Blazing Saddles why wouldn't he say that he was?

If I quoted The Hangover randomly to one of my friends while trying to get them away from his wife to go on a guys trip and said "paging doctor ....." and it got caught on a hot mic the literal first thing I would say is "I was quoting The Hangover, I really shouldn't have said that, I apologize" - it would be the first thing I would say in my apology.

I have been watching a lot of Narcos recently, the characters use the f-word as a common derogatory name for people they do not like. Pablo Escobar says it constantly. The tone Thom used when he used the word sounded more like that than quoting Blazing Saddles to me. It reminded me of when I was in HS over 20 years ago at an all guys catholic school and the rival football team would often be called "a bunch of f**s"
    Do you not recall the line from Blazing Saddles? Seems like you don't, otherwise you'd be like "ohh... With a huge eye roll". As for Thom's tone, what else is new with that guy. I thought Winker was going to punch him when he called him Da wink.

Anyway, the line was "I hired you boys to get some track laid, not dance around like a bunch of Kansas City ..."

I think people were looking for a reason to blast Thom, and he provided it on a silver platter via a tasteless, out of touch joke. If you thought he was serious or that it contained malice, I disagree.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-03-2023)

I don’t want him back. And it really has nothing with what got him kicked off the air. For whatever reason, his attitude and personality doesn’t mesh with the pace and ethos of baseball. He is aggravating and unpleasant to listen to. Obviously, qualities that don’t attract customers and watchers.

His faux stentorian voice maybe goes with the NFL. But nobody owes him anything. Let him earn his way back if he wants back in the announcing game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

919191 (03-08-2023),CesarGeronimo (02-28-2023),REDREAD (03-01-2023),Redsfaithful (02-28-2023),Ron Madden (02-28-2023),westofyou (02-28-2023),Wonderful Monds (02-28-2023)

Do you not recall the line from Blazing Saddles? Seems like you don't, otherwise you'd be like "ohh... With a huge eye roll". As for Thom's tone, what else is new with that guy. I thought Winker was going to punch him when he called him Da wink.

Anyway, the line was "I hired you boys to get some track laid, not dance around like a bunch of Kansas City ..."

I think people were looking for a reason to blast Thom, and he provided it on a silver platter via a tasteless, out of touch joke. If you thought he was serious or that it contained malice, I disagree.
    I do remember the quote from Blazing Saddles, seen it many times, Thom didn’t say it.

I do remember the quote from Blazing Saddles, seen it many times, Thom didn’t say it.
    Meh, it was paraphrased, and with that stupid bass in his "broadcasting voice", so the tone was just as awful as the content. In my many years of comedy viewing and listening experience, I have yet to hear another reference to Kansas City in this regard. YMMV.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

He didn't like the sport he was announcing the first go around, so why bring him back?
    Where we gonna go?

17. Likes:

KronoRed (02-28-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Meh, it was paraphrased, and with that stupid bass in his "broadcasting voice", so the tone was just as awful as the content. In my many years of comedy viewing and listening experience, I have yet to hear another reference to Kansas City in this regard. YMMV.
    I actually have never seen Blazing Saddles and haven’t noticed anyone point that out before, so I guess that could make it more possible he was just referencing that joke or something.

I still don’t really think he’s been actually cancelled though. I think he was an already unpopular announcer who displayed really nuclear bad level judgment to make that kind of reference anywhere near a hot mic. So that’s why no one would touch him, the PR isn’t worth it. If it was Joe Buck, I think he’d have been back in the booth a couple months later or something.

19. Likes:

Chip R (03-01-2023)

Did he start belting out Swing Low, Sweet Chariot afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I actually have never seen Blazing Saddles
    You should really remedy that.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-01-2023)

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don’t see how saying a city is the *** capital of the world is similar to the blazing saddles quote. There is one shared word.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You should really remedy that.
    My father took me when I was 13, I about peed my pants

25. Likes:

Boston Red (02-28-2023)

Turn Off Ads?