Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What will it take for Reds fans to forgive the Castellinis?

Re: What will it take for Reds fans to forgive the Castellinis?

I'll just let Bob Castellini speak:

We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati. The Reds have a long tradition of success. Only three cities have won more World Series than Cincinnati. We will work hard to be a championship team again.

We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how it’s done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.

We will have a greater community presence. We will continue to improve the lives of area children by building on already successful Reds Community Fund programs like the Rookie Success League. Whether it’s providing a way for inner-city children to play baseball or generating funds for charity, we’ll take this outreach to a new level.

We will rekindle the Reds Nation spirit. We’ll share our story and our strategy, communicating directly with fans everywhere who want to know what is going on. When you visit the ballpark, we’ll periodically be asking for your feedback so we can continuously improve the experience. Our goal is that you feel a part of the Reds Nation whether you’re at the game, listening on the radio or living in another major league city.

We will not rest until you are happy. The Reds are, after all, your team. You buy the tickets. You watch the games. You support us financially and emotionally. Without you, the Reds cannot be great. We know you won’t be happy until the team wins. We won’t be happy, either.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-06-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see your point but improving to 86 wins in just 2 years would be an enormous achievement which should be applauded. If they do it with "controllable players" then they've really accomplished something. Obviously they can't tear down that 86 win team and force another rebuild on us but that goes w/o saying.
    But had they not torn everything down, they would have won around that many anyway. Had they made select moves instead of just dealing away everybody, they would have started with 80 to 85 win team, added their own prospects (Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Friedl, etc) and then dealt a few guys for big league help and they'd be way better than an 85 win team.

I'm not giving anyone credit for putting their fanbase through the wringer just to end up right back where they started. If that's all that we can expect, just leave it alone and avoid all the heartache. For this to be worth it, there needs to be multiple play-off appearances over several years with some deep runs into thise play-offs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (03-02-2023),REDREAD (03-06-2023),Revering4Blue (03-02-2023)

#SellTheTeamBob

Seriously, want me to forgive? Then stop operating the team like a "nonprofit" and simply doing the most with however much money shows up. Instead operate it like you would a regular business where you invest in the product to grow the business.

The fact that the ownership is stretched so thin across multiple parties seems to be a significant hindrance. Too many vetoes.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect any owners to lose money hand over fist even if the value is appreciating over time. But running it like a nonprofit isn't it either. Sports are a competitive business. If you aren't going to try to compete, then GTFO.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-02-2023 at 04:39 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-02-2023),Bourgeois Zee (03-03-2023),mbgrayson (03-04-2023),REDREAD (03-06-2023),Ron Madden (03-02-2023),StRedlegs900 (03-03-2023),The Operator (03-03-2023),UKWhoDey (03-02-2023),wlf WV (03-05-2023),Wonderful Monds (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I haven't forgiven Mike Brown. I don't see him as integral to the recent Bengals' success. Rather I see that as due to the Blackburns taking over.

I won't forgive the Castellinis until they sell the team.

Exactly. And Brown still meddles. Jackson Carman. Allows Paul Alexander to still give advice. Jackson Carmen.

Many forget that ownership has spent money on players, and those players did not preform, multiple times in the playoffs. So why as ownership would you continue to spend large amounts of money on players when they dont preform.

Reds players always get a pass for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Did you forgive Mike Brown for everything he did in the 90s/early 00s after 2003-2005?

Right now good will is so low that the Reds haven't sold out opening day yet (last I checked). It's way way worse than "we won 77 we're on the upswing" because I think that the average fan is going to follow that up with either "great, time to trade India" or "oh wow they extended India, now they won't be able to pay for anything else and he will stop trying"

It's about the worst state of a fanbase that I have ever seen, and I'm not being hyperbolic. Even my Browns fan friends during the Watson disaster time were more engaged than this.
    Mike Brown hasn't changed a bit. He lucked into Joe Burrow and a few things fell his way whereas things earlier didn't so I guess he was due (KiJana Carter's injury; Akili Smith's drinking, Palmer's knee injury)

I accepted that MB was a poor owner but he also wasn't going anywhere so I rooted for the Bengals to win inspite of him

11. Likes:

Plus Plus (03-02-2023),Revering4Blue (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But had they not torn everything down, they would have won around that many anyway. Had they made select moves instead of just dealing away everybody, they would have started with 80 to 85 win team, added their own prospects (Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Friedl, etc) and then dealt a few guys for big league help and they'd be way better than an 85 win team.

I'm not giving anyone credit for putting their fanbase through the wringer just to end up right back where they started. If that's all that we can expect, just leave it alone and avoid all the heartache. For this to be worth it, there needs to be multiple play-off appearances over several years with some deep runs into thise play-offs.
    It's hard to play the what if game, especially with Covid and all. We'll never know if they could have improved beyond two games over .500, which I believe they were when they last went to the playoffs

They need to get serious and spend some money building and supporting this team over a multi-year period. And they need to be smart about spending the money. Risk is inevitable, but by hoping for breakout years from 15 to 20 players on the same team, their chance of success appears quite small.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

14. Likes:

REDREAD (03-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    First step: offer Hunter Greene a 10 year extension
    That has disaster written all over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Many forget that ownership has spent money on players, and those players did not preform, multiple times in the playoffs. So why as ownership would you continue to spend large amounts of money on players when they dont preform.

Reds players always get a pass for some reason.
    Playoffs? They’ve made the playoffs 3 times in 23 years.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-02-2023),Chip R (03-03-2023),Crumbley (03-03-2023),LexRedsFan (03-06-2023),REDREAD (03-06-2023),Revering4Blue (03-02-2023),The Operator (03-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'll just let Bob Castellini speak:

We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati. The Reds have a long tradition of success. Only three cities have won more World Series than Cincinnati. We will work hard to be a championship team again.

We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how it’s done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.

We will have a greater community presence. We will continue to improve the lives of area children by building on already successful Reds Community Fund programs like the Rookie Success League. Whether it’s providing a way for inner-city children to play baseball or generating funds for charity, we’ll take this outreach to a new level.

We will rekindle the Reds Nation spirit. We’ll share our story and our strategy, communicating directly with fans everywhere who want to know what is going on. When you visit the ballpark, we’ll periodically be asking for your feedback so we can continuously improve the experience. Our goal is that you feel a part of the Reds Nation whether you’re at the game, listening on the radio or living in another major league city.

We will not rest until you are happy. The Reds are, after all, your team. You buy the tickets. You watch the games. You support us financially and emotionally. Without you, the Reds cannot be great. We know you won’t be happy until the team wins. We won’t be happy, either.
    Reading that is a giant kick in the junk.

18. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (03-02-2023)

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

20. Likes:

stlwahoo (03-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That has disaster written all over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Playoffs? They’ve made the playoffs 3 times in 23 years.
    They've made it 4x. Just to use an example, Joey Votto played in all 4 of those series and his OPS was a mere .563...that's over 100 points lower than Tucker Barnhardt's career OPS.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-02-2023)

They've made it 4x. Just to use an example, Joey Votto played in all 4 of those series and his OPS was a mere .563...that's over 100 points lower than Tucker Barnhardt's career OPS.
    One of those series was a play in game and another was a 3 game series in which they lost the first two. And it’s not like Votto hasn’t been criticized by many reds fans.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

24. Likes:

Chip R (03-03-2023)

Just like in the lockout threads you never fail to support and defend the Owners while blaming the Players for everything wrong in the game.

26. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-03-2023),The Operator (03-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Just like in the lockout threads you never fail to support and defend the Owners while blaming the Players for everything wrong in the game.
    Just like with Mike Brown we're stuck with the Castellinis. I accept that. Let me make this clear: They are horrible owners!!! Horrible!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    One of those series was a play in game and another was a 3 game series in which they lost the first two. And it’s not like Votto hasn’t been criticized by many reds fans.
    You said they made the playoffs 4x. If you're not counting the play-in game, fine. Just wanted to clear that up

28. Likes:

Chip R (03-03-2023),Kingspoint (03-02-2023),Revering4Blue (03-02-2023)

Turn Off Ads?