Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3-5-23 Reds @ A's 4:05 PM

Re: 3-5-23 Reds @ A's 4:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I never counted Dunn or Lively as an option for the rotation. Overton’s been disappointing, but it’s just been two appearances. But even if he pitches his way out of contention for a rotation spot, Williamson and Stoudt are looking stronger than expected.

I would have liked the Reds to have signed another veteran starter, but I’m not too worried about the last two spots, especially considering this is a rebuilding season.
    Agree on Williamson and Stoudt, but it's very early and throwing one of them into the rotation immediately carries a good bit of risk. If you start working out the numbers of innings needed from the starters--and without way overburdening Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft (the three of whom I'd limit to 420)--it's pretty hard to see how you can do without some contribution from Dunn, Overton, and Lively. So far I'm generally encouraged by this ST and I'm never willing to write a year off, no matter how bad the prospects look. All of which suggests to me that the acquisition of another starter with major league experience--and a better projection than Anderson--would be a wise move and something, frankly, that management owes the fans. If he's healthy, I'd certainly be talking to Chris Archer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Dunn, Overton, Lively. We're seeing the systematic undoing of those fantasy options for Number 5 starter. Now down to Weaver, Cessa, Williamson, and Stoudt to cover the last two spots. Looks like we'll see a lot of Chase Anderson this season. Imperative they sign somebody.
    That's early in the season.

Andrew Abbott can rightfully add his name as early as June 1, IMO, if he's dominant in AA. Ditto Boyle, Phillips (who looked good in his short stint), and the other AA SP.

Agree on Williamson and Stoudt, but it's very early and throwing one of them into the rotation immediately carries a good bit of risk. If you start working out the numbers of innings needed from the starters--and without way overburdening Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft (the three of whom I'd limit to 420)--it's pretty hard to see how you can do without some contribution from Dunn, Overton, and Lively. So far I'm generally encouraged by this ST and I'm never willing to write a year off, no matter how bad the prospects look. All of which suggests to me that the acquisition of another starter with major league experience--and a better projection than Anderson--would be a wise move and something, frankly, that management owes the fans. If he's healthy, I'd certainly be talking to Chris Archer.
    Archer would be a pipe dream.

I'm guessing they'll wait until cuts are made, then put Dunn on the IL and sign someone who gets excised from another 40-man roster. Perhaps they'll make a deal late in Spring Training.

If the Dodgers don't like their internal options at SS, I could see the Reds dangling Barrero, Newman, or even McLain for a SP. The SP would change based on the type of player picked, of course, with Newman earning an Erlin or Dylan Covey type (not any better than what the Reds have, IMO), Barrero receiving a SP prospect like Michael Grove maybe, and McLain earning a Gavin Stone or Ryan Pepiot.

I’m not throwing Williamson and Stoudt into the rotation, just like I’m not counting out Overton. I think Cessa is a lock for the 4th spot, which leaves Williamson, Stoudt, and Overton battling for the #5 spot. Even with some injuries, that decent for a rebuilding team, and miles better than last year when the Reds were relying on Vlad and Sanmartin for the #4&5 spots.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Williamson pitched 122 innings last year in 27 starts. There's no reason he can't go 30 starts this year and give the Reds an entire season in the rotation. He's a former top 100 prospect that's about to turn 25 so if he's pitching well by the end of ST then he should be in the rotation.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (03-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’m not throwing Williamson and Stoudt into the rotation, just like I’m not counting out Overton. I think Cessa is a lock for the 4th spot, which leaves Williamson, Stoudt, and Overton battling for the #5 spot. Even with some injuries, that decent for a rebuilding team, and miles better than last year when the Reds were relying on Vlad and Sanmartin for the #4&5 spots.
    You forgot Weaver.

9. Likes:

757690 (03-06-2023)

No doubt Weaver/Cessa is plan A. If they can each throw 210 innings the Reds will have it covered. I think it's because I kind of like this team that I'd like to see them add somebody. I've no argument with any of the above but I do think what we've seen from or about Dunn, Overton, and Lively this spring suggests, once again, the desirability of adding another guy with some major league starting cred.

Turn Off Ads?