Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spring Training Thread: The Younguns Impress & Impressions

Spring Training Thread: The Younguns Impress & Impressions

I think that the highlight of Spring Training so far has been the conintuing development of many Red prospects. From Matt McLain to Brandon Williamson, Red prospects have almost universally shown out so far in limited Spring ABs and innings. Which prospect has changed/ improved your opinion of him based on Spring Training look-sees and results the most?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training Thread: The Younguns Impress & Impressions

Obviously CES is turning heads, but that's all he's done so far in his career is be underrated and then put up big numbers. If Votto isn't ready by opening day I think you have to consider CES at 1B/DH to start the year. If there's things to work(most likely defense) then he can go to AAA when Votto is back.

McLain was my pick for the prospect to be most aggressive with before ST started so nothing has changed. He's has a strong all around game, and is likely MLB ready right now.

Elly is doing freakish things that only he can do. You don't burn a year of control on him this year, but he's going to be a ticket seller once word of mouth gets out that we have a new #44 that may be even more exciting than Davis.

Williamson should be in the OD rotation if he keeps pitching well. There's no one else competing for a rotation spot with his upside.

I think we could see Abbott latter in the year, and I get Travis Wood vibes from him. He could be a solid back end of the rotation guy starting this summer for the Reds. Phillips is likely at least a year away, but may have higher upside than any SP in the Reds system if he puts it together. Really nasty breaking stuff with a 96+ fastball.

Benson is playing well and looks like a total steal so far for the Reds. I expect Steer to be at least a solid player for the Reds with the potential to be an very good player. So it should be a really fun year from a player development perspective as we see how all the young guns sort out.

These next few years could look a lot like the mid 80's Reds with so many talented players coming up in a short period of time.
    Last edited by JCM11; 03-06-2023 at 11:06 AM.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-06-2023)

It's quite early but for me it's definitely Matt McLain.

There are a lot of things that will change between now and the start of the minor league season, but the Reds had three of their top infield prospects playing together in Friday’s simulated game: Cam Collier at third base, Victor Acosta at shortstop and Sal Stewart at second base. All three are candidates to begin the year at Low-A Daytona. Collier is the No. 4-rated prospect in the farm system, per Baseball America, Stewart is No. 8 and Acosta is No. 18.

Tayron Guerrero, a 6-foot-8 righty, looked sharp in the ninth inning of the Reds’ spring training win over the Diamondbacks on Friday. He struck out two and induced an infield pop-up to earn the save in the 6-5 win.

He’s had a rough spring, giving up eight runs in his first three outings, but he’s one of the more intriguing arms in camp with his size. He once hit 104 mph in an MLB game, but he topped out at 97 mph Friday.

“The last two times he’s been good, but that was the best, for sure,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He struggled a little bit early (in camp). Just like for any player, sometimes you’re trying so hard, and sometimes you just kind of stop caring so much and just trust your ability. I mean, that's tough right there, 97 mph downhill. He's a big tall guy and that's tough to hit.”

Righty reliever Braxton Roxby (High-A Dayton in 2022) probably drew the most awkward swings and raised eyebrows from hitters when they saw his slider during an intrasquad game Friday. Senzel nodded after he thought one slider was coming inside at him and then it broke over the inside corner.

If I heard correctly, Roxby was sitting around 95-97 mph with his fastball. Ruben Ibarra (Dayton) had an RBI double on a chopper down the third-base line against him, but Roxby struck out three with one walk in his lone inning.

Owen Holt (Low-A Daytona/Dayton), another righty reliever, was sitting 94-96 mph with his fastball during his inning and had good movement on his offspeed pitch. Outfielder Blake Dunn (Daytona) hit a triple against him, though he probably would’ve been held to a double if the ball was played better in the outfield.
    https://post.news/@/bobbynight/2MvBs...0VSZYbEsSUrUdZ

7. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (03-12-2023)

Lots there to unpack:

- Sal Stewart at 2B is something I didn't think possible. With that stick*, I'm extremely hopeful. That said, if Sal Stewart is at 2B, where are Victor Jorge, Johnny Ascanio, and the Arizona infield from last year? Those guys hit really well and have nothing left to prove in Arizona. They're almost assuredly not ready for Dayton. Seems like an odd choice.

- Braxton Roby sitting 95-97 with that slider? Yeah, if that's the case, he'll be in Cincinnati relatively soon.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 03-12-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?