Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Encarnacion-Strand bids to land a roster spot

Re: Encarnacion-Strand bids to land a roster spot

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the TV Deal situation means the Reds will be dumping players sooner rather than later. I could see several guys up by Memorial Day with guys making even a little more than minimum shipped off by Memorial Day. Myers, Newman, Sims and Senzel would be the first on the list and possibly one of Casali or Maile (with somebody like Chuckie called up). I even wonder if some of the non-roster guys may be released before the season simply because they'll make more than the minimum if added to the roster. Guys like Pinder and Strickland might be examples.

Not sure if that will effect CES, but I could see middle of the diamond types added EDLC, McClain, Siani to backfill.
    I would agree if they hadn't already stripped the payroll
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

2. Likes:

757690 (03-17-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I would agree if they hadn't already stripped the payroll
    They can strip it more for more lost revenue. Myers, Newman and Sim would cut $12 Million. They could save another couple Million by Dealing Casali to a team with a need and replacing him with Chuckie or Romine. Losing $60 Million in revenue will require actions to mitigate the damage IMO. They'll recoup some from ad money, but not all of it. That's where I think some early trades of some of these guys will happen.

Honestly, I'd rather they do it now than give us the story this winter that additions won't be possible because of the TV situation this year. They aren't going to need Newman or Myers when its time to contend, but they are going to need to sign a free agent starting pitcher or two or any thoughts of contention are a pipedream. I don't want this winter to be a time for further cuts because the Reds lost the TV deal. Do it now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

They can strip it more for more lost revenue. Myers, Newman and Sim would cut $12 Million. They could save another couple Million by Dealing Casali to a team with a need and replacing him with Chuckie or Romine. Losing $60 Million in revenue will require actions to mitigate the damage IMO. They'll recoup some from ad money, but not all of it. That's where I think some early trades of some of these guys will happen.

Honestly, I'd rather they do it now than give us the story this winter that additions won't be possible because of the TV situation this year. They aren't going to need Newman or Myers when its time to contend, but they are going to need to sign a free agent starting pitcher or two or any thoughts of contention are a pipedream. I don't want this winter to be a time for further cuts because the Reds lost the TV deal. Do it now.
    Everyone knew this was coming for awhile. The Reds added all the players you listed to cut knowing that this was likely going to happen.

It seems that this is the reason the Reds used for the cut from $114M down to $80M
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

You seem to be conflating what you WANT them to do and predicting what they WILL do. If you want them to dump players now, that's fine. I disagree that they will

7. Likes:

westofyou (03-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You seem to be conflating what you WANT them to do and predicting what they WILL do. If you want them to dump players now, that's fine. I disagree that they will
    I think when the dust settles and they don't get their payment from Bally for $60 Million (52% they keep) they'll be scrambling. If that's the case, I want them to dump now rather than have this require further cuts after the season and affect 2024. I also think ownership will want to. They haven't been shy about using any excuse to make cuts.

If they don't do it now, I think they certainly will do it next year. I'm hoping this is the last year we have so much dreck on the pitching staff. They have 3 starters and maybe 2 decent relievers (one of whom will probably be the 5th starter). Get some starters and earmark some of the better kids for the pen. I don't see that happening this winter if this revenue loss actually occurs. Heck, its what they should have done this year instead of spending it on guys like Myers and Newman.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think when the dust settles and they don't get their payment from Bally for $60 Million (52% they keep) they'll be scrambling. If that's the case, I want them to dump now rather than have this require further cuts after the season and affect 2024. I also think ownership will want to. They haven't been shy about using any excuse to make cuts.

If they don't do it now, I think they certainly will do it next year. I'm hoping this is the last year we have so much dreck on the pitching staff. They have 3 starters and maybe 2 decent relievers (one of whom will probably be the 5th starter). Get some starters and earmark some of the better kids for the pen. I don't see that happening this winter if this revenue loss actually occurs. Heck, its what they should have done this year instead of spending it on guys like Myers and Newman.
    I really just disagree on all counts. Moose comes off the books. Votto comes off the books (minus the buyout). That's ~$35M. They had already cut the payroll $40M.

They are already trading Myers at the deadline. Sims and Newman could go too. So you're really only saving $6M (half their 2023 salary). If that $6M is holding them back, SELL THE DAGGONE TEAM ALREADY

10. Likes:

westofyou (03-17-2023)

They can afford the costs now, that's why they set the budget where it is

They are not depending on that Bally money to run the team

12. Likes:

757690 (03-17-2023),MoneyInTheBank (03-17-2023)

And, they'll probably receive close to $100M from revenue sharing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?