Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion-Strand bids to land a roster spot

Re: Encarnacion-Strand bids to land a roster spot

Cincinnati Reds cut 5 prospects from camp, including Christian Encarnacion-Strand

The Cincinnati Reds cut five prospects from Major League camp Tuesday, including Christian Encarnacion-Strand who was one of the hitting standouts of the spring.

Along with Encarnacion-Strand, the Reds sent shortstop Elly De La Cruz, infielder Matt McLain and pitchers Ricky Karcher and Casey Legumina to minor league camp. None of the five players have any Major League experience and McLain was the only one who had prior experience in big-league camp.

Encarnacion-Strand, who began playing more first base during camp, led the Cactus League in home runs (four) and RBI (13) while posting a .557 batting average.

“At this point, there are still little things he knows he needs to work on,” Reds Manager David Bell said.

“Of course, he was disappointed because he wants to be here like he should. But he understands the little things now that he needs to go work on. Sometimes just being here brings those to light a little bit more.”

The decision to send Encarnacion-Strand to minor league camp was not related to Joey Votto’s status for the start of the season.
    Votto played in his first Major League spring training game Sunday and he remains a question mark for the Opening Day roster.

De La Cruz, the top-rated prospect in the organization, would’ve needed a monster spring to break camp with the club. He flashed his talent, but becoming more consistent defensively will be a focus for him.

McLain, a first-round pick in the 2021 MLB Draft, had a stellar camp. He had six hits in 16 at-bats with two doubles and a homer while compiling more walks (eight) than strikeouts (three). He split his time between second base and shortstop during the spring.

“He's so close. He impresses us most in the way he goes about his business,” Bell said. “ “He can hit a fastball. They cannot beat him in the zone.

I think experiencing that at this level, even at spring training, will give him more confidence to trust that. He walked a lot in camp. I think he's starting to believe and see he can hit the best fastball and they can’t beat him in the zone. That will help him control the zone even better.”

The Reds have 49 players remaining in camp with a little more than two weeks left before Opening Day.

Lefthanded pitcher Brandon Williamson is the only prospect in camp without any Major League experience as he competes for a spot in the rotation following Tuesday's cuts.

full story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...age=AA186gpF|2
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-14-2023 at 08:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You already knew...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I wouldn't rush him. He has less than 200 ABs above A ball and I wouldn't make too much of a couple dozen spring training ABs.

Let him see AA/AAA pitching for a couple months. If he's still impressing with the bat, then you can bring him up.
    They didn't do that with India and he won rookie of the year! CES is having a awesome spring and he isn't good enough to make this roster? It's all about saving money for 2030. Nothing about winning a dang thing fir the fans anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    You already knew...
    If you did not then you don't follow MLB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    They didn't do that with India and he won rookie of the year! CES is having a awesome spring and he isn't good enough to make this roster? It's all about saving money for 2030. Nothing about winning a dang thing fir the fans anytime soon
    26 at bats

He had 26 at bats

Pump the brakes a bit

6. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (03-14-2023),GAC (03-16-2023),MikeS21 (03-15-2023),Redhook (03-14-2023),Ron Madden (03-14-2023)

His defense hurt his chances

8. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023),GAC (03-16-2023),Redhook (03-14-2023),redsfan9988 (03-14-2023),Revering4Blue (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If you did not then you don't follow MLB

- - - Updated - - -

26 at bats

He had 26 at bats

Pump the brakes a bit
    CES has done more in 26 ABs than India did in 48 AB's in spring training 2021( 3 hrs and batted .313)

With Votto coming back now (apparently), there was no place to play CES.

Since the Reds have already punted on the season, there was no urgency to bringing CES up. The rational side of me understands that. The fan side of me says why the hell not bring him up. Being a realist, I’m not getting all upset. I just hope he continues to rake at AAA and forces the Reds hand. I hope the young man keeps his chin up.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023),MikeS21 (03-15-2023),Old school 1983 (03-15-2023),Redhook (03-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    With Votto coming back now (apparently), there was no place to play CES.

Since the Reds have already punted on the season, there was no urgency to bringing CES up. The rational side of me understands that. The fan side of me says why the hell not bring him up. Being a realist, I’m not getting all upset. I just hope he continues to rake at AAA and forces the Reds hand. I hope the young man keeps his chin up.
    As an original member of the CES fan club, I agree with this. The Reds aren’t going to be good this year and CES needs to learn a new position. If the Reds were a contender, I’d argue he could DH a large portion of the year, but obviously they’re not. Send him down, let him get in 2-3 months playing first then bring him up for good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

13. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023),Roy Tucker (03-15-2023)

Once again, it's a couple dozen ABs and he has no significant experience beyond A ball. Stop overreacting.

The pitching they see in Spring Training is not the same thing as the regular season. First off, you're facing a lot of guys that aren't going to be at the MLB level. Then you have others that are merely trying to ramp back up for the season, work on one particular pitch, etc.

There are countless examples of guys absolutely dominating ST and it never translating to the regular season. Likewise, there are guys that look like they're using a pool noodle at the plate in spring, yet destroy baseballs come April.

In 2017, Votto hit .200 with a .578 OPS in 50 spring training ABs. He went on to finish 2nd in MVP voting.

15. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    You already knew...
    Did we? Historically, the Reds bring up prospects earlier than a lot of teams. Leake, Bailey, India, Greene, Barrero, etc

I am old enough to remember RZ being quite upset they burned Leake’s extra year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-15-2023),Revering4Blue (03-15-2023)

If CES spends the next three months at Louisville, I’ll wager he’s a top-25 prospect on some mid-season lists. This guy is going to hit.

19. Likes:

malcontent (03-15-2023)

CES has done more in 26 ABs than India did in 48 AB's in spring training 2021( 3 hrs and batted .313)
    Context is important.

Mariah Carey has 19 #1 hits and Stevie Wonder has 10

21. Likes:

GAC (03-16-2023),Revering4Blue (03-15-2023)

De La Cruz, Encarnacion-Strand among Reds' latest cuts

Considered to have long-shot bids of making the team entering Spring Training, Reds top prospect Elly De La Cruz and No. 7 prospect Christian Encarnacion-Strand did a lot of impressive things at their first big league camp. However, both players were among the latest round of cuts on Tuesday.

Encarnacion-Strand got a long look as a potential option at first base and, entering Tuesday, is Cincinnati’s leader this spring in hits (15), home runs (4), RBIs (13) and OPS (1.748) as he batted .577 in 12 games. The club remains very high on his raw power and mature hitting approach.

“First of all, he did everything right. He had a great spring,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He didn’t show us anything we didn’t already know.

But every now and then, I think you can show yourself what you’re capable of and having a spring like that in a Major League camp can go a long way. It was a very successful camp for Christian. But really, the determination is today isn’t the right time for him to be in the big leagues. At this point, there’s still little things he knows he needs to work on.

“He needs to be patient but not too patient. Just work as hard as he can to get back here. I see no reason why it couldn’t happen really quick for him to be here.”

Encarnacion-Strand is expected to get more games in the Minors at first base, where he had some difficulty at times this spring.

“He just needs a little bit more experience playing over there,” Bell said. “Not a lot, he has the actions and has what it takes. Sometimes, there’s no substitute for having that game experience.”

More from Reds camp on Tuesday
    Scheduled Opening Day starter Hunter Greene pitched five innings in a 5-3 win over the Royals, allowing two runs (one earned), two hits and no walks with seven strikeouts and two hit batters. Greene struck out five of his last seven batters.

“I think I’m fulfilling the meaning of Spring Training right now,” Greene said following his fourth Cactus League start. “Being able to hone in my pitches, feel good mechanically and all that good stuff. Definitely feeling like I’m finding it. It’s getting there. I’m making the right steps.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/elly-d...from-reds-camp

What I’m hearing is that CES wasn’t going to make the roster if he went 26 for 26 with 26 grand slams.

That’s fine… I’m not complaining. Just pointing out how disingenuous it is to hear “everyone here has a chance to make the roster.”

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-16-2023),membengal (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    What I’m hearing is that CES wasn’t going to make the roster if he went 26 for 26 with 26 grand slams.

That’s fine… I’m not complaining. Just pointing out how disingenuous it is to hear “everyone here has a chance to make the roster.”
    Where are you hearing that? That is a contradiction. Who is saying it?

Krall, in his hot stove league interview, said it had to do with the quality of the pitchers CES has faced in the spring and his defense.

In his hot stove interview, Krall said the issue was that CES was crushing single A pitchers but still showing the same issues they want him to work on against better pitchers. Krall also said CES need
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

26. Likes:

GAC (03-16-2023)

Turn Off Ads?