Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you agree or disagree with the Reds if they go with 3 catchers?

Re: Do you agree or disagree with the Reds if they go with 3 catchers?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Getting 400 PAs against major league RHP would be a significant development step. He'll get PT against LHP, but I'll think they'll limit it to keep his numbers respectable and instill the confidence that goes with that. Just because he starts this year as a platoon guy doesn't mean it's forever, and a LH bat who can be productive against RHP and hold down a spot that isn't as highly valued as it should be on defense as RF is pretty darned valuable. I think RF is extremely important. A team with a poor defensive RF usually has a poor defensive OF. If that's what he becomes, he'll be a key cog for many years.
    Starting the year at AAA playing every day doesn't mean it's forever either.

I want him to take his lumps against LHP (if they even are lumps) in a developmental season. I'm not saying that should be at the AAA level (I'd do it at the MLB level) but I don't want to lose a year of development against LHP when they are pretty transparently playing for 2024. I'm not really concerned about his final stat line.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Starting the year at AAA playing every day doesn't mean it's forever either.

I want him to take his lumps against LHP (if they even are lumps) in a developmental season. I'm not saying that should be at the AAA level (I'd do it at the MLB level) but I don't want to lose a year of development against LHP when they are pretty transparently playing for 2024. I'm not really concerned about his final stat line.
    I'm fine with that, but I just see how this team operates. They have roles for everyone, so guys will be out of the line-up a lot. Fraley, Friedl, Votto and Benson are all guys who struggle with LHP. My guess is three will sit against LHP but not always the same three. Casali, Newman and Fairchild/Pinder will get the starts against LHP.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm fine with that, but I just see how this team operates. They have roles for everyone, so guys will be out of the line-up a lot. Fraley, Friedl, Votto and Benson are all guys who struggle with LHP. My guess is three will sit against LHP but not always the same three. Casali, Newman and Fairchild/Pinder will get the starts against LHP.
    I don't agree at all that Friedl struggles with LHP. Fraley is proven dreadful against LHP. When it comes to Votto and Benson, I am treating them very different. We know what Votto can do against them. Benson hasn't proven himself. I'm letting him fail before platooning him.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

The ST pitching performance has been historically bad. Hard to imagine they won’t need every spot possible for pitchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

6. Likes:

mth123 (03-12-2023)

I'd say it's a bad idea to waste a bench spot on a no hit catcher, but the reality is that spot probably gets taken up by someone else who can't hit.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-12-2023)

Its a classic case of over-reaction. Stephenson is more valuable to the Reds as a catcher, where they lack depth. The injuries he had in 2022 were not repeats of the same problem. If he has more concussions this season, then you think about changing his position.

No one talks about having India spending more time as DH or changing positions to avoid injuries. Jake Fraley had knee trouble last year and, at least from my experience, that's something with lingering consequences. Why not DH him, or move him to 1st?

Guys get moved off of catcher when they have issues with the defensive side of the game, yet can hit. That's not Stephenson's problem. I say play him in a 100 games behind the plate, DH him in another 30.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (03-13-2023),Redsfan6272 (03-14-2023),Wonderful Monds (03-12-2023)

Turn Off Ads?