Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Thought I’d start a separate thread for news and discussion on subtractions/additions to roster and NRI list as Reds cut down this spring.

Two rounds of cuts have been made. Reds say they have 56 guys in major league camp. Of those, 37 are roster players, with only three cuts so far from the forty man roster. (Vlad already on 60-day IL so he doesn’t count among the forty.). The three roster players sent down are Richardson, Stoudt and Solak. I count 20 pitchers and 17 position players on the active roster currently. That leaves 19 non-roster invitees still in camp.

With minor league games starting next week, we should see more cuts very soon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-11-2023 at 10:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Siani, Marte optioned to minors, 54 players remain in camp total. 35 of 40 man roster players still in MLB camp.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2023 at 12:31 PM.

The early Siani option suggests the Reds are happy with what they see with Benson in CF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-12-2023)

Reds still have nearly 30 pitchers among roster guys and NRIs in camp. Lot of cutting to do among pitchers. 13 is the limit for OD. 20 of Reds 35 roster players still in camp are pitchers (though injured Antone is included).
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds still have nearly 30 pitchers among roster guys and NRIs in camp. Lot of cutting to do among pitchers. 13 is the limit for OD.
    My guess is that no big cuts will come until after the WBC is over. Lots of teams are missing a bunch of players.

Reds still have nearly 30 pitchers among roster guys and NRIs in camp. Lot of cutting to do among pitchers. 13 is the limit for OD. 20 of Reds 35 roster players still in camp are pitchers (though injured Antone is included).
    Well, to be fair, only two or three of those 30 pitchers have done any good at all so far-- and one of those has moved on to the WBC.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My guess is that no big cuts will come until after the WBC is over. Lots of teams are missing a bunch of players.
    12 of the 20 WBC teams will be eliminated by Wednesday night. An additional 4 teams will be eliminated a couple of days later.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 03-13-2023 at 09:57 AM.

10. Likes:

757690 (03-13-2023),camisadelgolf (03-15-2023)

Santillan, Dunn and Antone are three who won't be pitching but need to be kept on the roster until they are needed for 60 day IL purposes. Cessa and Diaz are away at WBC.

I think immediate cuts should be Daniel Norris, Casey Legumima. Connor Overton, Silvino Bracho, Tommy Eveld. That would get the number down to around 20 who are available now. Hunter Strickland, Bennett Sousa, Tayron Guerrero and Kevin Herget are guys who would be on the bubble next.

At this point, I think the opening day Rotation is probably: Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft. Cessa and Weaver.

Bullpen: Diaz, Sims, Farmer, Kuhnel, Gibaut, Law, SanMartin, Young. Cruz and Williamson are also possibilities.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-13-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-14-2023)

Players no longer in Big League Camp:

(5) - 40 man - optioned to MiLB Camp:
    Lyon Richardson 72 (to AA Roster)
    Levi Stoudt 58 (to AAA Roster)
    Noelvi Marte 68 (to AA Roster)
    Michael Siani 38 (to AAA Roster)
    Nick Solak 16 (to AAA Roster)

(9) - NRI's - reassigned to MiLB Camp:
    Andrew Abbott 89
    Alan Busenitz 81
    Ben Lively 59
    Connor Phillips 93
    Jared Solomon 84
    Jhonny Pereda 83
    Chuckie Robinson 67
    Alex McGarry 95
    Allan Cerda 80

Players still in Big League Camp:

(35 + 1) - 40 man:
    Tejay Antone 70
    Graham Ashcraft 51
    Luis Cessa 85 (WBC Mexico)
    Fernando Cruz 63 (WBC Puerto Rico)
    Alexis Díaz 43 (WBC Puerto Rico)
    Justin Dunn 49
    Buck Farmer 46
    Ian Gibaut 79 (WBC Great Britain)
    Hunter Greene 21
    Ricky Karcher 74
    Joel Kuhnel 66
    Casey Legumina 65
    Nick Lodolo 40
    Connor Overton 71
    Reiver Sanmartin 52 (WBC Colombia)
    Tony Santillan 64
    Lucas Sims 39
    Bennett Sousa 33
    Luke Weaver 34
    Brandon Williamson 55
    Vladimir Gutierrez 53 (on the 60 Day IL)
    Curt Casali 12
    Luke Maile 22
    Tyler Stephenson 37
    Jose Barrero 2
    Elly De La Cruz 44
    Jonathan India 6
    Kevin Newman 28
    Spencer Steer 7
    Joey Votto 19
    Will Benson 30
    Stuart Fairchild 57
    Jake Fraley 27
    TJ Friedl 29
    Wil Myers 4
    Nick Senzel 15

(18) - NRI's:
    Chase Anderson 22 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Silvino Bracho 82 (WBC Venezuela)
    Daniel Duarte 77
    Tayron Guerrero 50 (WBC Colombia)
    Kevin Herget 73
    Derek Law 47
    Daniel Norris 31 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Hunter Strickland 41 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Alex Young 48
    Austin Romine 26 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Christian Encarnacion 94
    Alejo Lopez
    Richie Martin 76
    Matt McLain 78
    Matt Reynolds 3
    Jason Vosler 32
    Chad Pinder 9 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Henry Ramos 87 (WBC Puerto Rico)

^Must be informed no later than noon on March 25th as to whether or not his contract will be selected for placement on the Opening Day 26-man roster or MLB 60-day Injured List.

14. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023),Kingspoint (03-14-2023),mth123 (03-14-2023)

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

The #Reds today announced the following transactions

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1635...472000/photo/1

Here's the updated camp roster. 21 position players for 13 spots and 28 pitchers.

Name:  D8130AE2-AD6B-4505-99C8-EA9BE31F5F44.jpeg
Views: 456
Size:  91.9 KB

Nods in Doug's direction:

Doug Gray
    @dougdirt24
    ·
    1h
    Sending a guy hitting .577 with 4 home runs and just 2 strikeouts back to minor league camp certainly is a decision that a team could make.

Doug Gray
    @dougdirt24
    And I know, I know - spring training stats don't tell us much of anything about the future.

But it's March 14th, not March 25th and tomorrow's the last day of the spring. Guy has been the best hitter in ST among literally everyone. And you just said "he's not ready"
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Nods in Doug's direction:
    Always respect Doug’s opinion, however:

1. Sending CES down does not necessarily mean the Reds think he’s not ready. They may think he could benefit from more time in the minors. The goal of player development is not to get a player ready for the majors, but to develop him into the best player he can be.

2. There is more to playing baseball than hitting. CES is learning a new position, struggled a bit at it so far this spring, and the Reds may think he needs more time in the minors to work on it.

3. The Reds may feel Votto will be ready by opening day. If that is the case, CES is not playing everyday in the majors. He will be able to play everyday in the minors.

4. The Reds may see something in his swing that they feel will get exploited by major league pitching that he needs to work on in the minors.

Honestly, the easy decision, the one that would help them sell more tickets is to have CES in the opening day lineup. I think it’s good to see they are making baseball decisions, not PR and ticket sales decisions.

20. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Always respect Doug’s opinion, however:

1. Sending CES down does not necessarily mean the Reds think he’s not ready. They may think he could benefit from more time in the minors. The goal of player development is not to get a player ready for the majors, but to develop him into the best player he can be.

2. There is more to playing baseball than hitting. CES is learning a new position, struggled a bit at it so far this spring, and the Reds may think he needs more time in the minors to work on it.

3. The Reds may feel Votto will be ready by opening day. If that is the case, CES is not playing everyday in the majors. He will be able to play everyday in the minors.

4. The Reds may see something in his swing that they feel will get exploited by major league pitching that he needs to work on in the minors.

Honestly, the easy decision, the one that would help them sell more tickets is to have CES in the opening day lineup. I think it’s good to see they are making baseball decisions, not PR and ticket sales decisions.

He’s easily one of the top 13 players on the roster. This is a case where carrying a third catcher is blocking a guy from DHing.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-14-2023),Roy Tucker (03-15-2023),stlwahoo (03-15-2023),Wonderful Monds (03-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He’s easily one of the top 13 players on the roster. This is a case where carrying a third catcher is blocking a guy from DHing.
    Maybe top 13 hitters. Once you factor in defense, probably not one of the top 13 players.

Turn Off Ads?