Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Re: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Maybe top 13 hitters. Once you factor in defense, probably not one of the top 13 players.
    That might be important if the DH didn’t exist, but it does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

For the record, I didn’t think any of these guys had a shot at making the roster, no matter what they did during spring, but let’s be honest about it, they aren’t trying to put the best team they can on the field to start the year.

4. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (03-14-2023),membengal (03-14-2023),RedsfaninMT (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    That might be important if the DH didn’t exist, but it does.
    Stephenson is likely going to get a majority of the starts there against LHP. CES would not be the best option against RHP at DH.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

For the record, I didn’t think any of these guys had a shot at making the roster, no matter what they did during spring, but let’s be honest about it, they aren’t trying to put the best team they can on the field to start the year.
    Not sure why that is clear. I would think handing a starting job to a fan favorite because of a hot two weeks of spring training, who has 48 game above single A, is an example of not fielding the best team they can. The corporate decision is to start CES on opening day. The baseball decision is to give him more time to develop in the minors.

Also, it’s march 14th. Doug’s right. What’s the hurry?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

8. Likes:

LeatherPants (03-14-2023),Old school 1983 (03-14-2023),stlwahoo (03-15-2023)

Not sure why that is clear. I would think handing a starting job to a fan favorite because of a hot two weeks of spring training, who has 48 game above single A, is an example of not fielding the best team they can. The corporate decision is to start CES on opening day. The baseball decision is to give him more time to develop in the minors.
    You already admitted up thread that he was one of the best 13 hitters on the roster, guys can and do develop in the majors, especially for teams that are going to lose as much as the Reds are going to. I’ll wager that CES will magically be ready once the super two deadline is passed.

You already admitted up thread that he was one of the best 13 hitters on the roster
    No I didn’t.

Maybe top 13 hitters. Once you factor in defense, probably not one of the top 13 players.

No I didn’t.
    That’s right, you never give an actual opinion on something, you always equivocate. I’ll go back to ignoring you, helps with my blood pressure. Have a good one.

12. Likes:

membengal (03-15-2023)

One point that was brought up in another thread. CES, EDLC and McClain are non-roster invitees. They were just re-assigned to minor league camp. It’s mostly paperwork and where their locker is.

They likely all will still get time in MLB spring training games, and can be called up to the majors at anytime, even during the spring. No option on any of them was used.

It's true, the options and 40-Man thing is a barrier to a real roster each year. If it was 1923 then I'd kvetch at this move. But it's not. This is a long-game sport now. Beats a salary-cap sport for me but it still is a gerry mandering thingy

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-15-2023)

I'm first and foremost a fan. And, from that perspective it stinks.

Since I live in the Louisville area, I am glad to see that De La Cruz will be stopping in town, at least for a while.

Always respect Doug’s opinion, however:

1. Sending CES down does not necessarily mean the Reds think he’s not ready. They may think he could benefit from more time in the minors. The goal of player development is not to get a player ready for the majors, but to develop him into the best player he can be.

2. There is more to playing baseball than hitting. CES is learning a new position, struggled a bit at it so far this spring, and the Reds may think he needs more time in the minors to work on it.

3. The Reds may feel Votto will be ready by opening day. If that is the case, CES is not playing everyday in the majors. He will be able to play everyday in the minors.

4. The Reds may see something in his swing that they feel will get exploited by major league pitching that he needs to work on in the minors.

Honestly, the easy decision, the one that would help them sell more tickets is to have CES in the opening day lineup. I think it’s good to see they are making baseball decisions, not PR and ticket sales decisions.
    It certainly looks like the last few games they've been trying to put their regular season batting order together and to get off to a good start by not trying to put it together the last week of Spring Training. I think they are looking for continuity, and so that means that in order to give CES regular playing time, he needs to be sent down now...same goes for EDLC and Marte.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023),malcontent (03-15-2023),Old school 1983 (03-14-2023)

Stephenson is likely going to get a majority of the starts there against LHP. CES would not be the best option against RHP at DH.
    Stephenson's playing time and where he plays won't ever have anything to do with who is pitching for the opponent. He'll be on a 2-on, 2-off playing 1B and C, with a day off and one game at DH mixed in each week. That day off may be an off day or a game day. But, whether there's a LHP or a RHP starting for the other team will never determine when he catches or when he plays 1B.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Funny how they didn't Send India down when he was battling to make the roster out of spring training 2 seasons ago! It's about saving money not putting your best team on the field

21. Likes:

Slyder (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Funny how they didn't Send India down when he was battling to make the roster out of spring training 2 seasons ago! It's about saving money not putting your best team on the field
    Fart Noise

Turn Off Ads?