Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Re: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Funny how they didn't Send India down when he was battling to make the roster out of spring training 2 seasons ago! It's about saving money not putting your best team on the field
    After AA ball, India played the 2020 mini-season at the alternate site. That was considered the rough equivalent of AAA development. He thrived there, then at ST, so he was brought up.

The current guys, CES, McLain, Elly D, are directly out of AA ball and the Reds want them to get some AAA level experience.

I believe that was always the intention, which is why they were cut today, March 14. If they were really in the running, Reds would have held them with big club deeper into ST.

It’s a long season with plenty of opportunities for CES, et al to play big league ball this year. It’s a building year, this is proper player development, no problem with it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After AA ball, India played the 2020 mini-season at the alternate site. That was considered the rough equivalent of AAA development. He thrived there, then at ST, so he was brought up.

The current guys, CES, McLain, Elly D, are directly out of AA ball and the Reds want them to get some AAA level experience.

I believe that was always the intention, which is why they were cut today, March 14. If they were really in the running, Reds would have held them with big club deeper into ST.

It’s a long season with plenty of opportunities for CES, et al to play big league ball this year. It’s a building year, this is proper player development, no problem with it.
    Soo when Bell said nobody had a garunteed position coming into spring training after a 100 loss season, that really wasn't the truth? Because they are not going to promote any young players to help the mlb club

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

...and COVID completely had it's own set of rules.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-15-2023),Kc61 (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Always respect Doug’s opinion, however:

1. Sending CES down does not necessarily mean the Reds think he’s not ready. They may think he could benefit from more time in the minors. The goal of player development is not to get a player ready for the majors, but to develop him into the best player he can be.

2. There is more to playing baseball than hitting. CES is learning a new position, struggled a bit at it so far this spring, and the Reds may think he needs more time in the minors to work on it.

3. The Reds may feel Votto will be ready by opening day. If that is the case, CES is not playing everyday in the majors. He will be able to play everyday in the minors.

4. The Reds may see something in his swing that they feel will get exploited by major league pitching that he needs to work on in the minors.

Honestly, the easy decision, the one that would help them sell more tickets is to have CES in the opening day lineup. I think it’s good to see they are making baseball decisions, not PR and ticket sales decisions.
    Doug isn’t upset that they sent him down, he’s upset with the timing of the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Soo when Bell said nobody had a garunteed position coming into spring training after a 100 loss season, that really wasn't the truth? Because they are not going to promote any young players to help the mlb club
    To be fair, that quote came when Votto was a bigger question mark than he is currently. Also, if Benson is on the OD roster, then the quote is basically true. But I'd not disagree necessarily that CES was always bound for Louisville.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

As of 9 AM EST March 15th, 2023

Players no longer in Big League Camp:

(8) - 40 man roster - optioned to MiLB Camp:
    Ricky Karcher 74 (to AAA Roster)
    Casey Legumina 65 (to AAA Roster)
    Lyon Richardson 72 (to AA Roster)
    Levi Stoudt 58 (to AAA Roster)
    Elly De La Cruz 44 (to AAA Roster)
    Noelvi Marte 68 (to AA Roster)
    Michael Siani 38 (to AAA Roster)
    Nick Solak 16 (to AAA Roster)

(11) - NRI's - reassigned to MiLB Camp:
    Andrew Abbott 89
    Alan Busenitz 81
    Ben Lively 59
    Connor Phillips 93
    Jared Solomon 84
    Jhonny Pereda 83
    Chuckie Robinson 67
    Christian Encarnacion 94
    Matt McLain 78
    Alex McGarry 95
    Allan Cerda 80

Players still in Big League Camp:

(32 + 1) - 40 man roster:
    Tejay Antone 70 (Injured - yet to see game action)
    Graham Ashcraft 51
    Luis Cessa 85 (WBC Mexico)
    Fernando Cruz 63 (WBC Puerto Rico)
    Alexis Díaz 43 (WBC Puerto Rico)
    Justin Dunn 49 (Injured - yet to see game action)
    Buck Farmer 46
    Ian Gibaut 79 (WBC Great Britain)
    Hunter Greene 21
    Joel Kuhnel 66
    Nick Lodolo 40
    Connor Overton 71
    Reiver Sanmartin 52 (WBC Colombia)
    Tony Santillan 64 (Injured - yet to see game action)
    Lucas Sims 39
    Bennett Sousa 33
    Luke Weaver 34
    Brandon Williamson 55
    Vladimir Gutierrez 53 (on the 60 Day IL)
    Curt Casali 12
    Luke Maile 22
    Tyler Stephenson 37
    Jose Barrero 2
    Jonathan India 6
    Kevin Newman 28
    Spencer Steer 7
    Joey Votto 19
    Will Benson 30
    Stuart Fairchild 57
    Jake Fraley 27
    TJ Friedl 29
    Wil Myers 4
    Nick Senzel 15 (Injured - yet to see game action)

(16) - NRI's:
    Chase Anderson 22 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Silvino Bracho 82 (WBC Venezuela)
    Daniel Duarte 77
    Tayron Guerrero 50 (WBC Colombia)
    Kevin Herget 73
    Derek Law 47
    Daniel Norris 31 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Hunter Strickland 41 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Alex Young 48
    Austin Romine 26 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Alejo Lopez 35
    Richie Martin 76
    Matt Reynolds 3
    Jason Vosler 32
    Chad Pinder 9 (^Article XX-B FA)
    Henry Ramos 87 (WBC Puerto Rico)

^Must be informed no later than noon on March 25th as to whether or not his contract will be selected for placement on the Opening Day 26-man roster or MLB 60-day Injured List.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 03-15-2023 at 09:34 AM.

9. Likes:

757690 (03-15-2023)

Retroactive IL date for 2023 season is Monday, March 27th.

....As long as the player did not appear in a game during the retroactive period (including "official" MLB Cactus League or Grapefruit League games or other MLB pre-season exhibition games), an MLB 10-day or 15-day Injured List assignment can be backdated up to three days (including the three days prior to MLB Opening Day), and a 7-day (acute concussion) Injured List assignment can be backdated up to four days (including the four days prior to MLB Opening Day).

*Reminder: Players can only be placed on the 60-day IL if the 40 man roster is full and that player's spot on the 40 man roster must then be replaced by another player. Additionally, any player placed on the 60-day IL in spring training is ineligible to return too an active roster until May 29th at the earliest.

11. Likes:

757690 (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    To be fair, that quote came when Votto was a bigger question mark than he is currently. Also, if Benson is on the OD roster, then the quote is basically true. But I'd not disagree necessarily that CES was always bound for Louisville.
    He’s still a question mark. The guy takes a month to figure how he’s going to hit to begin with and now he’s barely recovering from an injury at his age to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Also, it’s march 14th. Doug’s right. What’s the hurry?
    Not defending the Reds - but does it actually make a difference logistically? He will still playin big league ST games, right? To make the team he will have to be added to the 40 man either way, right?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Not hoping for this to happen, but if come June 1 and Votto is mired in the low .200s and CES is lighting it up at AAA, the Reds will have a decision to make. But let’s let this play out and see how events occur.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not hoping for this to happen, but if come June 1 and Votto is mired in the low .200s and CES is lighting it up at AAA, the Reds will have a decision to make. But let’s let this play out and see how events occur.
    The decision would be to dump a retread and use the DH to get both guys plate appearances. It may also be to start dealing guys like Newman and Myers to make a spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The decision would be to dump a retread and use the DH to get both guys plate appearances. It may also be to start dealing guys like Newman and Myers to make a spot.
    I hope they don't work too hard to give plate appearances to an aging veteran who isn't putting up numbers. Reminds me of Pete Rose's last days here, where he'd play at 1B over the much more productive young player, Nick Esasky

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I hope they don't work too hard to give plate appearances to an aging veteran who isn't putting up numbers. Reminds me of Pete Rose's last days here, where he'd play at 1B over the much more productive young player, Nick Esasky
    I don't see the team benching Joey Votto unless he requests it himself. He'll be in there until he hangs it up. If he has a good year, he may be back next year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-15-2023),SunDeck (03-15-2023)

I don't see the team benching Joey Votto unless he requests it himself. He'll be in there until he hangs it up. If he has a good year, he may be back next year.
    That's what I'm afraid of. Forget next yr, we'll struggle if our #3 hitter becomes Paul Janish or the equivalent this year

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Cruz and Williamson are also possibilities.
    I would be surprised and disappointed if Cruz is cut or sent down.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?