Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Re: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Reds cuts from Major League camp today: RHP Daniel Duarte, RHP Tayron Guerrero, RHP Kevin Herget and IF Richie Martin.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Here's an updated look at the camp roster. There are 45 players remaining in camp.

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...527809/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I would be surprised and disappointed if Cruz is cut or sent down.
    I agree with this. He was pretty great last year and seems to have decent stuff. He’s kind of a fun story on an otherwise hapless team. If he goes down so we can carry a 2nd mediocre LHRP, I’ll be sad.

6. Likes:

malcontent (03-16-2023)

I would be surprised and disappointed if Cruz is cut or sent down.
    Why? He a 33 year old rookie. If he was as good as people are expecting, he'd have been in the big leagues long ago. 33 Years old and never a chance at a big-league job tells me a lot more than minor league stats or a small sample at the end of last year. I'm sure he'll have some big-league time, but he's just a body like most of the other late 20s or 30+ career minor leaguers.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-15-2023 at 06:50 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why? He a 33 year old rookie. If he was as good as people are expecting, he'd have been in the big leagues long ago. 33 Years old and never a chance at a big-league job tells me a lot more than minor league stats or a small sample at the end of last year. I'm sure he'll have some big-league time, but he's just a body like most of the other late 20s or 30+ career minor leaguers.
    So… he was the best RP on the team for the last 2 months last year, hasn’t been scored upon in ST, and we have maybe 2.5 total MLB-caliber relief pitchers in the entire organization. Can we at least wait until he’s not totally dominant before we cut him loose? I know we need those innings to go to Ian Gibaut or Bennett Sousa or whoever - but we can set those innings on fire any time.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    So… he was the best RP on the team for the last 2 months last year, hasn’t been scored upon in ST, and we have maybe 2.5 total MLB-caliber relief pitchers in the entire organization. Can we at least wait until he’s not totally dominant before we cut him loose? I know we need those innings to go to Ian Gibaut or Bennett Sousa or whoever - but we can set those innings on fire any time.
    Who said they'll cut him loose? The Reds pitching is awful and they'll need 30 or so bodies to get through the season. He has options and can be sent down to make a spot for a guy who could opt out or is out of options. I'm sure he'll be back and be this year's Art Warren, last year's career minor leaguer everyone wanted, who ended up with an ERA over 6. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Austin Romine released today. I guess that means they are down to 44 guys in camp.

Pinder is definitely doing everything he can to not make this club.

12. Likes:

powersackers (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Pinder is definitely doing everything he can to not make this club.
    Yes and Fairchild with a double, homer and a walk today. I really think his speed, defense and ability to play CF is needed on a team short of RH OF options (with three LH options who can't hit LH pitching) is more important than Pinder's ability to play poor defense at 2B and 3B (but he's good in RF). The Reds have a ton of guys who can play IF. Ability to play CF is what they are short on. As is they'll have a corner guy playing out there most of the time. Other options are the starting SS and the failed prospect who will start the year on the IL.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-18-2023),malcontent (03-18-2023),powersackers (03-19-2023),UPRedsFan (03-18-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Yes and Fairchild with a double, homer and a walk today. I really think his speed, defense and ability to play CF is needed on a team short of RH OF options (with three LH options who can't hit LH pitching) is more important than Pinder's ability to play poor defense at 2B and 3B (but he's good in RF). The Reds have a ton of guys who can play IF. Ability to play CF is what they are short on. As is they'll have a corner guy playing out there most of the time. Other options are the starting SS and the failed prospect who will start the year on the IL.
    Yeah, Fairchild has pleasantly surprised me, SSS notwithstanding. Hope he makes it.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Yeah, Fairchild has pleasantly surprised me, SSS notwithstanding. Hope he makes it.
    He was pretty good last year in 98 PAs. Almost as meaningless as spring training, but ability to play CF is a real thing he has that Pinder doesn't. Pinder turns 31 at the end of this month. Fairchild turned 27 yesterday. I think its an easy decision to keep Fairchild over Pinder.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-18-2023),malcontent (03-18-2023),WrongVerb (03-18-2023)

I agree with all of the above posts about Pinder vs. Fairchild. However, I am emotionally preparing myself for Pinder to make the opening day roster. The Reds seem to like Pinder way more than they should.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

He was pretty good last year in 98 PAs. Almost as meaningless as spring training, but ability to play CF is a real thing he has that Pinder doesn't. Pinder turns 31 at the end of this month. Fairchild turned 27 yesterday. I think its an easy decision to keep Fairchild over Pinder.
    Don’t think so. Certainly not with Bell managing.

With three catchers you can’t afford five dedicated outfielders. Myers playing first is the only IF/OF versatility among the five OFers with Fairchild. Not enough.

Reds need four IFers and an IF/OF utility man. That’s why Senzel was slated to play IF along with CF.

I don’t know the final names but I doubt Reds will go north with 5 dedicated OFers and 3 catchers in a 13 man position group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Don’t think so. Certainly not with Bell managing.

With three catchers you can’t afford five dedicated outfielders. Myers playing first is the only IF/OF versatility among the five OFers with Fairchild. Not enough.

Reds need four IFers and an IF/OF utility man. That’s why Senzel was slated to play IF along with CF.

I don’t know the final names but I doubt Reds will go north with 5 dedicated OFers and 3 catchers in a 13 man position group.
    But three of the OF are LH Bats who all need platooned. The 3 catchers is really causing an issue I think 5 IF is enough. The Reds have plenty of IF in AAA if there is an injury. Barrero, Newman and Steer can each play 2b, SS and 3B. India can play 3B. They don't need more IF as much as they need CF. Benson is the likely starter and he's more of a RF. Friedl and Fraley look like LF only guys to me. Myers is RF or LF. Barrero is probably the best Cf on the roster but nobody wants him to play there. Senzel is injured - and terrible when he isn't. CF is the thinnest position (other than bullpen) on the team.

But three of the OF are LH Bats who all need platooned. The 3 catchers is really causing an issue I think 5 IF is enough. The Reds have plenty of IF in AAA if there is an injury. Barrero, Newman and Steer can each play 2b, SS and 3B. India can play 3B. They don't need more IF as much as they need CF. Benson is the likely starter and he's more of a RF. Friedl and Fraley look like LF only guys to me. Myers is RF or LF. Barrero is probably the best Cf on the roster but nobody wants him to play there. Senzel is injured - and terrible when he isn't. CF is the thinnest position (other than bullpen) on the team.
    Outfielders who can hit left handed pitching is where they are thin. Fairchild does that very well.
    They don’t need double switch capabilities for the infield since they have the DH. But a third of the lineup will be helpless against left handed starters if the don’t keep Fairchild.

Turn Off Ads?