Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Re: Spring Training Cuts and Reds Roster Status

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But three of the OF are LH Bats who all need platooned. The 3 catchers is really causing an issue I think 5 IF is enough. The Reds have plenty of IF in AAA if there is an injury. Barrero, Newman and Steer can each play 2b, SS and 3B. India can play 3B. They don't need more IF as much as they need CF. Benson is the likely starter and he's more of a RF. Friedl and Fraley look like LF only guys to me. Myers is RF or LF. Barrero is probably the best Cf on the roster but nobody wants him to play there. Senzel is injured - and terrible when he isn't. CF is the thinnest position (other than bullpen) on the team.
    The problem is that Friedl and Fraley are the same player. If they want to be efficient, they shouldn’t keep both. But if they want the best players, they should keep both.

In terms of platooning, only Fraley needs it. Friedl actually has hit better against lefties in his limited career so far. We don’t know about Benson. Not all lefties have to be platooned.

I agree with Kc61 that the Reds will keep Pinder because he can play in the infield. He actually hits LHP decently, .778 OPS. Platooning him with Fraley could work. Benson is in center for most games and Friedl is the 4th OF. Not the best arrangement , but it could be worse.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The problem is that Friedl and Fraley are the same player. If they want to be efficient, they shouldn’t keep both. But if they want the best players, they should keep both.

In terms of platooning, only Fraley needs it. Friedl actually has hit better against lefties in his limited career so far. We don’t know about Benson. Not all lefties have to be platooned.

I agree with Kc61 that the Reds will keep Pinder because he can play in the infield. He actually hits LHP decently, .778 OPS. Platooning him with Fraley could work. Benson is in center for most games and Friedl is the 4th OF. Not the best arrangement , but it could be worse.
    Pinder can hit LHP and he could play LF against LHP, but Freidl and Benson need platooned as well. They look like they have no idea what they are doing up there when they face a lefty. Keep Pinder and Fairchild and cut Maile. Problem solved.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Pinder can hit LHP and he could play LF against LHP, but Freidl and Benson need platooned as well. They look like they have no idea what they are doing up there when they face a lefty. Keep Pinder and Fairchild and cut Maile. Problem solved.
    Cut Maile and you have hole at catcher. The Reds are not going to catch Stephenson more than 65 games. Casali isn’t a 100 game catcher. It messes up the DH/1B position too.

More importantly, Maile was added specifically to address the increase in basestealing due to the new rules. I am rather certain that Reds fans will be glad Maile is on the team once the season in is full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cut Maile and you have hole at catcher. The Reds are not going to catch Stephenson more than 65 games. Casali isn’t a 100 game catcher. It messes up the DH/1B position too.

More importantly, Maile was added specifically to address the increase in basestealing due to the new rules. I am rather certain that Reds fans will be glad Maile is on the team once the season in is full swing.
    I know, but these are the problems when you have a low-budget roster full of platoon players and two back-up Catchers. Something has to be sacrificed. I'd say a 6th IF is least needed, all things considered.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Very unlikely Reds will go with one infielder, Newman, as the backup at second, short, and third. And at the same time have a fifth outfielder who sits much of the time. Knowing Bell that won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Very unlikely Reds will go with one infielder, Newman, as the backup at second, short, and third. And at the same time have a fifth outfielder who sits much of the time. Knowing Bell that won’t happen.
    *cough* Vosler *cough*

He can play 3B, thereby spelling Steer (and providing a platoon advantage, if need be, against tough RH), and spell Myers in RF or Fraley in LF.

That'd mean Friedl and Fairchild are competing for one spot, though. Or perhaps Friedl, Fairchild, and Benson are competing for two.

8. Likes:

mth123 (03-18-2023)

I don't think he'll sit as much as you say. He'll play against LHP, same as Pinder. He can also pinch run and would be a late inning defensive replacement in CF. Two ways they can't use Pinder, and since India, Barrero, Steer and Newman are all RH, I don't see pinder adding any extra PT above his role against LHP when either he or Fairchild will play anyway in the OF. Vosler would be a better option as a 6th IF than Pinder.

Keep Vosler and trade Friedl for a pitcher.

trade Friedl for a pitcher.
    Kingspoint just put you on ignore

11. Likes:

westofyou (03-18-2023)

I don't think he'll sit as much as you say. He'll play against LHP, same as Pinder. He can also pinch run and would be a late inning defensive replacement in CF. Two ways they can't use Pinder, and since India, Barrero, Steer and Newman are all RH, I don't see pinder adding any extra PT above his role against LHP when either he or Fairchild will play anyway in the OF. Vosler would be a better option as a 6th IF than Pinder.

Keep Vosler and trade Friedl for a pitcher.
    Lefty pitchers start about 20% of the time. Lot of sitting for short side of the platoon.

But mostly the issue is for in-game defensive moves. The third catcher makes positional flex more important. On this team the utility man is more important.

I’m open to different names, Vosler, Fairchild, whomever. But Bell needs tools that fit the needs.

13. Likes:

westofyou (03-18-2023)

Lefty pitchers start about 20% of the time. Lot of sitting for short side of the platoon.

But mostly the issue is for in-game defensive moves. The third catcher makes positional flex more important. On this team the utility man is more important.

I’m open to different names, Vosler, Fairchild, whomever. But Bell needs tools that fit the needs.
    Pinder can stand out at 2b and 3b, but they'd never be putting him in there as a defensive move. He was moved to the OF because he's a lousy infielder. He's also an anemic bat against RHP, so the only time you'd really want to use him is as an OF against LHP. The same time you'd be using Fairchild. At least Fairchild can play all three OF spots fairly well. He actually has more utility than Pinder does IMO. Vosler might be a different story.

Starting pitching is where they are thinnest, and the number one reason this club isn’t going .500 this season.

16. Likes:

GAC (03-19-2023),mth123 (03-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Starting pitching is where they are thinnest, and the number one reason this club isn’t going .500 this season.
    Agree, but they don't really have choices to make there. Just stuck with whatever dreck they can scrape from the bottom of their shoes.

On the position side, I'd say they have options who might have a claim to a big league job, it's just a matter of best fit. I think the best fit is Fairchild.

Austin Romine released today. I guess that means they are down to 44 guys in camp.

The Reds have 43 players in camp, but that number includes five players who won’t be ready for the start of the season.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/luke-weav...022628599.html

19. Likes:

mth123 (03-19-2023)

Freidl and Benson need platooned as well. They look like they have no idea what they are doing up there when they face a lefty.
    You have repeated this several times across multiple threads. What evidence is there to suggest Friedl needs platooned? Because his statistics suggest otherwise.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You have repeated this several times across multiple threads. What evidence is there to suggest Friedl needs platooned? Because his statistics suggest otherwise.
    I’d also note that some have assumed Friedl won’t share in CF. But he’s played more CF innings in the bigs than other positions. He’s not a natural CFer, but it’s a rebuilding year, I expect Reds will continue to use Friedl in CF some of the time along with Benson and eventually Senzel.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2023 at 09:15 AM.

23. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (03-19-2023),Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

Turn Off Ads?