Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Bud Grant, polio survivor, NBA Champ, 4XGrey Cup Champ, 4XNFC Champ

RIP Bud Grant, polio survivor, NBA Champ, 4XGrey Cup Champ, 4XNFC Champ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Grant

The Armistice Day Blizzard in 1940 that destroyed the Tacoma-Narrows Bridge and cut a 1000-mile swath through the middle of the country from Kansas to Michigan, stranded Grant and two friends who were hunting at the time in his homestate of Minnesota. He survived it by huddling in a gas-station while his two friends found a farmhouse to survive it. It's listed as #2 in Minnesota's top-five weather events of the 20th Century, and they have had some monsters.

https://www.startribune.com/bud-gran...son/600224352/

When the skies finally cleared two days later, about 25 duck hunters were among the 154 people killed by the storm. Thousands of cattle also died in snowdrifts that crested 20 feet, and more than a million farm-raised turkeys perished.

My Mom was 8 in Meeker County (think Little House on the Prairie), MN, on a large farm at the time. I don't know how many feet of snow they had, but a town 25 miles NE of them had 2-1/2 feet. They had been there one year after moving North from Iowa, where my Grandfather had been taking care of his Father-in-Law's farm for 10 years and it was now time for another of his wife's siblings to take over so he could have his own farm. 50 °F (28 °C) temperature drops were common over parts of the states of Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Record low pressures were recorded in La Crosse, Wisconsin, and Duluth, Minnesota. Survivors describe the cold as so severe that it was difficult to breathe, with the air so moisture laden it was thick like syrup and that the cold seared the survivors lungs like a red-hot blade.

Bud Grant graduated from high school in 1945 and enlisted in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was assigned to the Great Lakes Naval Training Station in Illinois and played on the football team coached by Paul Brown.

Bud Grant is the greatest sports personality in the hearts of Minnesotans who ever lived.

In 1967 he was asked to be the Minnesota Vikings Coach, replacing Norm Van Brocklin, going into the same Division as legendary Head Coaches George Halas (with Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus) and Vince Lombardi (with Bart Starr a host of players that made up the back-to-back-to-back NFC/Super Bowl Champs). Grant won 11 Division Titles and 4 NFC Championships. The Vikings have been looking for someone to get them back to the Super Bowl ever since he left in 1983, with their last appearance being in the '70's.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-12-2023 at 08:51 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2023),goreds2 (03-12-2023),Revering4Blue (03-12-2023),Roy Tucker (03-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Bud Grant, polio survivor, NBA Champ, 4XGrey Cup Champ, 4XNFC Champ

NBA champ? What did he do with basketball?

Bud Grant was still alive? Tip of the cap for taking the full ride. Way to go, Bud.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-13-2023),Kingspoint (03-12-2023),westofyou (03-12-2023)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    NBA champ? What did he do with basketball?
    Grant was a member of the Minneapolis Lakers with George Mikan, culminating in an NBA championship.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../MNL/1950.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2023),cumberlandreds (03-12-2023),goreds2 (03-12-2023),Kingspoint (03-12-2023),M2 (03-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Grant was a member of the Minneapolis Lakers with George Mikan, culminating in an NBA championship.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../MNL/1950.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very cool. Didn't know that

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-12-2023),Revering4Blue (03-13-2023)

I remember Grant as a stoic figure on the Viking sidelines. He ran a tight ship that emphasized toughness. IIRC, he never wore a real big coat and didn't allow heaters on his sidelines. This was before the Vikings played in a dome. IMO they lost a big home field advantage when brought play inside. Before Grant came to the Vikings he was head coach of Winnipeg in the CFL. He won four Grey Cups with them. Until I read the WIKI article on him I never knew he played in the early days of the NBA. So he was an all around good athlete. Although his accomplishments with the Vikings have been overlooked because he lost all four Super Bowls, he nonetheless was a great coach who got the most out of his teams. RIP Bud Grant.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

goreds2 (03-13-2023),Kingspoint (03-13-2023),Revering4Blue (03-13-2023)

Bud Grant was one of those guys who seemed almost too tough to die. I thought the same thing about Bob Gibson.

RIP, Bud.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

Chip R (03-13-2023),cumberlandreds (03-13-2023),goreds2 (03-13-2023),Kingspoint (03-13-2023),Revering4Blue (03-13-2023),Sea Ray (03-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?