Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 3: Big Buck Hunters

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 3: Big Buck Hunters

Pretty fun Philly Cleveland game tonight. This is Cleveland’s last shot to have any chance of getting the 3. 2 back with a win 4 back with a loss. Philly has been red hot and should be a good test for both teams.

This is all a little dependent on Allen playing. He’s missed the last 3 with an eye injury he picked up in Miami.

2. Likes:

M2 (03-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I feel like Dallas is doing a very strange tank job...or they just suck...both Luka and Kyrie being injured at the same time this late in the season is certainly a strategy. I fear Luka's thigh was worse than anticipated and with Kyrie ailing they are trying to work into the top 13.
    With Kyrie "injury" could mean a lot of things. Dallas still hasn't given him a max extension and that might make his foot sore. Seems like the ultimate value of the Kyrie trade might be that the Mavs can retrench this summer. They should have some space to operate. For instance, can they get in on KAT?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

All of a sudden Denver is staggering and now Jah is in indeterminant rehab (for undefined reasons) for Memphis. It kind of throws the door in the West wide open. I mean, why not the Kings? And if there was ever going to be a year where a lower seed gets to the finals, this could be it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All of a sudden Denver is staggering and now Jah is in indeterminant rehab (for undefined reasons) for Memphis. It kind of throws the door in the West wide open. I mean, why not the Kings? And if there was ever going to be a year where a lower seed gets to the finals, this could be it.
    Sounds like Ja had a nice weekend in rehab and plans to be back soon.

Edit: actually he was just suspended 8 games
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 03-15-2023 at 03:13 PM.

In response to the subject on the previous thread, a fan has to hope that his team does not get Scott Foster reffing any of his favorite team's playoff games.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sounds like Ja had a nice weekend in rehab and plans to be back soon.

Edit: actually he was just suspended 8 games
    Something's up with Memphis. Ja's gone off the rails (definitely seen a dip in his play too). Dillon Brooks is carving out a niche as the most self-destructive player to his own team in the NBA. JJJ is a completely blah 16.5/6.3, .465 eFG% since the All-Star break.

Nice win for the Cavs. Too bad the refs disagreed.

Nice win for the Cavs. Too bad the refs disagreed.
    I didn't see the game, but nine points? From the boxscore seems like Philly was on a bit of a bender from 3.

I didn't see the game, but nine points? From the boxscore seems like Philly was on a bit of a bender from 3.
    Embiid fouled out with 6 minutes to go. They inexplicably overturned it AND gave him the basket from the offensive foul. So it went Embiid out with 6 minutes to go and 5 point game, to him not out and a 7 point game. There was also a missed travel that would have given the Cavs the ball back with about a minute when it was 4 or 5 points.

Sixers might have won, but that call overturn was just cheating BS.

Gritty win by the Sixers tonight, overcoming some home cooking from the officials early on, and maybe benefitting from some themselves for a change. Down by 13 early in the third quarter, Philly went on a 16-to-1 run to take the lead. After watching the game flip-flop into the fourth, Philly finally gained separation as Cleveland went ice-cold from the field. Leading by 7 points at the 4:12 mark, that's when the controversy happened. Joel Embiid, already picking up a dumb fifth foul, looked like fouled out when he game an arm shiver to Evan Mobley, who proceeded to flop hard. Philly challenged, and the officials overturned the call, deeming the contact marginal and counted Embiid's made jumper to put the Sixers up by nine.

Frankly, I thought Embiid had fouled out on the play and it was pretty surprising to see the overturn, considering that he doesn't get "superstar" calls pretty much ever. In the end, Embiid's presence on the floor for the last four minutes really didn't matter. He didn't score a single point or grab a single rebound the rest of the way and gave Donovan Mitchell at least two free runs to the hoop rather than challenging him for fear of that sixth foul. Philly simply made bigger shots down the stretch, hit their free throws, and that was ballgame. It actually shouldn't have been that close, but the Sixers piled a ton of unforced turnovers into the 18 they had on the night. The win wrapped up the season series versus the Cavs; effectively putting them 7 games down in the Loss column.

James Harden took control of the offense in the fourth, finishing with 28 points and 12 dimes. Tyrese Maxey pitched in with 23 points, hitting 5 of his 7 threes. Shake Milton and Georges Niang were key in the second half run, hitting timely threes. Tobias was, again, a non-factor, but P.J. Tucker, finishing with only five points, also grabbed six boards (four offensive) and logged three steals, maybe giving us a preview of his "playoff" defense. The guy was everywhere and when Embiid wasn't blocking Mobley's shots, Tucker was keeping him from the lane while also switching onto guards.

For the Cavs, I'm not sure what was going on with their starters, who all finished at -8 or lower +/-. Only Donovan Mitchell seemed to get it going for a brief time, but hit only one of his seven three-point attempts. Garland had identical numbers from deep, and hit only 6 of his 17 shots. Caris LaVert was the best thing going for the Cavs, with 24 points and hitting five of his ten threes, but after the bench was great against Philly in the first half, they allowed the Sixers to hold steady in the fourth quarter until the starters returned to put the game away.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 03-16-2023 at 06:58 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

13. Likes:

goreds2 (03-16-2023),Mutaman (03-16-2023)

I mean Embiid on the floor matters if he scores or not, plus they counted the bucket, which was a huge bucket. It was just a BS call that ruined a really fun game.

It was back and forth, with lots of runs and was really evenly matched.

Mitchell had his finger injury aggravated on a foul (one that was called and actually not overturned). He’s struggled a bit from outside the last week since that happened.

Cavs can’t cough up 13 point home leads though, or at least that quickly. Didn’t score for 5 minutes and if they go though that with even a 5 point lead they win.

Also I know you’re a Sixers fan so you can’t see it, but I’m here to tell you Embiid gets a TON of superstar calls. He gets an annoying amount of superstar calls. Which, he’s a super star, it’s gonna happen. But you really need to put that narrative to bed.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 03-16-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Embiid fouled out with 6 minutes to go. They inexplicably overturned it AND gave him the basket from the offensive foul. So it went Embiid out with 6 minutes to go and 5 point game, to him not out and a 7 point game.
    I haven't seen a zillion angles of it, but I have now seen it and my take is the defender oversold it. Embiid has his arm up, but the defender flies away from it to sell the call rather than tries to go through it. Philly challenged the call and I suspect the refs were looking at it as a case of it could been seen as a foul or as a dive. Then they apply the "Do we want to foul the MVP candidate out of a game on an either way call?" standard and that pushes it into the dive column. I understand how a Cavs fan is going to hate that standard, but I suspect Mitchell would get the same deference were the situations reversed.

Mainly, my initial reaction to it was one I have frequently in soccer, which is the physics of the contact and the drama of the sell were incongruous. That's where the refs landed when they took a second look at it due to the challenge.

I haven't seen a zillion angles of it, but I have now seen it and my take is the defender oversold it. Embiid has his arm up, but the defender flies away from it to sell the call rather than tries to go through it. Philly challenged the call and I suspect the refs were looking at it as a case of it could been seen as a foul or as a dive. Then they apply the "Do we want to foul the MVP candidate out of a game on an either way call?" standard and that pushes it into the dive column. I understand how a Cavs fan is going to hate that standard, but I suspect Mitchell would get the same deference were the situations reversed.

Mainly, my initial reaction to it was one I have frequently in soccer, which is the physics of the contact and the drama of the sell were incongruous. That's where the refs landed when they took a second look at it due to the challenge.
    Mobley absolutely sold it a bit, but that’s called good defense. If a dude that weighs 70 more pounds than you extends his arm on the move, you do what Mobley did.

Honestly if they didn’t call it on the floor, I’d be mad but it’s what happens. The fact that it was an overturn is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no basis to overrule that. None.

Mobley absolutely sold it a bit, but that’s called good defense. If a dude that weighs 70 more pounds than you extends his arm on the move, you do what Mobley did.

Honestly if they didn’t call it on the floor, I’d be mad but it’s what happens. The fact that it was an overturn is just ridiculous. There is absolutely no basis to overrule that. None.
    I think you try to go through the arm and then you get the call. The overrule is Mobley took a dive and they decided not to foul Embiid out of the game for that. The "but I tricked you fair and square" argument didn't hold up on review.

Think about it if you were on the other side. The refs take a look, it's pretty clearly a dive and they don't overturn it. I suspect that would not sit well either. On a call like that, somebody's going to be mad. I think probably the best outcome in that situation is the one where everybody keeps playing basketball.

Refs are going to use discretion. I'll give an example from a different sport/game from yesterday. With 40 seconds left in extra time of the Madrid-Liverpool Champions League clash, a Liverpool defender had the ball come off his extended arm in the box. He didn't mean to do it. It was just bad luck. Doesn't matter, his arm's out and his hand played the ball in the box and, by the letter of the law, that's a penalty. BUT Madrid was up four goals in the tie and a penalty there would be piling on. So the ref, who swallowed his whistle in live time, gets told to go take a look at it and he invents a new, one-time-only standard: the ball wasn't net-bound when it made contact with the hand therefore no penalty. That's not a rule. Total fabrication, but it gets everybody home quicker in a contest that's already over. And he was right to do it no matter how much I might have enjoyed a paso de la muerte goal.
    Last edited by M2; 03-16-2023 at 10:25 AM.

I think you try to go through the arm and then you get the call. The overrule is Mobley took a dive and they decided not to foul Embiid out of the game for that. The "but I tricked you fair and square" argument didn't hold up on review.

Think about it if you were on the other side. The refs take a look, it's pretty clearly a dive and they don't overturn it. I suspect that would not sit well either. On a call like that, somebody's going to be mad. I think probably the best outcome in that situation is the one where everybody keeps playing basketball.

Refs are going to use discretion. I'll give an example from a different sport/game from yesterday. With 40 seconds left in extra time of the Madrid-Liverpool Champions League clash, a Liverpool defender had the ball come off his extended arm in the box. He didn't mean to do it. It was just bad luck. Doesn't matter, his arm's out and his hand played the ball in the box and, by the letter of the law, that's a penalty. BUT Madrid was up four goals in the tie and a penalty there would be piling on. So the ref, who swallowed his whistle in live time, gets told to go take a look at it and he invents a new, one-time-only standard: the ball wasn't net-bound when it made contact with the hand therefore no penalty. That's not a rule. Total fabrication, but it gets everybody home quicker in a contest that's already over. And he was right to do it no matter how much I might have enjoyed a paso de la muerte goal.
    But it wasn’t a dive. He just sold the foul. He was fouled. Now you are just punishing Mobley for playing good defense and rewarding Embiid for fouling someone PLUS giving him a crucial basket that he made after the foul.

The Liverpool thing is a different situation. If Philly was up 30, ok whatever, but they were up 5 with a lot of time left. If it was 2-1 Madrid and Modric got a red card in the 70th minute and now the ref starts making up rules…now we are talking.

Turn Off Ads?