Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Indianapolis Colts - Should Ballard stay or should he go?

2023 Indianapolis Colts - Should Ballard stay or should he go?

A lot will ride on this draft.

I still don't know what the Colts are doing or are going to do with QB. I think trying to make an offer for Lamar would have been interesting. Singing Jimmy G or even Carr would have been an upgrade. Now at best, the Colts will get their third choice at QB in the draft, could be 4th if another team moves up. I'm just not sure Levis or Richardson are the guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: 2023 Indianapolis Colts - Should Ballard stay or should he go?

I may be dead wrong, but I think there's a 50-50 chance the Colts still wind up with either Stroud or Young. Here's why:

The signing of Dalton - not the long-term answer, but a competent starter - by the Panthers suggests they may be enamored with Richardson, whose ceiling is higher than any QB in this draft, but he's the least prepared to play regularly right away. Ultimately, though, I imagine they won't overthink it and they'll take Stroud, but stranger things have happened.

The Texans have a long way to go to realistically compete, so they, too, may view Richardson as the long-term answer. However, I can't see them passing on Stroud if he's still on the board. But if Stroud is off the board, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Richardson is their guy, even with Young on the board.

So, assuming Richardson is selected within the first two picks, IMHO, the Colts MUST move up to three to select either Stroud or Young or some other team will. That's my concern if either are still on the board.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-15-2023)

That's an interesting theory! I would love it if it you're right, but I just feel like Stroud and Young are gone at 1 and 2. I also feel like some team is going to move up to 3 if the Colts don't do it themselves. Richardson might be worth the gamble for the Colts, but it's so boom or bust. Is he Josh Allen or JaMarcus Russell? I'm not sold on Levis either, even though I know he's highly regarded.

Jags fan's viewpoint: You need a young, good QB. No more stop gaps. There are 4 interesting QBs in the draft, and you pick 4th. I'd take whoever is there at 4. And play them. No matter what. I don't think you guys are making the playoffs. So discover everything you need to know on the new guy. Especially if it's Richardson.

And don't be afraid to try again next year if need be.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-21-2023)

March 15th, 2023 at 4:13pm CST by Ben Levine

Unsurprisingly, the Bears spoke with multiple teams about the No. 1 pick before trading the selection to the Panthers. Jeff Howe of The Athletic tweets that the Raiders called the Bears about the first-overall pick, while Aaron Wilson of ProFootballNetwork.com reports (via Twitter) that the Texans also held discussions with the Bears.

The Texans are armed with a pair of first-round picks (No. 2 and No. 12), meaning the organization had more than enough ammo to pull off a trade. Presumably, the front office didn’t want to overpay to move up just one spot, and the Texans will now have to hope that the Panthers don’t land on their preferred quarterback. We previously heard that the Texans were very high on Alabama quarterback Bryce Young, and Houston may end up getting their way if Carolina opts for Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud.

Howe clarifies that the Raiders never got into serious negotiations with the Bears about the first-overall pick. However, the Raiders’ interest reinforces how the organization “explored every avenue” at the QB position (as Howe points out). Earlier today, Howe tweeted that the Raiders organization even reached out to the Packers about quarterback Aaron Rodgers as they evaluated their post-Derek Carr options. Ultimately, the Raiders landed on Jimmy Garoppolo. The Panthers ultimately pulled off the trade for the first-overall pick, sending Chicago a pair of first-round picks, a pair of second-round picks, and wide receiver D.J. Moore.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I may be dead wrong, but I think there's a 50-50 chance the Colts still wind up with either Stroud or Young. Here's why:

The signing of Dalton - not the long-term answer, but a competent starter - by the Panthers suggests they may be enamored with Richardson, whose ceiling is higher than any QB in this draft, but he's the least prepared to play regularly right away. Ultimately, though, I imagine they won't overthink it and they'll take Stroud, but stranger things have happened.

The Texans have a long way to go to realistically compete, so they, too, may view Richardson as the long-term answer. However, I can't see them passing on Stroud if he's still on the board. But if Stroud is off the board, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Richardson is their guy, even with Young on the board.

So, assuming Richardson is selected within the first two picks, IMHO, the Colts MUST move up to three to select either Stroud or Young or some other team will. That's my concern if either are still on the board.
    Teams are going to be trying their darndest to not reveal the direction they are leaning towards. There's always those within an organization who can't keep their mouths shut, though. (Those people should be fired.)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Colts Mulling Lamar Jackson Offer Sheet

March 20th, 2023 at 10:48am CST by Adam La Rose

Amidst the frenzy of free agent deals being handed out over the past few days, the presence of Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson has hovered over the shifting NFL landscape at the position. Recent deals have seemed to shrink the number of potential suitors for an offer sheet, but one team which has yet to be mentioned in much detail to date on the subject is the Colts. Indianapolis is one of many teams whose quarterback room would be upgraded with the addition of Jackson, 26. The Colts have an open spot at the top of their depth chart after releasing Matt Ryan and adding a new backup in Gardner Minshew. Jackson could be an option to fill the team’s latest starting vacancy, one which has yet to be addressed on a permanent basis since Andrew Luck‘s retirement.

On that point, ESPN’s Stephen Holder notes that the Colts have not ruled out discussing the possibility of submitting an offer sheet to the former MVP. Several teams – including the Falcons, Panthers, Commanders and Dolphins – have been reported to have little to no interest in adding Jackson. Signing him would require him agreeing to a massive contract offer (quite possibly, one which is fully guaranteed) and the Ravens declining to match. In that instance, the acquiring team would lose their first-round pick in each of the next two years. Holder adds, though, that the Colts have not taken any “substantive steps” at this point with respect to preparing any firm offers to Jackson. The team, like all others, would be hesitant to do the Ravens’ negotiating for them, and put themselves in a five-day waiting period while the Ravens decide to match or decline any hypothetical offer sheet. Making an enormous financial commitment to the two-time Pro Bowler would be difficult for Indianapolis, even with the cap space created with the Ryan release and the cost-cutting trade of cornerback Stephon Gilmore.

As Holder mentions, owner Jim Irsay has shown a willingness to sign both Luck, and before him, Peyton Manning, to then-record-breaking contracts. While the Jackson situation is different to those former Colts No. 1 picks, there is nevertheless a degree of precedence with Indianapolis and sizeable splashes at the position. Making one in Jackson’s case would represent one avenue to fixing the team’s multi-year QB problem.
    The other, of course, is the upcoming draft. The Colts currently hold the No. 4 selection, but with the Panthers and Texans set to pick first and second, respectively, Indianapolis could be faced with the third-best signal-caller in the class being their top option on the board. That reality could steer them towards a push for Jackson, a more known commodity and a player who could fit well in head coach Shane Steichen‘s scheme after his work with another dual-threat quarterback in Jalen Hurts.

Would Indy have to give up this year's #1 pick (and next yr's of course) or would it be 2024/25 1st rd picks? I know our compensation for Jesse Bates won't happen 'till next yr. If it's this year's #1 pick, that's expensive for Indy. Baltimore would love that

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Would Indy have to give up this year's #1 pick (and next yr's of course) or would it be 2024/25 1st rd picks? I know our compensation for Jesse Bates won't happen 'till next yr. If it's this year's #1 pick, that's expensive for Indy. Baltimore would love that
    And to that point, what if the Colts traded down to acquire more picks before making the offer to Jackson? I guess it all depends on if the Ravens would match or not.

Still, I always thought the Colts should at least consider Jackson. His injury history does worry me, but he'd certainly be a way better bet than anything else they've done post Luck.

Pure click bait article in my opinion. Based on the fact that Indy has not stated anything about Jackson. The owner HAS talked about drafting a young QB this year however. Color me shocked if Jackson ends up in Indy.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2023)

It's more like trying to find an answer for the desperate search of the few places where Lamar Jackson could possibly end up other than Baltimore.

- - - Updated - - -

Jackson's an idiot for not having an agent. He's already cost himself tens of millions of dollars and looks to be ready cost himself tens of millions more.

FWIW, Kiper has the Colts moving up to 3 and taking Levis. That to me is a pretty unexciting outcome if it comes to fruition. Maybe my least favorite possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    FWIW, Kiper has the Colts moving up to 3 and taking Levis. That to me is a pretty unexciting outcome if it comes to fruition. Maybe my least favorite possibility.
    If it's Richardson then you might want to sign someone and plan on him sitting for a year.

Levi's IMO has the second highest upside behind Richardson but the highest potential to be a bust. Just have to hope Steichen can reign him in.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'd rather the Colts sign Jackson and trade down, personally.

Ballard should not have survived the season. He is a good talent evaluator but a poor team builder. I will be surprised if he drafts a qb at 4, I don’t think they think the available ones are franchise guys, I think he drafts bpa at 4 or trades down and then gets Hooker in the second or he trades into the late first to get him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Mel Kiper knows as much as my neighbor and he’s a postman who doesn’t even have season tickets.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-21-2023)

Turn Off Ads?