Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Offseason In Review

Reds Offseason In Review

Reds Offseason In Review
    The Reds had another slow offseason, their second straight winter defined mostly by inactivity. It’s a rebuild in Cincinnati, with the upcoming season again more about evaluating the future than winning in the short term.

The Reds stripped things down over the 2021-22 offseason, dismantling a team that had finished a few games off a wild-card appearance. Payroll constraints led to a reboot of the roster, with a number of veterans shipped out for young talent either last winter or at the summer deadline. That teardown paired with brutal injury luck resulted in the second 100-loss season in franchise history.

Unlike last winter, when the likes of Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Jesse Winker and Sonny Gray were on the roster, Cincinnati didn’t go into this offseason with many obvious trade chips. The most apparent candidate was shortstop Kyle Farmer, who was headed into his second-to-last season of arbitration control. Farmer is a low-end regular at shortstop or high-quality utility piece who’d have modest appeal to a contender. Cincinnati indeed cashed him in for young talent.

It was a one-for-one swap with the Twins that brought back Double-A swingman Casey Legumina. The Gonzaga product had just been added to the Minnesota 40-man roster to keep him out of the Rule 5 draft. He’ll start the season in the upper minors but could factor into the MLB mix later in the year.

Hours after trading away Farmer, Cincinnati backfilled at shortstop with another stopgap veteran. The Reds and division-rival Pirates aligned on a deal that brought in Kevin Newman for middle reliever Dauri Moreta. Newman is also in his penultimate arbitration season and broadly brings a similar profile to the departed Farmer: a contact-oriented offensive approach at the bottom of a lineup and solid glovework. Newman is a little more affordable and could be a midseason trade chip.

Broadly speaking, the 2023 campaign will be about evaluating players for the future and identifying what veterans could be shipped off in the coming months.

Cincinnati doesn’t have a single player under guaranteed contract for 2024, with option buyouts for Votto, Moustakas, Myers and Casali representing the only firm commitments. The slate is almost clean for the front office to chart a new path back to contention.

In the interim, the fanbase is in for another losing season.

Continue Reading:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...i-reds-13.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-16-2023 at 08:42 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Offseason In Review

MLBTR is conducting team-specific chats in conjunction with the Offseason In Review series. Anthony Franco will chat about the Reds on March 16 at 2:00 pm CST.

Click here to leave a question in advance.

The Reds had another slow offseason, their second straight winter defined mostly by inactivity. It’s a rebuild in Cincinnati, with the upcoming season again more about evaluating the future than winning in the short term.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...i-reds-13.html

Not sure I would call last offseason inactive for the Reds especially when you consider the lockout. Barnhardt trade, Miley dropped, Winker/Suarez trade, Gray trade, Minor trade, Signing Solano, Drury, Pham just off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Not sure I would call last offseason inactive for the Reds especially when you consider the lockout. Barnhardt trade, Miley dropped, Winker/Suarez trade, Gray trade, Minor trade, Signing Solano, Drury, Pham just off the top of my head.
    I think they’re defining “activity,” as moves designed to increase the club’s chance to win that year, here. That’s what I took from it.

The thing is, if you get past the “blowing up a borderline playoff roster,” philosophy, I like a lot of the moves from the last 16 months. It always kind of felt like the 2020-2021 “window” was kind of half-assed. Not enough cheap, homegrown talent. You had Castillo, Mahle, and Winker, I guess. And supplementing them with Gray, Miley, Castellanos, and Moose was a nice effort. There just wasn’t quite enough there.

Here's the Transcript of today's mlbtraderumors chat Anthony Franco answered questions from Reds Fans.

Offseason In Review Chat Transcript: Cincinnati Reds

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/reds-2...hat-15300.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-16-2023 at 08:21 PM.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-17-2023),Revering4Blue (03-16-2023),topsyt (03-16-2023)

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

REDREAD (03-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Here's the Transcript of today's mlbtraderumors chat Anthony Franco answered questions from Reds Fans.

Offseason In Review Chat Transcript: Cincinnati Reds

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/reds-2...hat-15300.html
    All the questions that needed to be asked were asked and answered well.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

When is the Rule 5 draft? I'd like to hope we could pick up a Pitcher.

12. Likes:

stlwahoo (03-17-2023)

Just 4 1/2 months until Bengals training camp thankfully.

Turn Off Ads?