Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The "anti-Reds" sign Orlando Brown

The "anti-Reds" sign Orlando Brown

They go out and sign one of the year's top FA's. I know, I know. Revenue-sharing, salary cap, apples-to-oranges. I don't expect them to sign the top bat or arm on the market, but you'll never convince me they couldn't afford a veteran fourth starter who help the young guns or a reliever or two to help patch up the decrepit bullpen.

2. Likes:

GAC (03-16-2023),icehole3 (03-16-2023),JCM11 (03-16-2023),Kingspoint (03-16-2023),Redhook (03-16-2023),REDREAD (03-16-2023),wally post (03-22-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The "anti-Reds" sign Orlando Brown

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    They go out and sign one of the year's top FA's. I know, I know. Revenue-sharing, salary cap, apples-to-oranges. I don't expect them to sign the top bat or arm on the market, but you'll never convince me they couldn't afford a veteran fourth starter who help the young guns or a reliever or two to help patch up the decrepit bullpen.
    It's a tale of two cities in Cincinnati.

[good for the Bengals]

IMO, the Bengal management know they have a window with a high caliber QB in Burrows, and they're going for it. At least showing a solid effort, and not sitting on their hands (which their Dad was good at doing; but not the kids).

How far do the Reds have to fall, and for how long, before something is done?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-16-2023 at 06:39 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

icehole3 (03-16-2023),wally post (03-22-2023)

I'm happy for the Bengals.
    I've been a Bengals fan from day one, in the beginning.

I'm enjoying all of the recent success and the good vibes from the fanbase, really hope it continues.

We all know those good vibes come crashing down when the bandwagon fans turn on'em the first time we have a losing season.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-16-2023 at 06:54 AM.

7. Likes:

icehole3 (03-16-2023),Kingspoint (03-16-2023),westofyou (03-16-2023)

Thought it was a joke when I first saw the news on reddit. Big money upfront, but great value for a top 10-15 OT. They're upgrading two positions, assuming Williams kicks over to the right side.

The best news about this deal is the structure, which is the complete opposite of how the Bengals have built their contracts in the past. They were going to have to change regardless with Burrow's contract, but this is an awesome sign that this is an complete philosophical change.

In the 1990s, Mike Brown was universally hated. Things started to slowly improve after the hiring of Marvin Lewis. I think a ton of credit goes to Katie Blackburn, who continues to take a greater role with each passing day.

It really shouldn't be hard for the Reds ownership group to see that if you put a winner on the field, the fans will be there to support it en masse.

9. Likes:

icehole3 (03-16-2023),Redhook (03-16-2023),Ron Madden (03-16-2023),Tony Cloninger (03-16-2023)

No way Mike Brown is involved at all, at this point.

It's doubtful that Bob Castellini is involved much anymore either.

Unfortunately, while the Bengals inherit Katie, the Reds inherit Phil.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 03-16-2023 at 09:30 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

corkedbat (03-16-2023),GAC (03-16-2023),HammerTime (03-16-2023),moewan (03-16-2023),Redhook (03-16-2023),Redsfan6272 (03-16-2023),Revering4Blue (03-16-2023),RiverRat13 (03-16-2023),Ron Madden (03-16-2023),Roy Tucker (03-16-2023),wally post (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm happy for the Bengals.
    I've been a Bengals fan from day one, in the beginning.

I'm enjoying all of the recent success and the good vibes from the fanbase, really hope it continues.

We all know those good vibes come crashing down when the bandwagon fans turn on'em the first time we have a losing season.
    Fine by me. The Bengals have had more success in these last 2 years than the entire rest of my life. (30+ years)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Thought it was a joke when I first saw the news on reddit. Big money upfront, but great value for a top 10-15 OT. They're upgrading two positions, assuming Williams kicks over to the right side.

The best news about this deal is the structure, which is the complete opposite of how the Bengals have built their contracts in the past. They were going to have to change regardless with Burrow's contract, but this is an awesome sign that this is an complete philosophical change.

In the 1990s, Mike Brown was universally hated. Things started to slowly improve after the hiring of Marvin Lewis. I think a ton of credit goes to Katie Blackburn, who continues to take a greater role with each passing day.

It really shouldn't be hard for the Reds ownership group to see that if you put a winner on the field, the fans will be there to support it en masse.
    It was a slow turnover and many people laughed at her/them from the start, but she has done a really incredible job changing the direction of the franchise. It also helps to get a generational QB.

13. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (03-16-2023),Kingspoint (03-16-2023)

Happy for the Bengals, forever will be looking over my shoulder for the Langoliers to come and eat up my current feelings about them.

15. Likes:

dfs (03-16-2023),Ron Madden (03-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's a tale of two cities in Cincinnati.

[good for the Bengals]

IMO, the Bengal management know they have a window with a high caliber QB in Burrows, and they're going for it. At least showing a solid effort, and not sitting on their hands (which their Dad was good at doing; but not the kids).

How far do the Reds have to fall, and for how long, before something is done?
    His name is Burrow, don't know if it's intentional or not, just kind of irks me

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Fine by me. The Bengals have had more success in these last 2 years than the entire rest of my life. (30+ years)

- - - Updated - - -

It was a slow turnover and many people laughed at her/them from the start, but she has done a really incredible job changing the direction of the franchise. It also helps to get a generational QB.
    When Mike was still completely in charge they did an interview where the writer stated that he called out to Katie by calling her pumpkin. It gave any reader the impression that this was a simple bumpkin or the mom pop store feel that this team was known and criticized for.

Selling the name rights to the stadium helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Happy for the Bengals, forever will be looking over my shoulder for the Langoliers to come and eat up my current feelings about them.
    That’s a movie I haven’t seen in a LONG time!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

The Bengals are pushing all the right buttons. And when their owners talk to the media they don't look like a used car salesman.

20. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (03-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    The Bengals are pushing all the right buttons. And when their owners talk to the media they don't look like a used car salesman.
    I can't think of a bigger insult to used car salesmen

22. Likes:

Danny Serafini (03-21-2023),Revering4Blue (03-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One of my favorite movies.... lol
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

the reds are norfolk southern. [literally off the tracks. too soon?]

bengals are amazon prime.

25. Likes:

stlwahoo (03-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?