Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 is our last year of Votto

Re: 2023 is our last year of Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Jim Bowden doesn't make any sense. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is the starting first baseman for Toronto and they have Brandon Belt a LHH first baseman too.
    Agreed. Added to that, if Votto were going to request a trade, wouldn't he have done it already? Are we supposed to think that Votto believes the Reds have a chance this year and he's just waiting to see how it goes?

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-20-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I am 100 percent sure Bowden just made that up.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think Joey loves his fellow players enough to not set a precedent of taking a cut like that.

I mean even if he has a “respectable” 2-3 WAR season he deserves the option being picked up.
    Weird take. Taking a cut would possibly allow for bring in other players that could help make a difference. Are you suggesting that he remain part of the good ol' boy network? Friendship should never be predacated on helping your fellow man remain as rich as possible. I'd hope Votto is above that.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

I'd imagine the current Reds FO would love to not have to deal with whether or not to pick up his option at year's end.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (03-21-2023),stlwahoo (03-21-2023)

listen, jim bowden has to say something while wearing those leather pants

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The option is irrelevant. Reds won’t exercise. The question is whether Votto and Reds can make a deal at some number for 2024. I’ll guess they can make a deal. The amount will be informed by Joey’s 2023 performance but right now I’d guess $10 million. Joey’s made lots of dough, I doubt the negotiation will be too intense.
    Exactly, 13 million is way too rich for Phil C. I completely disagree with what Phil C is doing with this team.. but the Reds are so awful, if they had 13 million to spend (and 13 million only), does it really make sense to Spend it on Votto at his age?
    I mean, an normal franchise would probably pick it up, just to throw the fans a bone (assuming he has a good 2023).. I get all the arguments on that side.
    But the Reds are not a normal team. Phil C is going to pocket that 13 million.. His goal is to have the lowest payroll possible, and pretend that it's rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I really don’t think the money is a significant obstacle. Votto’s a wealthy guy, if he wants to play, he’ll work something out. The $7 million buyout is meaningless, they’ll come up with a number so he can play as a Red.

The bigger issue is playing time. Unless Reds intend to use Joey as a regular everyday player it may not be worth his while. I’m not sure he wants to be an old guy who plays three times a week and pinch hits. If Reds can’t come up with a scheme to give him meaningful playing time, he might just stop.
    But here's a question that has not been asked.. Why in the world would he want to come back?
    Reds are going to lose 90-100 games next year, probably closer to 100.... Phil C is not likely to open the pocketbook for 2024.. So why would Votto want to come back and play in 2024? Most of his long time friends have already been salary dumped.
    If his option is picked up, sure he will play, but why would he take less money to be on a crappy team? It can't be enjoyable.
    If he wants to play another year, and the Reds decline his option, why not take the 7 million buyout and be a DH on a contender (I am assuming he has a respectable 2023.. if he has a bad 2023, I'm sure he'd prefer to retire)
    Last edited by REDREAD; 03-21-2023 at 12:59 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Weird take. Taking a cut would possibly allow for bring in other players that could help make a difference. Are you suggesting that he remain part of the good ol' boy network? Friendship should never be predacated on helping your fellow man remain as rich as possible. I'd hope Votto is above that.
    Weirder take. The Reds have $0.00 money on the books for next year. They can afford Votto on any contract.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-21-2023),terminator (03-21-2023)

I love how people still believe the Reds are going to spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Yes, because of course, Joey Votto's salary has been exactly what is holding the Reds back from paying other players market rate all these years.

Once he's gone the Reds will spend freely and with an astute eye on rectifying the damage that Votto's contract has done to the franchise.
    Last edited by westofyou; 03-21-2023 at 12:35 PM.

16. Likes:

LeatherPants (03-21-2023),Ron Madden (03-21-2023)

I wish the title of this thread was "2023 is our last year of the Castellini family and Nick Krall"
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, because of course, Joey Votto's salary has been exactly what is holding the Reds back from paying other players market rate all these years.

Once he's gone the Reds will spend freely and with an astute eye on rectifying the damage that Votto's contract has done to the franchise.
    Image the caliber of hitter they could have bought with Votto's salary!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

You know the narrative;always hate the one who makes the most. It always works.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

westofyou (03-21-2023)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm not sure this is really his last season, but you better believe I bought tickets behind first base for the final home game the second they went on sale. It's the only game I'll be going to this year.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-21-2023)

Buster Olney: Reds' Votto values wearing the same uniform his whole career

Joey Votto has had a storied career with the Cincinnati Reds.

The 39-year-old first baseman has played his entire 16-season career with the Reds, slashing .297/.412/.513 while knocking in 1,106 RBIs in 1,991 career games.

The Canadian is a six-time all-star, won a Gold Glove in 2011, and took home the National League MVP in 2010.

But team success during Votto's time has been fleeting. The Reds have only made the playoffs four times, never winning a round.

With Votto nearing the end of his career and the Reds once again not projecting to be a playoff contender, Reds general manager Nick Krall told Jim Bowden of The Athletic that he would consider dealing the veteran to his hometown Blue Jays if he were to make that request.

However, ESPN's Buster Olney joined TSN1050 on Tuesday and he doesn't believe that situation is likely.

My gut is Votto isn't someone who is going to embrace change," said Olney. "He's going to value having gone through his whole career wearing the same uniform."

"Every time I asked people in his camp, people in the Reds organization, and just having conversations with Votto, everything I've ever gotten back is that he values playing for the Reds and wants to play his whole career there."

Olney believes that if any player can bounce back at this stage of his career, it would be Votto.

"When you talk about the possibility of a plyer being mind over matter in terms of overcoming age and making adjustments as you get older, [Votto] would be at the top of the list," said Olney. " So, I think he's going to have a good year."

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/buster-olney-...reer-1.1934567

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Image the caliber of hitter they could have bought with Votto's salary!
    They could have gotten . . . Joey Votto with that money
    Where we gonna go?

26. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-05-2023),dubc47834 (03-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?