Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Would you be surprised if Mets don’t make a serious attempt to trade for Alexis Diaz?

Would you be surprised if Mets don’t make a serious attempt to trade for Alexis Diaz?

Can the Reds ask for the moon? Who would you ask for? Does anyone feel teams such as the LA, Mets or NYY just assume they can trade for other teams’ players as if they're entitled to them?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you be surprised if Mets don’t make a serious attempt to trade for Alexis D

According to Jim Bowden in the Athletic (I know … take it FWIW), he lists the Reds and Díaz as one of five possibilities.

In one paragraph, Bowden says the Mets should be able to make a deal and retain all of their top five prospects. In another paragraph, JimBo says that Díaz would come at a steep cost in prospects. He doesn’t say it, but I am assuming that he still doesn’t think acquiring Díaz would cost the Mets any of their top five prospects.

It seems as if Bowden is doing a little pre-trade damage control for the Mets by tempering expectations of what teams should expect to get back in a trade. If the Mets want Alexis Díaz, they should pay through the nose to get him.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Re: Would you be surprised if Mets don’t make a serious attempt to trade for Alexis D

Reds are not getting Alvarez or Baty for Diaz. Just look at Baseball Trade Values, those two prospects have materially higher values.

Beyond that, if Reds could get one of Mets’ other top prospects, worth exploring. Mets have no reason to overpay too dramatically, we’re talking reliever trades, there are others out there. Diaz had a fine season in 2022, but it’s only one year and a 4.7 BB average. Mets can pay virtually any salary necessary to get a reliever, which helps them.

Diaz didn’t help things with his WBC performance last night.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-18-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Yes, the Reds can ask for the moon. Diaz is under team control through 2027 and is 26 years old.

Ask for the moon and if the Mets tell you no then oh well. I was initially thinking Parada and Tidwell (effectively asking for their 2022 draft) but is that moon enough?

If the Reds can get Parada in a deal for Diaz, there’d be a good basis for hammering out a deal. Maybe Reds get another piece, to be negotiated.

Closer is a luxury for the Reds who, IMO, who won’t be contenders for awhile. If they can get a high first draft choice type player, such as Parada, I’d be very interested.

Would Alex Ramirez be a lead piece Reds should accept? Not sure, maybe, worth exploring a broader deal. Reds do need CF talent.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Yes, the Reds can ask for the moon. Diaz is under team control through 2027 and is 26 years old.

Ask for the moon and if the Mets tell you no then oh well. I was initially thinking Parada and Tidwell (effectively asking for their 2022 draft) but is that moon enough?
    If they did those two and Alex Ramirez I would do it. Would also send them back a piece, perhaps a Rece Hinds/Allen/Hendrick piece or two- something like that.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

podgejeff_ (03-18-2023)

Ramirez, Baty, or Alvarez-- that's my first choice.

That said, David Peterson would be an interesting get. He's New York's fifth starter. They could withstand his loss by moving up Joey Lucchesi and not miss much of a beat. Peterson is young and has some upside-- he's got a live fastball and could well find another gear. I like him as an Anthony DeSclafani type to pair with Greene/ Lodolo/ Ashcraft.

Tylor Megill is another target that would help the Reds both now and in the future. He's a massive guy and has only pitched for a couple of years, so he'd fit right in with the supposed window. I'd want he and Jose Butto (a soft-tosser who might be a very good innings eater BOR guy) or perhaps gamble on Mark Vientos (as a secondary piece) being able to play a passable enough 3B to show off his light pole RH power.

10. Likes:

icehole3 (03-18-2023),JCM11 (03-18-2023)

Alex Ramirez and Eric Orze for Diaz. That's a good deal for both teams. Maybe the Reds could get the Mets to take Senzel to save some dead money.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-18-2023 at 10:31 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

icehole3 (03-18-2023)

I have a feeling Diaz is going to be the next Amir Garrett opposed to next Aroldis Chapman/Raisel Iglesias. His BB numbers were flat out bad last year. Seems like a one year wonder to me because of extreme luck. The takes on Diaz are exactly what people said about Amir Garrett. “You can’t trade your all star closer with 5 years of control!”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

mth123 (03-18-2023)

I doubt the Mets would trade for Diaz. They don’t care about the years of team control he has, they just need a closer for this year. No need to pay for those extra years when you can get some one cheaper just for 2023.

Not sure who that would be, but they would want someone with more experience too. Salary shouldn’t be an obstacle for them either.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have a feeling Diaz is going to be the next Amir Garrett opposed to next Aroldis Chapman/Raisel Iglesias. His BB numbers were flat out bad last year. Seems like a one year wonder to me because of extreme luck. The takes on Diaz are exactly what people said about Amir Garrett. “You can’t trade your all star closer with 5 years of control!”
    I agree Diaz is a bit overrated, especially by Reds fans, but he isn’t like Garrett.

Garrett never put up good peripherals and his spin rate was one of the worst in the majors. Every time he pitched, I was nervous.

On the other hand, Diaz still had good peripherals last year, just not as strong as his ERA suggests. More importantly, he had one of the most effective pitches in all of MLB last year, I believe top 5 in the league. It wasn’t because of extreme luck.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-18-2023)

His WHIP was under 1 though, he was second in MLB in hits allowed (4.0) for relievers with 60 IP or more.

Walks suck, but that WHIP is nice

19. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-18-2023)

No one past Alex Ramirez really interests me as a headliner. Baty is probably unlikely though he would be my first ask. Parada would be a good get, and if the Mets think Alvarez can stick at C then they should be open to moving Parada IMO. I would also at least try to land one of the Mets top 10ish pitchers.

His last two appearances in the WBC weren't very stellar. He was Wild Thing wild.

But, if anyone is going to overpay for him, it's going to be the Mets.
    Last edited by Chip R; 03-20-2023 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    His WHIP was under 1 though, he was second in MLB in hits allowed (4.0) for relievers with 60 IP or more.

Walks suck, but that WHIP is nice
    The WHIP is nice, but I would be shocked if it is sustainable. Dude had a .181 babip. I just do not see that as realistic.

I like the guy just fine, but he just screams one year wonder to me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?