Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 320

Thread: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

  1. #76
    Member WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    17,124

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    I see it being discussed already, but here's BobbyN's tweet on the rotation:

    Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

    David Bell confirms the Reds set their rotation in this order to start the season: RHP Hunter Greene, LHP Nick Lodolo, RHP Graham Ashcraft, RHP Connor Overton and RHP Luis Cessa.
    1:50pm ∑ 24 Mar 2023
    Your imagination is a powerful weapon. Make sure you know when you're using it.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    18,376

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, it does. Collective pitching burnout and overpromotion are real things. Definitely matters.

    Follow what the good teams do. Hint: They don’t do this.
    Not sure what overpromotion you are referring to, with that said a lot of teams use journeymen/AAAA starters for BOR inning eaters during lost seasons. Even the good teams. Not saying I like it, because I hate it, but it is a fact.

    2014/2015 Yankees (basically .500 teams) used 35 year old Chris Capuano for 16 starts (12 in 14), Chase Whitley (who???) started 12 games. David Phelps started 17 games in 2014, Shane Greene started 14 games in 2014.

    Last year when the Red Sox knew they were going to suck they started the likes of Kutter Crawford, Josh Winckowski, Garrett Whitlock, and Austin Davis for a combined 29 starts.

    In 2021 the Phillies gave 12 starts to our own Chase Anderson, 12 to Ranger Suarez, 7 to Spencer Howard, 1 to 36 year old to Brandon Kintzler (lol), 2 to something called Sam Coonrod, 11 to Kyle Gibson, 17 to Vince Velasquez, so on and so forth (they pretty much started a ton of dudes that suck) - the next year they went to the World Series.

    So on and so forth. This idea that only bad teams eat up innings with journeymen is just revisionist history. The Reds do it wayyyyyy more than the good teams, mostly because they are cheap idiots, but this is a lost season. They aren't going to go out and get a good vet to pitch at the BOR. They are going to eat up innings with Overton, Anderson, Cessa, Williamson, etc.

    This season is about getting the young pitchers and hitters experience and building toward 2024/2025. That is it. I hate it too, but I am not going to be delusional about it.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-24-2023 at 03:43 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  4. Likes:

    757690 (03-24-2023),Old school 1983 (03-24-2023),redsfan9988 (03-24-2023)

  5. #78
    Pitter Patter TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    20,643

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, it does. Collective pitching burnout and overpromotion are real things. Definitely matters.

    Follow what the good teams do. Hint: They donít do this.
    Are the Braves a good team? because they do this all the time.
    My two daughters have a side hustle. Shimmer and Rust

  6. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (03-24-2023)

  7. #79
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    10,122

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Are the Braves a good team? because they do this all the time.
    Dodgers, Cards, and Pads too.

  8. #80
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Are the Braves a good team? because they do this all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Dodgers, Cards, and Pads too.
    But they all didn't do so without a couple of veterans (NOT AAAA chaf) in the rotation.

    Ditto for the Cubs and Astros during their entire respective burn-to-the-ground rebuilds.

    The Reds?

    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-24-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

  9. Likes:

    Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023)

  10. #81
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,326

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Williamson's had reliever written all over him since the trade. Not even sure he can be a good reliever, but the move needs to happen.

  11. Likes:

    Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),Kingspoint (03-24-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-24-2023)

  12. #82
    Member Kingspoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    10,975

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I suppose they are the best of a a bad bunch. Going to be a loooong season with two black holes in the rotation.
    And three shining stars leading the way.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  13. #83
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,326

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    How many times over the last 20 years have we gone through this? Reds never learn to invest in their arms. Penny-wise and pound foolish. Even just one veteran pickup would have really helped this group. I still believe the rotation will be the best reason to follow this club (which says a lot), but there's not much to be excited about beyond the big three and Diaz, and I'm including the entire farm here too. This would have been a really good time to invest in a legitimate veteran starting pitcher. There's nothing coming anyway, why not add it now?

  14. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (03-26-2023),Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-24-2023)

  15. #84
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,590

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Williamson's had reliever written all over him since the trade. Not even sure he can be a good reliever, but the move needs to happen.
    It can’t happen yet, not as long as they need someone to replace their 4th and 5th starters (at the least) sometime soon this season.

  16. Likes:

    Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-25-2023)

  17. #85
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,590

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    I wouldn’t be surprised if Overton could actually clear waivers if he were designated for assignment this week. Yet, the Reds are going to give him a rotation spot, speaks volumes to how little depth this team has right now as far as pitching goes.

  18. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (03-26-2023),Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),membengal (03-25-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-24-2023),wlf WV (03-25-2023)

  19. #86
    Man Pills Falls City Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    28,891

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    The perennially good teams like the Braves, Rays, Yankees, Cardinals, etc. donít give 40% of their seasonís starts to sub-replacement starters and bullpen arms with sub-sub-replacements and rushed prospects in the minors. Especially if they have a bullpen as bad as the Redsí. Itís a recipe for stressing the hell out of the bad bullpen and the temptation to push our decent young arms a hitter or three too long.

    If those good teams roll the dice on those last two rotation spots they do it with absolute hammers in the bullpen. Not the C4 brigade that we have.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 03-24-2023 at 08:54 PM.
    The owl of Minerva flies only at dusk.

  20. Likes:

    GAC (04-15-2023),membengal (03-25-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-24-2023)

  21. #87
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,368

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The perennially good teams like the Braves, Rays, Yankees, Cardinals, etc. don’t give 40% of their season’s starts to sub-replacement starters and bullpen arms with sub-sub-replacements and rushed prospects in the minors. Especially if they have a bullpen as bad as the Reds’. It’s a recipe for stressing the hell out of the bad bullpen and the temptation to push our decent young arms a hitter or three too long.

    If those good teams roll the dice on those last two rotation spots they do it with absolute hammers in the bullpen. Not the C4 brigade that we have.
    Overton and Cessa were not sub replacement level as starters last year and both have positive career WARs. I’m more concerned about how many innings they can throw moreso than the quality of the innings. They’ll likely be okish.

  22. #88
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,590

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Overton is going to be terrible, don’t be fooled by his ERA last year.

    There’s a reason why he was a minor league signing, there’s a reason why multiple teams have churned through him, there’s a reason why he’s about to turn 30 and has a year of big league service in his career.

  23. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (03-26-2023),mth123 (03-24-2023),Revering4Blue (03-25-2023),Tom Servo (03-25-2023)

  24. #89
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    29,468

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Overton is going to be terrible, don’t be fooled by his ERA last year.

    There’s a reason why he was a minor league signing, there’s a reason why multiple teams have churned through him, there’s a reason why he’s about to turn 30 and has a year of big league service in his career.
    You could say this about several names on this staff. Its true in all cases.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  25. Likes:

    wlf WV (03-25-2023)

  26. #90
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,368

    Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Overton is going to be terrible, don’t be fooled by his ERA last year.

    There’s a reason why he was a minor league signing, there’s a reason why multiple teams have churned through him, there’s a reason why he’s about to turn 30 and has a year of big league service in his career.
    I figure he’ll be around a 4.5-5 era guy. Anything better than that is gravy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You could say this about several names on this staff. Its true in all cases.
    Who else do you think this about.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator