Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Weaver rides changeup to best start of 2023
    Continue Reading:
    Allie Kaylor, https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/luke-w...s-to-cardinals
    I know Allie, good person and writer.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-26-2023),Ron Madden (05-26-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know Allie, good person and writer.
    Allie is very cool. She's worked hard for this gig.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-26-2023),Tom Servo (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Hey, Weaver deserves some love around here. He actually looks like he could be a decent MOR starter. Or in the Reds' case...our ace.

Also, if Bell and Derek Johnson have even a lick of sense, they should introduce him to Greene and Ashcraft.
    I watched some of a start a few weeks ago and the pitches look good. Movement is good, but location and maybe sequencing isn't great. I'm always fascinated with pitchers who seemingly have good stuff that aren't effective in thr majors.

Not sure if it's arm slot, deception, location, sequencing. Etc

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

What boils my beets is that Greene and Ashcraft have been allowed to go through the system without being taught or made to throw anything slower than a hard slider.

After Greene's last start, Bell said they "were encouraging" him to throw the changeup more (than the twice per game he seemed to be averaging). That's nice.

Ashcraft? According to Fangraphs, his next changeup will be his first in 2023. And neither of them have been introduced to what is generally known as a "curveball".

This is all a huge coaching and management failure, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

I don't think Weaver knows anymore than we do whether a pitch he throws will be hit hard or not. It seems like every pitch is a "heave-and-hope". Because he's willing to throw the ball over the plate, he'll have some good games to go with the many bad ones. I guess that's an "innings-eater", though it would be nice if we got something closer to his latest effort than most of his other efforts this season. Ironically, I do believe we have a winning record when he takes the mound. Guess that's all that matters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The Cincinnati Reds find themselves, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, in 3rd place in the NLC and only 6 games under .500 approximately 40% of the way through the 2023 season. On pace to finish with a 73-89 record.

Their “mediocre” record to date is in no small part due to their starting pitching…whose performances from 11 players combined have a 6.06 ERA in 315 IP on the season (29th worst starting ERA in the majors).

Their bullpen, has thrown more innings than 26 other clubs thus far, putting up a 3.85 ERA.

Yes sounds like the bench or catcher under direction of the bench, need
    to be making more or all the calls.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

The Reds have called up veteran pitcher Alec Mills and designated reliever Jake Wong for assignment.

Mills was in the Cubs' rotation for a while before signing a minor league deal with the Reds in the middle of the season. He's a candidate to join the Reds' rotation.

Mills' 2022 season ended due to back surgery, and he signed with the Reds in May.

He's built up as a starter. We'll see how the Reds use Thursday's off day to shape the rotation, but Mills could likely slide into the open fifth spot

the 32nd pitcher to date. I wonder how the last 8 or 9 one or two timers were assessed/evaluated re keeping or designating based on bullpens or single opportunities. versus for example, weaver.

were they all that bad!

Turn Off Ads?