Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

Who's in the running for the last 2 rotation spots?
    Luke Weaver
    Manager David Bell conceded on Saturday that Luke Weaver's chances of being ready for the start of the season are in doubt. Weaver left a Minor League game on Monday with soreness in his right forearm.

"The next couple of days will tell us a lot more. I think it’s going to be really close, though," Bell said. "I think we’d have to push pretty hard to get him ready for Opening Day."

Louis Cessa
    Another candidate, Luis Cessa, has been away from the team to pitch for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic. However, Cessa has only pitched once during that span -- a two-inning relief appearance against Colombia on March 11.

"It’s still possible he would be able to be in our rotation and get up to 4-5 innings," Bell said. "... If, for some reason, that doesn’t happen, he has a spot on our staff. He can help us as a reliever, but he’s still in the mix for the rotation."

Brandon Williamson
    Cincinnati's No. 10-ranked prospect by MLB Pipeline, Williamson pitched four innings in Saturday's 7-1 win over the A's and allowed one earned run and two hits with two walks and two strikeouts.

Walks have been a mild issue for Williamson during camp. He has six of them along with 12 hits and 11 strikeouts over 11 innings. But he felt more in command on Saturday. Williamson has a 6.55 ERA through five games (three starts).

Connor Overton

Chase Anderson

There are two off-days in the schedule in the first nine days of the regular season, but going with a four-man rotation isn't necessarily a solution -- especially if it requires sending someone to the Minors. Players optioned cannot be recalled for at least 15 days. Following those two off-days, the Reds play 19 straight games and would certainly need a fifth starter for that stretch.

Who do you think gets those last 2 rotation spots?
    story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-p...rotation-spots

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

They are all terrible.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-24-2023),Falls City Beer (03-24-2023),membengal (03-19-2023),mth123 (03-18-2023),Playadlc (03-20-2023),Revering4Blue (03-18-2023)

This is when I realise that my prediction of 72 wins is super optimistic.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-18-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd guess Overton and Anderson. I think they want to see Williamson excel in AAA first.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Sounds like bullpen days for those 2 spots.
    Go Gators!

I'd piggyback Willaimson with Overton to cover the 4th spot. I think they pose an intriguing tandem that could post OK results. To start the season I'd dobthe same with Cessa and Anderson.

10. Likes:

JFLegal (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I'd piggyback Willaimson with Overton to cover the 4th spot. I think they pose an intriguing tandem that could post OK results. To start the season I'd dobthe same with Cessa and Anderson.
    i like this.

- - - Updated - - -

as for cessa, yes he's only thrown 2 innings so far in the WBC, but i would bet there is an extremely high probability he will pitch in the semifinals against japan.

Cessa and Weaver might have been the expected 4 and 5 but neither will likely be ready.

So it boils down to Anderson, Overton, and Williamson.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Reds gave Williamson a couple of starts before sending him back to AAA. Just to give him some experience, with the understanding that it’s just a fill in role.

Otherwise it’s just a matter of who is healthy, stretched out and ready. Reds won’t be too choosy, it’s a temporary gig.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

Luis Cessa is starting today's game vs the Brewers

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Hunter Greene is scheduled to pitch in a minor league game today as Cessa starts vs the Brewers.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-19-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Whose ready by opening day isn’t that relevant. Most likely all of these guys will start games for the Reds this season. What’s most important is who starts the most games over the entire season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

16. Likes:

CySeymour (03-19-2023),Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

I think Williamson should get a shot to show what he can do. Not sure he would be any more ready in May than he would be in April. Cessa is my other choice, but I understand his situation. A couple of weeks out of the pen should help him get ready. In the interim go with Anderson. If both Anderson and Williamson pitch well, leave Cessa in the pen. If one of them pitches poorly, or, heaven forbid, someone gets hurt, Cessa would be natural to slide into that slot.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

wait, why did i think mexico was still in the WBC? cessa is starting today in a spring training game?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    wait, why did i think mexico was still in the WBC? cessa is starting today in a spring training game?
    Mexico is still alive, looks like the Reds pulled Cessa back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Mexico is still alive, looks like the Reds pulled Cessa back.
    Interesting.

Could cause some hard feelings, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Interesting.

Could cause some hard feelings, that.
    Cessa may not have been happy with the way he's been used in the WBC and might have thought winning a job in the starting rotation would be more important to his career

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    ·

Luis Cessa is back from the WBC and will start for the Reds today. Competing for a job in the Reds rotation, Cessa had just 2 innings for Mexico in the WBC.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Luis Cessa explains his decision to leave the World Baseball Classic with Mexico in the semifinal to return to the Reds.

He says he wants to fight for a spot in the rotation and he was behind in his buildup for the season.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-19-2023 at 12:43 PM.

23. Likes:

JFLegal (03-19-2023),malcontent (03-19-2023),mbgrayson (03-19-2023)

Turn Off Ads?