Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extend Elly now?

Extend Elly now?

Should we give Elly a Acuna style contract now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Extend Elly now?

Easy answer, yes!

Get him to 30-31.I would try to offer a 9-10yr deal for $150-200M something like that.

Absolutely. But it’s probably going to look more like Carroll’s deal than Acuna’s.

He's been stellar, but I'd rather wait to see how he does next season when there's more of a book on him and to see how his body holds up.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    He's been stellar, but I'd rather wait to see how he does next season when there's more of a book on him and to see how his body holds up.
    You wait until he is established, and you don't get the deal. That's the whole point.

7. Likes:

foster15 (06-24-2023),goreds2 (06-24-2023),IKnowNothing (06-25-2023),MoneyInTheBank (06-24-2023),OesterPoster (06-26-2023),Ron Madden (06-25-2023),WildcatFan (06-26-2023)

Let this be my first post as a longtime lurker, first time logged in... YES, Elly is who you build the team around. McClain, Steer, TJ, Benson... these are the guys. We MUST make keeping Elly absolutely priority #1, though.

9. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2023),goreds2 (06-24-2023),IKnowNothing (06-25-2023),Ron Madden (06-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    You wait until he is established, and you don't get the deal. That's the whole point.
    Yep, this is a gamble you have to take asap. If his career is derailed by injury, well you lost the bet. But the longer you wait to take the leap, the more expensive that gamble becomes. And his body can break down at any point, waiting a year to see that it doesn't, won't give you a better chance that it won't happen the day after you sign him.

11. Likes:

IKnowNothing (06-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Votto2Elly View Post
    Let this be my first post as a longtime lurker, first time logged in... YES, Elly is who you build the team around. McClain, Steer, TJ, Benson... these are the guys. We MUST make keeping Elly absolutely priority #1, though.
    I liked your post mostly for your username. You have a lot to live up to as a poster with that name, haha.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (06-24-2023),Red Raindog (06-25-2023),Ron Madden (06-25-2023)

Of course you try to extend him and you do it as soon as possible.

I don't think he would be open to one, unless it was ridiculous. I posted a bunch about this in the Elly thread, but it basically boils down to the fact that he has no comps, he's a unicorn, the sky is the limit for him. If I were him, I would bet on myself.

Hopefully, he isn't as greedy as I am and is willing to commit long term to being a Red, even if it means losing money in the long term.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (06-24-2023),Red Oak (06-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Easy answer, yes!

Get him to 30-31.I would try to offer a 9-10yr deal for $150-200M something like that.
    Based on a couple weeks of play. I mean regardless of if they should consider it or not at this point, it's not going to happen any time soon. Use these years to acquire more pitching I guess. God knows they need it.

His value might be at an all time high right now. Absolutely no reason to think about an extension yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Based on a couple weeks of play. I mean regardless of if they should consider it or not at this point, it's not going to happen any time soon. Use these years to acquire more pitching I guess. God knows they need it.
    Nothing about that prevents them from getting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    His value might be at an all time high right now. Absolutely no reason to think about an extension yet.
    If he has a .900+ OPS through the end of the year it's curtains on a Reds extension - he's already a leading story on ESPN and several big Twitter accounts every night.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I don't even now how MLB contract work anymore, but I would extend Elly as soon as possible if he is willing to sign.

I might even try to extend Fraley right now.

I assume the rest of the guys will want to wait ....Freidl, McLain, India, Steer... etc and get as much money as possible.

Might be able to lock up Benson on a team friendly deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    If he has a .900+ OPS through the end of the year it's curtains on a Reds extension - he's already a leading story on ESPN and several big Twitter accounts every night.
    I wonder if this kid would sign anyway?

He has a lot to be grateful for regarding this organization.

I'm not saying he should or will...I'm just wondering if he would.

Greene is probably as calculated of a person as I have seen on the Reds, and he signed an extension. You'd have to think Elly would agree to something similar.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-25-2023)

Turn Off Ads?