Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

Re: The Candidates For The Reds Last 2 Rotation Spots

When the plan is to hope they can pick up starters on the waiver wire it’s not a good plan.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-20-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    When the plan is to hope they can pick up starters on the waiver wire it’s not a good plan.
    Relievers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'd go with Overton and Anderson. Let Williamson sharpen his command at AAA for a few starts and if he does then call him up.
    Let Cessa give the bullpen something reliable to save Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft games. Or let him caddy with Overton/Anderson for 3 or 4 innings apiece.

6. Likes:

mth123 (03-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I believe in traditional starting pitchers, but I think this may be the best plan at this point.
    I like traditional starters too. But I haven't seen anyone pitch a complete game in a long time. There was only ONE in 2022. That's sad. I'm afraid the traditional pitcher is dead.

Williamson has made the most sense for a long time. Unlike the others he could potentially pitch all year in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Williamson has made the most sense for a long time. Unlike the others he could potentially pitch all year in the rotation.

Hopefully his BB/9 from last year doesn't follow him to the majors.

I think the 4 spot will be Cessa. He has enough time to stretch out to 5 innings. Weaver will be on the IL. Williamson could either relieve or go to the minors to start. I think the latter is more likely. That leaves either Overton or Anderson for the final spot. Overton fits better in the pen than Anderson, so I believe Anderson gets the 5 spot.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-21-2023)

The big question is how long Weaver will be out. They don’t need a fifth starter until April 6th. He may not make the opening day roster and still not miss a start, being ready by April 6th. If he needs more time, based on what Bell has said, he probably only misses one start, so it’s possible the Reds just use that as a bullpen day, or someone like Anderson that they can send down more easily after one start.

If Weaver has a setback, then the decision becaome tougher, but I’m guessing it will be Overton, since that give Williamson more time to develop in the minors.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Williamson turns 25 in a few days it's time to take the training wheels off. Either he can get MLB hitters out or he can't, and this is the year to find out. Running out 30+ year old journeymen is a waste of everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Williamson turns 25 in a few days it's time to take the training wheels off. Either he can get MLB hitters out or he can't, and this is the year to find out. Running out 30+ year old journeymen is a waste of everyone's time.
    There's some logic in that. If, as most believe, the Reds are not going anywhere this year, then let Williamson learn how to improve his command enough to get MLB hitters out.

Williamson wasn't even a good minor league pitcher. What reason is there to put him in the big league rotation?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Williamson wasn't even a good minor league pitcher. What reason is there to put him in the big league rotation?
    Brandon Williamson career minor league numbers:

3.69 ERA
    11.5 K/9
    4.4 BB/9
    0.8 HR/9

Last year, his walks went up, but overall he still kept his ERA to 4.11 while the rest of his numbers stayed the same. He needs to show he has improved his control, but he has been a good minor league pitcher.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

He's big league "ready" and all the other candidates have thrown 80 or less innings a year for the last half decade.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-21-2023),Ron Madden (03-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He's big league "ready" and all the other candidates have thrown 80 or less innings a year for the last half decade.
    Which means we only have 3 Starters and that the team should truly concentrate on rostering all season long four long-relievers who could all throw for about 80-100 innings, 20-25 games apiece.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Brandon Williamson career minor league numbers:

3.69 ERA
    11.5 K/9
    4.4 BB/9
    0.8 HR/9

Last year, his walks went up, but overall he still kept his ERA to 4.11 while the rest of his numbers stayed the same. He needs to show he has improved his control, but he has been a good minor league pitcher.
    Last year at AAA Williamson threw only 32.7% ground balls and over 47% fly balls. His K rate was 7.97. His walk rate was over 6. His FIP was 4.90 and his xFIP over 6.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-21-2023 at 01:19 AM.

21. Likes:

mth123 (03-21-2023)

Turn Off Ads?