Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Re: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Another enjoyable UK basketball game tonight.
    One step forward, two steps back.

This team could play up against the top teams in the country in the tournament and possibly pull an upset or they could lose in the first round. There is no in between.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reminder. We're not real fans because we don't go to the Church of Calipari every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Reminder. We're not real fans because we don't go to the Church of Calipari every day.
    I don't think those exist during the regular season unless UK is in prime contention for a high seed in the tournament or it's preseason or early in the season and they haven't played a game yet.

I've posted this before but Cal and Kentucky are the married couple who have been together for too long who for one reason or another won't get a divorce even though it would be for the best interest of everyone.

Cal isn't going to get paid what he is getting paid at Kentucky and Kentucky isn't going to eat the buyout to get rid of him. Plus it would be Alabama 2.0 to get a coach in that teams would use the vacancy to get raises and stay where they are.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

jrdunnit (02-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't think those exist during the regular season unless UK is in prime contention for a high seed in the tournament or it's preseason or early in the season and they haven't played a game yet.

I've posted this before but Cal and Kentucky are the married couple who have been together for too long who for one reason or another won't get a divorce even though it would be for the best interest of everyone.

Cal isn't going to get paid what he is getting paid at Kentucky and Kentucky isn't going to eat the buyout to get rid of him. Plus it would be Alabama 2.0 to get a coach in that teams would use the vacancy to get raises and stay where they are.

Cal just keeps proving what I have always said, that head coach at UK is a 10 year max position. After that burnout comes about. I think what he has done in the last four or five years sort of proves that with UK slowly but surely going downhill.

Also it has always amazed me that there a segment of fans that don't think you should ever criticize your coach and if you do you are not a real fan or front runner.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

UK:

Sat, 2/24
    vs
    ALA
    4:00 PM est.

CBS
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cal just keeps proving what I have always said, that head coach at UK is a 10 year max position. After that burnout comes about. I think what he has done in the last four or five years sort of proves that with UK slowly but surely going downhill.

Also it has always amazed me that there a segment of fans that don't think you should ever criticize your coach and if you do you are not a real fan or front runner.
    I think back to the Tubby years. The segment of fans who did support him threw out a certain accusation that would get this conversation moved to the other forum. Nevermind that he never embraced recruiting and was too loyal to his assistants.

The loss to Wisconsin IMO is one that fans never forgave Cal for and he has never been the same coach since. I always go back to that game as the turning point in Cals legacy in Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think back to the Tubby years. The segment of fans who did support him threw out a certain accusation that would get this conversation moved to the other forum. Nevermind that he never embraced recruiting and was too loyal to his assistants.

The loss to Wisconsin IMO is one that fans never forgave Cal for and he has never been the same coach since. I always go back to that game as the turning point in Cals legacy in Lexington.

That accusation absolutely had merit. If I heard the hateful comments once, I heard them ten or fifteen times every week(I live in SEKY, so it's not surprising). It's probably one big reason Tubby left town so quickly. I heard he received threats(and , of course, a lot of disgusting mail). We hear a lot about how UK fans are the best anywhere in the country. There's a segment of UK fans, however, that are absolutely the worst you'll find.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    That accusation absolutely had merit. If I heard the hateful comments once, I heard them ten or fifteen times every week(I live in SEKY, so it's not surprising). It's probably one big reason Tubby left town so quickly. I heard he received threats(and , of course, a lot of disgusting mail). We hear a lot about how UK fans are the best anywhere in the country. There's a segment of UK fans, however, that are absolutely the worst you'll find.
    It did. I grew up in the northeastern part of the state and I heard it more often than not.

At the same time, supporting fans and the media delighted in bringing it up when things went awry. I especially think of Dick Vitale when Tubby left. I mean, how dare we expect to win at the level of Duke, Kansas, and UNC?

Supposedly one of the reasons he left that never was discussed was UK had an anti nepotism policy which prevented him from bringing Saul onto the coaching staff.

Justin Edwards is having a breakout game and Kentucky is dominating the no 1 team in the SEC.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (02-24-2024),Sea Ray (02-26-2024)

Game winner by Reed Sheppard after Kentucky almost blows it.

Reed Sheppard and his parents live just a few miles down the road from me so I've seen him play a lot. Never thought he'd be this productive his freshman season.

32 / 5 / 7 / 2 / 2 tonight at Starkville, including the game winner at 0.5 sec.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

15. Likes:

jrdunnit (02-28-2024)

I watched just part of this game. Surprised to see they won. I have the game on my DVR and I will watch the end of it later. They still aren't a very good defensive team although they have improved some. Still no where near championship level. Just too bad Shepard won't be around after this season. He could have been an all time favorite in the lines of Cotton Nash, Kyle Macy, Jack Givens, Jamal Mashburn just to name a few who achieved legendary status.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watched just part of this game. Surprised to see they won. I have the game on my DVR and I will watch the end of it later. They still aren't a very good defensive team although they have improved some. Still no where near championship level. Just too bad Shepard won't be around after this season. He could have been an all time favorite in the lines of Cotton Nash, Kyle Macy, Jack Givens, Jamal Mashburn just to name a few who achieved legendary status.
    I agree. Were he to stay at UK for 4 years, he would likely be a Kentucky basketball legend in the eyes of most UK fans.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Seasons not over yet.

IF this team goes on a run and Sheppard is the catalyst that could still very well happen.

Something I don't understand:

Sheppard and Dillingham are still coming off the bench. Why aren't they starting and Cal is relying on them to dig us out of a hole? Use them to start the tone and bringing Wagner and Edwards off the bench might motivate them.

Turn Off Ads?