Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Re: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

UK missed Wagner and had a pretty big letdown after blowing out Miami.

Kudos to UNCW, they couldn't miss and exposed Sheppard defensively.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is what happens when you have practically a new team every year. Saying that, no UK team should lose to a mid major at home. Even if they are down a player or two. So nothing has really changed from the last few years. They were about to suck me back in too.

The coach for UNC-Wilmington was a player from that Gardner Webb team that came into Rupp and beat UK back in the BCG era. Maybe UK should hire him as coach since he never loses in Rupp?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    This is what happens when you have practically a new team every year. Saying that, no UK team should lose to a mid major at home. Even if they are down a player or two. So nothing has really changed from the last few years. They were about to suck me back in too.

The coach for UNC-Wilmington was a player from that Gardner Webb team that came into Rupp and beat UK back in the BCG era. Maybe UK should hire him as coach since he never loses in Rupp?
    UK lost to a mid major that will probably be dancing in March. One of the tougher out of conference games Cal has scheduled. It's not like Evansville a couple years ago.

You kinda see why Cal only plays Sheppard in spurts tonight. He had a monster stat line compared to the rest of the team (Edwards was horrendous) yet the guards of UNCW were running the clock down to 2 seconds and picking Reed apart. There wasn't a lot of tape on Reed prior to the Miami game but now that there is tape teams are going to keep making adjustments.

DJ Wagner plays and Kentucky doesn't lose this game.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (12-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    UK lost to a mid major that will probably be dancing in March. One of the tougher out of conference games Cal has scheduled. It's not like Evansville a couple years ago.

You kinda see why Cal only plays Sheppard in spurts tonight. He had a monster stat line compared to the rest of the team (Edwards was horrendous) yet the guards of UNCW were running the clock down to 2 seconds and picking Reed apart. There wasn't a lot of tape on Reed prior to the Miami game but now that there is tape teams are going to keep making adjustments.

Still a bad loss IMO. You can't lose at home to a mid major. When coaches of the past started losing to mid majors you knew they were in trouble. But Cal has a lifetime pass just going to have to get used to this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They were about to suck me back in too.
    If this is all it takes to lose you...

- - - Updated - - -

Edwards and Dillingham had bad games.

It happens-- especially to freshmen teams.

It's ridiculous that "fans" expect perfection.

8. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If this is all it takes to lose you...

- - - Updated - - -

Edwards and Dillingham had bad games.

It happens-- especially to freshmen teams.

It's ridiculous that "fans" expect perfection.
    Not perfection, just not crapping the bed four days after a signature win.

It's not surprising though with three players out and Cal running a 7 man rotation most of the game. Reeves had a less than stellar game as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's not the first game they drop that they shouldn't until they get back to full health.

10. Likes:

Not perfection, just not crapping the bed four days after a signature win.

It's not surprising though with three players out and Cal running a 7 man rotation most of the game.
    The starting PG was out. Two more guys injured. On a team filled with freshmen, losses are going to happen.

Deciding to jump ship now just defies common sense.

(But that's typical for UK fans.)

I don't think expecting KENTUCKY to beat a directional school AT HOME is asking too much...

Tubby Smith lost the following non-conference games at home
    1997 Louisville
    2000 Penn State
    2001 Western Kentucky
    2002 Michigan State
    2003 Louisville
    2005 Kansas
    2005 North Carolina

And fans were ready to run him out of town because of the FF drought.

Well We're now at 9 years and the Calipari apologists continue to move the goalposts on the expectations of the program (Not saying necessarily anyone on this board but there's Cal-apologists all over the place)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    I don't think expecting KENTUCKY to beat a directional school AT HOME is asking too much...
    Again, three top players hurt and a team of freshmen.

Losses happen.

Starting 2 seniors.

Tubby Smith lost the following non-conference games at home
    1997 Louisville
    2000 Penn State
    2001 Western Kentucky
    2002 Michigan State
    2003 Louisville
    2005 Kansas
    2005 North Carolina

And fans were ready to run him out of town because of the FF drought.

Well We're now at 9 years and the Calipari apologists continue to move the goalposts on the expectations of the program (Not saying necessarily anyone on this board but there's Cal-apologists all over the place)
    You're making my argument for me.

Those "fans" were stupid-- they routinely expect the impossible.

They did under Hall.
    They did under Sutton.
    They did under Pitino.
    They did under Smith.
    They are now under Calipari.

- - - Updated - - -

Starting 2 seniors.
    One of whom is brand new to the program, and the other essentially a sophomore.

Again, if you can't handle losses, you might want to consider just not being a fan of any team.

The days of complete and utter dominance are over-- for everyone.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-05-2023)

Yeah, because it's KENTUCKY. The expectations are the expectations. It's why they've won National Titles under 5 coaches. The goal never changes. It's the best and the worst. You better be able to handle it. Cal's little quip about Sheppard after the game was BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The starting PG was out. Two more guys injured. On a team filled with freshmen, losses are going to happen.

Deciding to jump ship now just defies common sense.

(But that's typical for UK fans.)
    Except this team has two seniors. It's unfortunate to follow up the best performance of the young season so far, injury or not, with what happened last night. That said, it shouldn't have been unexpected. As I said teams are starting to gameplan against Reed and have figured out how to attack him defensively. Cal has been able to hide it due to Wagner and with Wagner out fans are getting Reed Sheppard both the good and the bad.

I never said anything about jumping ship either. I know cumberlandreds has been pretty vocal about it but that's just the overall state of college sports. Not everyone agrees with NIL and the transfer portal but it's not going away anytime soon.

Yeah, because it's KENTUCKY. The expectations are the expectations. It's why they've won National Titles under 5 coaches. The goal never changes. It's the best and the worst. You better be able to handle it. Cal's little quip about Sheppard after the game was BS.
    I missed it. What did Cal say?

Turn Off Ads?