Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Re: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Honestly, this tournament run could go very well into April 8th or it could end Thursday night.

Oakland has a veteran coach, a forward who was the Horizon League POTY, and plays very similar to how St Peters played two years ago.

If they win, Texas Tech or a NC State team that beat Duke and UNC to win the ACC Tournament are waiting in the wings. Teams that win the conference championship unexpectedly usually end up flaming out early or they could go on a run like Auburn did about 4-5 years ago.

Marquette depends on the health of Tyler Kolek. I could honestly see Florida knocking them off and setting up a Kentucky -Florida Sweet 16 matchup. Kentucky already lost to Florida at Rupp earlier this year and they have gotten better.

If they make it to the Elite Eight, Houston is a matchup nightmare for Kentucky and would be the best defensive team Kentucky has faced all season. Duke and Kentucky could have easily been flip flopped in seeding but James Madison is a team I could see as a potential Cinderella making a Sweet 16 or even Elite Eight run.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    married couple who need to get a divorce but won't.
    It costs too much money!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2024)

Oh hail no. I just found out. What the hail happened?? ( wife’s side of the family is UK )
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Oh hail no. I just found out. What the hail happened?? ( wifeís side of the family is UK )
    Antonio Reeves was the only player who showed up. The stage was too big (again) for the Cats.

St Peters all over again.

Cal needs to retire. Not going to happen but I honestly don't see how he can be coaching next year.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2024)

And again, the smart fans here knew the end game early.

Absolutely inexcusable

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Iíd just like to say itís humorous to me everyone wanted Cal fired all year and the team got a 3 seed
    Lol. Good call

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-22-2024)

Calís buyout is less than half Jimbo Fisherís.

Why is that not doable in Lexington for Big Blue basketball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Calís buyout is less than half Jimbo Fisherís.

Why is that not doable in Lexington for Big Blue basketball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure fans will ask the same question.

If Cal is fired I do not want the guy who gave him a lifetime contract involved in the coaching search though.

You could see this coming miles away. Just pitiful how far this program has fallen. Cal's burned out and has been burned out since 2015. It's been a slow decline that got accelerated by COVID and then all of the NIL and transfer rule changes. I would think there is enough big money in Kentucky to buy him and send him off to retirement.
    This season turned out to be just a waste. A finely talented team with a Kentucky kid who was extremely talented popular but couldn't win a post season game. But should ne no surprise when you nearly freshman team that has no experience no matter how talented they are. Nothing takes the place of that experience. If all of these freshman were coming back I would be looking forward to next year. But as we all know they are gone to the NBA or another school to sell out their services. So no matter who is coaching next season its back to square one. I watched less this year than ever before and with the state of UK and all of college sports in general I am sure I will be watching even less next season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

What I would say is, be careful what you ask for. Get rid of Cal and not hire the "right" guy and then you become IU basketball. Stuck in a constant search for the "right" guy. UK's issue right now is, as others have said, NIL. Cal recruits those 5 stars and has a team full of talent, but no real experienced leadership. He needs to start hitting the portal or recruit some guys that are going to be 3-4 year guys. College basketball changed almost overnight, and Cal needs to adjust as well.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    What I would say is, be careful what you ask for. Get rid of Cal and not hire the "right" guy and then you become IU basketball. Stuck in a constant search for the "right" guy. UK's issue right now is, as others have said, NIL. Cal recruits those 5 stars and has a team full of talent, but no real experienced leadership. He needs to start hitting the portal or recruit some guys that are going to be 3-4 year guys. College basketball changed almost overnight, and Cal needs to adjust as well.
    They have done the portal. That's where Reeves and Mitchel came from. Some others in the past couple of seasons. That hasn't worked out for Cal either. He is burned out. 10 years is max for a UK coach to be there. He's in year 15. It's quite obvious its time to move on and take your chances with the next guy. They are slowly heading into IU territory. If they keep Cal they will be there very soon.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-22-2024)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They have done the portal. That's where Reeves and Mitchel came from. Some others in the past couple of seasons. That hasn't worked out for Cal either. He is burned out. 10 years is max for a UK coach to be there. He's in year 15. It's quite obvious its time to move on and take your chances with the next guy. They are slowly heading into IU territory. If they keep Cal they will be there very soon.
    No arguments from me. Obviously you guys know the program better than I do. I just don't want to see another blueblood program fall off like IU has. I want the IU/UK rivalry back and for it to mean something. Right now if our programs were to play each other consistantly, it would be UK whooping our asses all the time.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Lol. Good call
    Hey, it's me, the guy dumb enough to think UK's talent would show up for the tourney and had them losing to UCONN in the championship.

With that said, I totally get Cal is getting crapped on right now for this, but not his fault a d2 transfer named Jack Gohlkle nearly broke the NCAA tourney record with 3 pters made, often times with a hand in his face. Somethings are not the coaches fault. ::ducks::
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hey, it's me, the guy dumb enough to think UK's talent would show up for the tourney and had them losing to UCONN in the championship.

With that said, I totally get Cal is getting crapped on right now for this, but not his fault a d2 transfer named Jack Gohlkle nearly broke the NCAA tourney record with 3 pters made, often times with a hand in his face. Somethings are not the coaches fault. ::ducks::
    Its hard to win games when you are an 18 year old kid going against 24 year olds. You can have an uber talented team, Kentucky, but when they are young, and going up against guys 4-5 years older than them, at some point it catches up.

I think one thing the portal has done, is its allowed teams to get old, quick. You see guys transferring as 4th and 5th year guys. That age difference at times can make up a talent gap. And guys like Gohlkle have been killing teams in the tournament for years. Great shooter who goes off against a higher rated team, it happens every single season. Now Gohlkle may go 2-8 in his next game and thats all she wrote. But on one night he was damn near perfect.

20. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-22-2024),Revering4Blue (03-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Jay Wright had a similar view last night and while it's not wrong, its kind of a lazy take.

Two years ago Kentucky had Oscar Tshiebwe, Jacob Toppin, Davison Mintz, Sahvir Wheeler, etc. all players who came predominantly through the portal. Now it's a youth issue.

No, it's a coaching issue

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2024)

Turn Off Ads?