Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Re: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    He put his name in the NBA draft today but left open the possibility of returning to UK, which I expect him to do. He would very likely make more money next season at UK than he would in the NBA as a late second rounder in the NBA.
    As much as I love Oscar I am kinda ready for him to move on.

His defensive issues are a reason Kentucky has struggled in some games. He's a tenacious rebounder but not without flaws.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As much as I love Oscar I am kinda ready for him to move on.

His defensive issues are a reason Kentucky has struggled in some games. He's a tenacious rebounder but not without flaws.
    Sure, he's got flaws. But not that many. Offensively, if used properly, he's a fantastic safety valve. He can shoot from range, has a good one- and two-dribble drive, and is perhaps the most elite college basketball rebounder of the past half century. In a modern offense, he's not the hub around which the team revolves (no one is), but a complementary piece. He's a fantastic pick-and-roll guy with guys who can drive and shoot. Kentucky happens to have at least three of those on next season's squad.

Defensively, he has to be hidden a bit. He's struggled mightily against big, beefy centers-- which he has to be able to handle. The addition of a Swiss Army knife like Bradshaw might help.

IMO, the advantages far outweigh the negatives, but I know nothing of the team's inner workings. Tshiebwe might be a difficult guy to play around. He might not be a great film guy or be willing to switch. He might have a tough time hanging out with the younger guys on the roster as well. Too, he might chafe at the idea of being a glorified safety valve/ garbage man for a good squad. He might want to show off that three-point range and handle, thinking that's the way he makes it to the NBA. If that's the case, I could see the reasoning behind pushing him to greener pastures.

The Tshiebwe talk got me thinking about what could be with Kentucky's current roster. Lance Ware and Adou Theiro seems to be safe bets to return. (I like Thiero as a possible, last ditch PF in the starting rotation, fwiw. He's a defense-first guy who might be a solid 3-and-D capable of handling the ball as well. He's a little undersized, but not much. Long arms and a solid build. He's likely going to get stronger too-- especially in that program.) Right now, Reeves, Tshiebwe, Livingston, Fredrick, and Collins have decisions to make.

Let's assume both Collins and Livingston leave-- Collins for a college closer to home (Texas?) and Livingston to an NBA team who guarantees him a first round slot late. (Grizz, Hornets, Pacers, or Jazz makes some sense, I guess.)

Last year, both Tshiebwe and Reeves made serious bank for NIL-- Tshiebwe apparently made more than a million(!). Both decide to return, banking (literally) on those opportunities now given to college athletes. Fredrick, thisclose to marriage, signs up as well, hoping for his first fully healthy season in a decade. All three would almost assuredly make more money at Kentucky than anywhere else-- even if they're relegated to the bench.

That leaves the following:
    PG Dillingham/ Shepherd
    SG Wagner/ Fredrick
    SF Edwards/ Reeves
    PF Bradshaw/ Thiero
    C Tshiebwe/ Ware

That's the type of team that could withstand some injuries, shooting slumps, and freshman wall issues to put up 30 wins and compete for a title. It's the type of talent rarely seen in CBB these days-- with both veterans and youth. They'd go nine deep, with Ware as a 10th. (Ware is a decent backup center, but were Tshiebwe to struggle with foul trouble, Bradshaw moves to center, while Reeves/ Thiero/ Edwards slide down the spot as a shooter in a four-guard lineup.)

Onyenso left the option of returning on the table. He likes Kentucky but his handlers are trying to get him somewhere that he could be featured more.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (04-09-2023)

Calipari needs to be gone yesterday. He's killed the program. But he's not leaving until he can as many more draft picks as he possibly can. The guy wasn't lying when he said that he was thankful it was over (after winning his title), and then saying that getting guys into the NBA was bigger than any championships and what not. Why he was ever signed to that horrific contract, I'll never know. Why would the brass approve that?
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Calipari needs to be gone yesterday. He's killed the program. But he's not leaving until he can as many more draft picks as he possibly can. The guy wasn't lying when he said that he was thankful it was over (after winning his title), and then saying that getting guys into the NBA was bigger than any championships and what not. Why he was ever signed to that horrific contract, I'll never know. Why would the brass approve that?
    UK fanbase has a false narrative of what Cals real job is.......its not championships, it was never about championships...its about $$$$$. Cal brings in so much money to the university (same as Stoops now), and the potential for future money with all these NBA players, who make money, start other side things, spend money back as alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    UK fanbase has a false narrative of what Cals real job is.......its not championships, it was never about championships...its about $$$$$. Cal brings in so much money to the university (same as Stoops now), and the potential for future money with all these NBA players, who make money, start other side things, spend money back as alumni.
    False. He was hired to win championships. That's what he said he was hired to do. They hired Pitino to win championships. Winning games brings you money. Win enough games you win championships. You don't win enough games, you leave. Simple. His payoff amount is still really high, but he's approaching the point that they're going to pull the trigger and fire him. There's too much discontent in the fanbase not to. Have you seen the quality of opponents that have come into Rupp in recent years? Seen the number of actual attendees to home games? It's attrocious.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    False. He was hired to win championships. That's what he said he was hired to do. They hired Pitino to win championships. Winning games brings you money. Win enough games you win championships. You don't win enough games, you leave. Simple. His payoff amount is still really high, but he's approaching the point that they're going to pull the trigger and fire him. There's too much discontent in the fanbase not to. Have you seen the quality of opponents that have come into Rupp in recent years? Seen the number of actual attendees to home games? It's attrocious.
    Cal has won as many championships as Pitino.for that matter Hall and Tubby too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

MacKenzie Mbago might be worth keeping an eye on. He's asked out of his LOI at Duke and played with Bradshaw and Wagner in HS

Edit: Nevermind, Kentucky isn't pursuing him. Might end up at Louisville or the G League.
    Last edited by WVRed; 04-11-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Oneyonso is coming back. Break out that 2024 championship banner.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Put that champagne on ice. #9 is on the way!!!! LOL
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I suspect he'll end up a sneaky good player next year. All he'll have to do is defend near the basket and clean up on rebounds.

10 ppg / 9 reb/ 2.5 blocks is possible as a near full-time player.

He and Bradshaw as a twin towers is going to happen, at least in spurts. I'm hopeful both can shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect he'll end up a sneaky good player next year. All he'll have to do is defend near the basket and clean up on rebounds.

10 ppg / 9 reb/ 2.5 blocks is possible as a near full-time player.

He and Bradshaw as a twin towers is going to happen, at least in spurts. I'm hopeful both can shoot well enough to keep defenses honest.
    I would be THRILLED with 10 pts/game.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I would be THRILLED with 10 pts/game.
    As a garbage guy, I'm guessing that's his target. Four putbacks and/or pick and rolls, one pick and pop or set of free throws.

The question is whether he'll get the time to do it. Ware might take his clock. Bradshaw might end up at center too.

If Ugo's getting 20 mpg, the calculus changes.

Really wish Cal would reconsider Mbagko. That would likely take care of the PF issue on this team and he has already played with Wagner and Bradshaw.

Turn Off Ads?