Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

Re: UK Basketball 2023-2024: The Last Dance?

This is low hanging fruit for the media. When any high powered program wants to move on from their coach they jump on it and just say the fans are never satisfied. Of course they want Cal to stay because he is good copy too. But its more than time to move on from him. He is not going to get the support he needs to maintain a high level and I just don't think he has it in him any longer to do that even if he had that support. I have no idea who could replace him. I don't keep up enough with the overall game to know any of the up and coming coaches. Plus things have changed so much recently it takes a different kind of person than in time gone by, to keep a program like UK at a high level. I just know its time move on and try someone else.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    This is low hanging fruit for the media. When any high powered program wants to move on from their coach they jump on it and just say the fans are never satisfied. Of course they want Cal to stay because he is good copy too. But its more than time to move on from him. He is not going to get the support he needs to maintain a high level and I just don't think he has it in him any longer to do that even if he had that support. I have no idea who could replace him. I don't keep up enough with the overall game to know any of the up and coming coaches. Plus things have changed so much recently it takes a different kind of person than in time gone by, to keep a program like UK at a high level. I just know its time move on and try someone else.
    I look for Kentucky to either move off of him or Barnhart to clamp down on basketball to where Cal can't operate on an island anymore. If that happens, Cal may leave sooner rather than later.

The only coach I would be in favor of replacing Cal with is Jay Wright and I doubt he takes it. He is the only one I think who could 1. Deal with the fans and what comes with the fans where BCG failed) and 2. would be the antithesis of Cal in terms of player development. Problem is he is 62 (Cal is 65). Not exactly a long term fix.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

FWIW when I mean everyone not named Stoops is in play, sure there are some names that don't make sense, are too old, or are too rooted to a school. I don't think Few is a good choice for UK because he goes from the sleepy north west to paying in a pressure cooker. Izzo is Cal in a season or two.

I would throw the bank at Hurley and make him tell me no. If Hurley told me no, I would move on to Drew. IMO UK is a far better job than Louisville, and I think the SEC is far easier to manage than the ACC in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    College Gameday was going over Cal earlier today. While they all disagreed on how to fix it, none of them suggested Cal needed to go and called it "absurd".

Which brings up an interesting point:

The local media and fans want him gone. That has been obvious since Friday if not earlier.

The national media, namely ESPN, doesn't want Kentucky to move on from Cal. Translation: they don't want to move on from their main NBA college promoter.

Barnhart is in a no win situation. If he keeps Cal, fans are done. The Cal to Texas sign last year will be that times 10 every game. The post I shared above shows how stupid our fans can be. Plus with fans and boosters able to control the purse strings with NIL Mark Stoops will be the main beneficiary (even though he shouldn't).

If he fires Cal, it's Tubby Smith leaving for Minnesota all over again.

https://youtu.be/UZPJQrHsIng?si=SiNiBkZNsmeOSr5m

We get to hear how our expectations are out of whack even though nobody would say that about Kansas, Duke or UNC.

The thing with the fans is they are fickle. And often times it takes a reckoning like this to make the appropriate changes. Come next season if UK is top seed in the tournament, most of the fans will be happy with Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    FWIW when I mean everyone not named Stoops is in play, sure there are some names that don't make sense, are too old, or are too rooted to a school. I don't think Few is a good choice for UK because he goes from the sleepy north west to paying in a pressure cooker. Izzo is Cal in a season or two.

I would throw the bank at Hurley and make him tell me no. If Hurley told me no, I would move on to Drew. IMO UK is a far better job than Louisville, and I think the SEC is far easier to manage than the ACC in basketball.

The thing with the fans is they are fickle. And often times it takes a reckoning like this to make the appropriate changes. Come next season if UK is top seed in the tournament, most of the fans will be happy with Cal.
    They haven't been a #1 seed since 2015. That's a long drought if you're UK. How long does this drought have to go on before fans say "enough"?

I am thinking Scott Drew may be ready for a change and new challenge. He has taken Baylor about as far as they can go. Which is to the top with a national championship. He may want the challenge of a blue blood program.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am thinking Scott Drew may be ready for a change and new challenge. He has taken Baylor about as far as they can go. Which is to the top with a national championship. He may want the challenge of a blue blood program.
    I saw on Facebook (I know, terrible source) that he supposedly said he wasn't interested in the UK job because fans booing and leaving games early. Also he said he'd rather stay at Baylor.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I saw on Facebook (I know, terrible source) that he supposedly said he wasn't interested in the UK job because fans booing and leaving games early. Also he said he'd rather stay at Baylor.
    That was Louisville. And it was because of how they treated Kenny Payne.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They all say they aren't interested at first. Fans didn't used to leave early. I haven't paid attention to that lately and booing is common everywhere. Since the players are pros now and getting paid you can expect more of it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-26-2024)

They gave him millions of dollars to be the worst coach in NCAA history. Isaiah Thomas thinks Payne is a bad coach. How SHOULD Louisville have treated Payne. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They gave him millions of dollars to be the worst coach in NCAA history. Isaiah Thomas thinks Payne is a bad coach. How SHOULD Louisville have treated Payne. Lol
    Didn't say I blamed them, just said Scott Drew saw how Louisville fans treated him and wanted no part of it.

I liked Kenny Payne and liked that he brought civility to the rivalry but his tenure was based on landing DJ Wagner and to a lesser extent Karter Knox and he failed at both.

Of course there was civility. Kenny got murdered and smiled all the way through it.

I imagine MOST Kentucky fans like Kenny! A LOT!

And if he had nabbed DJ Wagner, Louisville would have won 11 games this year instead of 8. He failed at a lot more than that!

Unless I missed it, I don't see anything to suggest Scott Drew actually said anything that's mentioned in that image as to the supposed reasons he turned the Louisville job down.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unless I missed it, I don't see anything to suggest Scott Drew actually said anything that's mentioned in that image as to the supposed reasons he turned the Louisville job down.
    I think tgst all started from a fam twitter account making up stuff.

Drew’s overall record is pretty mediocre with one outlier.

In recent years,

Scott Drew last 10 seasons:
    24: Round of 32
    23: Round of 32
    22: Round of 32
    21: National Championship
    19: Round of 32
    18: Missed tournament
    17: Sweet 16
    16: First round
    15: First round
    14: Sweet 16

I also saw: Scott Drew has 6 first weekend exits at Baylor and has missed the tournament 8 times in his 20 years at Baylor.

1 National Championship and Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think tgst all started from a fam twitter account making up stuff.

Drew’s overall record is pretty mediocre with one outlier.

In recent years,

Scott Drew last 10 seasons:
    24: Round of 32
    23: Round of 32
    22: Round of 32
    21: National Championship
    19: Round of 32
    18: Missed tournament
    17: Sweet 16
    16: First round
    15: First round
    14: Sweet 16

I also saw: Scott Drew has 6 first weekend exits at Baylor and has missed the tournament 8 times in his 20 years at Baylor.

1 National Championship and Final Four.
    How do you consider the fact he is doing this at Baylor. If you change the National Championship to just a final four appearance that record looks a lot like Huggins at UC.

18. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-26-2024)

Cal did his end of year call in show with Tom Leach last night and is acting like he is coming back. Is meeting with Barnhart today.

Said he isn't going to push players out the door and is wanting to get more physical. With NIL he could get kids to stay longer because they would be financially taken care of.

Turn Off Ads?