Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets Want Alexis Diaz, The Reds’ Price Is High

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Mets Want Alexis Diaz, The Reds’ Price Is High

I also missed that the Mets lost their Díaz in a WBC celebration injury, for the whole season no less. Brutal man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    So the Heyman part didn't interest you, huh?
    Why would the Reds trade their closer to the Mets for a prospect? Well, who knows?
    Heyman knows the Mets need a closer and the name "Diaz" is easy to remember, so he click-baits the NY Post readers and all of a sudden, the baseball world is saying, "wow, the Mets could trade for the other Diaz!"
    Seriously, this ain't about talent. It's about how gullible the fans are to keep following Heyman, who made a career out of inventing trades and "executives."
    Did he steal your lunch out of the break room or something?

4. Likes:

membengal (03-28-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Yeah, maybe. I just have followed this guy's gig for about 20 years and he's done this fairly often.
    He's a roster gleaner looking for relevancy. He's a pretty smart baseball guy when he sticks to specifics.
    I just never liked the "rumors" approach that the national scribes have promoted, realizing that baseball has always done this. Dunno ... I just roll my eyes at this sort of topic when it happens in the fashion that it did. I mean, a team like the Reds who have stated they are building from within and finally have a pretty good reliever in Diaz, suddenly being in "talks" with the Mets ... it's just too phony to be real.
    Heyman can exist on his own terms, for what that's worth.

Good on the club for holding firm, if you aren’t going to get legitimate value for him I don’t see the point of shipping him out.

Seems like a New York media “we need a reliever” and then assume the Reds are obligated to help out for cheap.

7. Likes:

j.u.FAIRFIIELD (03-27-2023)

How about a slobberknocker to make things interesting:

Reds get:
    Baty
    Peterson

Mets get:
    Diaz
    Antone
    Williamson

Who says no????

Aristocratic Hoosier

The only fears I have with the Reds trading pitchers is that one or more of them will end up in St. Louis and finish immediately in the top 3 in the Cy Young voting. So never trade a pitcher, even if it's Kevius Sampson. Eventually they will join the Cardinals rotation and end up in the freakin' playoffs. Tyler Mahle is licking his chops right now waiting for the Twins to need a "Single A prospect".

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Reds get:
    Baty
    Peterson

Mets get:
    Diaz
    Antone
    Williamson

Who says no????
    Mets
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

757690 (03-27-2023),CySeymour (03-27-2023),NebraskaRed (03-27-2023),Sea Ray (03-27-2023)

Reds get:
    Baty
    Peterson

Mets get:
    Diaz
    Antone
    Williamson

Who says no????
    The Mets

Reds get:
    Baty
    Peterson

Mets get:
    Diaz
    Antone
    Williamson

Who says no????
    Actually seems pretty fair, but I’m not too interested in selling low on Williamson. I do like Peterson as a target. What about dropping the Baty demand and trying for Peterson + Vientos for Diaz and a lower-level player?

14. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    So the Heyman part didn't interest you, huh?
    Why would the Reds trade their closer to the Mets for a prospect? Well, who knows?
    Heyman knows the Mets need a closer and the name "Diaz" is easy to remember, so he click-baits the NY Post readers and all of a sudden, the baseball world is saying, "wow, the Mets could trade for the other Diaz!"
    Seriously, this ain't about talent. It's about how gullible the fans are to keep following Heyman, who made a career out of inventing trades and "executives."
    Because if you are going to win 65 games you don't need a closer.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Bingo. I saw Baty hit this spring. Line drive machine. Go for it.

Diaz and Roa for Baty and a semi-decent middle reliever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-27-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Aristocratic Hoosier

When the following year comes and you actually are winning 85 games, do they send said closer back to you, or do you see if you can find a different one?

19. Likes:

Puffy (04-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Actually seems pretty fair, but I’m not too interested in selling low on Williamson. I do like Peterson as a target. What about dropping the Baty demand and trying for Peterson + Vientos for Diaz and a lower-level player?
    It’s sort of hard to say no to that, but ideally I want like a top 50 guy for Díaz. If that were too rich for the Mets blood, I would probably just pare it back down to Diaz for Baty straight up and sign a MOR guy in the offseason.

They obviously suck now, but honestly I do think they could be competitive starting in the next year or two once Elly and the rest of the prospect crew start making their way up. At which point you would want a closer of Diaz’s tier.

It would require the Reds to spend a modest amount of money on the aforementioned middle of the rotation starter and probably a veteran bat for somewhere in the lineup, and a middle innings guy or two. But maybe that’s theoretically possible, given that they spent on guys like Pham and Minor in the last year even after the organizational meltdown started.

I think Parada and Alex Ramirez are pretty good headliner candidates, but I would stick with asking for Batty. I would be willing to add a prospect from outside our top 10 to get the deal done. I want the Reds to prioritize near MLB ready prospects if Diaz is traded. Batty is a guy I could see hitting second or third in an MLB lineup as early as next year.

23. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-27-2023)

Turn Off Ads?