Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets Want Alexis Diaz, The Reds’ Price Is High

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Mets Want Alexis Diaz, The Reds’ Price Is High

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mets
    You can get it within a few points on BTV for the record, if you add Stewart and our comp balance pick to it and really make it a fantasy baseball trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't want the Reds to trade Diaz, but stepping back and looking at this objectively, this would be the moment when Diaz's value might be at its peak.

Ask for a lot and see what happens. The Mets (or someone) just may go for it.

4. Likes:

Chip R (03-27-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Perhaps I am imagining this but it seems there is an encroaching narrative that relievers are usually overvalued and that spending a lot of money on them is a poor investment, all the while attached to the commentary that ... let's upgrade the bullpen. Then we decide that we'd better unload this guy while his value is still higher than it should be.
    Mariano Rivera, Craig Kimbrell, Josh Hader.
    I think the Reds could swap out Diaz to any team in the league, not just one ostensibly as desperate as the Mets. Still, while Diaz is far from Rivera territory, I think the franchise can bolster its farm system without selling off its potential assets this quickly. The concrete on this rebuild hasn't been poured yet so there is no reason to wait for it to dry.
    Will Myers is going to net them a Double A pitcher in July. The 100 losses guarantees a good look at the draft. Let Heyman invent a trade between the Mets and the Orioles.
    Last edited by j.u.FAIRFIIELD; 03-27-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I don't want the Reds to trade Diaz, but stepping back and looking at this objectively, this would be the moment when Diaz's value might be at its peak.

Ask for a lot and see what happens. The Mets (or someone) just may go for it.
    They did give us two nice looking young players for two months of Tyler Naquin.

For me, it’s all about the return. I’m not for or against moving Díaz. If the right deal comes along, make it happen.

7. Likes:

JCM11 (03-27-2023),mth123 (03-27-2023),Revering4Blue (03-28-2023),UKFlounder (03-27-2023)

Diaz, throughout his professional career has been 3 things: Low HR/9, Insane K/9, very high BB/9.

But until 2021 he was also nearly a hit per inning guy too then at AA it dropped to 6.4 H/9 and in 2022 at the MLB level 4.0 H/9.

So either we believe that he now has an uncanny ability to prevent hits, something MLB wants more of with the shift ending, or we believe he'll go back to about 7+ H/9. The latter seems likely.

I like watching the guy pitch, but if the Reds can take advantage of a team's desperation, they absolutely should do that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

OGB (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    When the following year comes and you actually are winning 85 games, do they send said closer back to you, or do you see if you can find a different one?
    Closer can be extremely volatile on a year to year basis let alone counting on the Reds to put together a contender in 2-3 years and who knows what he will look like at that point. I'd almost always be willing to sell high on a closer unless you have a dominate one on a serious WS contender.

11. Likes:

mth123 (03-27-2023),Ron Madden (03-27-2023)

Let's see what happens if the Mets start blowing late inning leads. They are the ones under pressure to win big this year, not the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-27-2023),OGB (03-27-2023),Revering4Blue (03-28-2023),Ron Madden (03-27-2023),TRF (03-27-2023),Wonderful Monds (03-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Let's see what happens if the Mets start blowing late inning leads. They are the ones under pressure to win big this year, not the Reds.
    Right now they want Diaz for two reasons: to replace their guy and to team with their guy next year. So the Mets are ignoring all other store to shop at one specific Pony Keg. I agree, keep the price high. but if they offer enough within the next few days, pounce.

I have zero problems with the returns over the last 2 seasons. Not every trade is injury free, but the mindset, the targeting has been really good.

At some point the Reds need to start adding major league talent instead of getting rid of it.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (03-27-2023),Roy Tucker (03-28-2023),Sea Ray (03-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    At some point the Reds need to start adding major league talent instead of getting rid of it.
    I'm ok with acquiring talent and promoting it. Once you have a big enough pipeline, you can sustain that model for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Diaz, throughout his professional career has been 3 things: Low HR/9, Insane K/9, very high BB/9.

But until 2021 he was also nearly a hit per inning guy too then at AA it dropped to 6.4 H/9 and in 2022 at the MLB level 4.0 H/9.

So either we believe that he now has an uncanny ability to prevent hits, something MLB wants more of with the shift ending, or we believe he'll go back to about 7+ H/9. The latter seems likely.

I like watching the guy pitch, but if the Reds can take advantage of a team's desperation, they absolutely should do that.
    Didn’t he add significant velo last off-season? I don’t think he’s a simple, “back of the baseball card” guy.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Didn’t he add significant velo last off-season? I don’t think he’s a simple, “back of the baseball card” guy.
    yeah sometimes guys just make the jump. That’s why I’m fairly optimistic about him, because as good as he was last year, it was basically the beginning of his upward trajectory because he basically came out of nowhere. As in, he was that good while still learning basically. I think he’ll learn how to get some of the peripheral issues under control with more experience.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm ok with acquiring talent and promoting it. Once you have a big enough pipeline, you can sustain that model for a long time.
    So far the pipeline is stretching almost into Kentucky. But yeah, no reason to just get a lot of talented players if you don't plan to use them as currency to upgrade. Having 4 or 5 quality infield prospects is great, provided a couple of them can actually hit. Pitching is a transitive strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    So the Heyman part didn't interest you, huh?
    Why would the Reds trade their closer to the Mets for a prospect? Well, who knows?
    Heyman knows the Mets need a closer and the name "Diaz" is easy to remember, so he click-baits the NY Post readers and all of a sudden, the baseball world is saying, "wow, the Mets could trade for the other Diaz!"
    Seriously, this ain't about talent. It's about how gullible the fans are to keep following Heyman, who made a career out of inventing trades and "executives."
    I don't disagree with you that this story might be made up.
    That said, if Krall gets an offer he likes , Diaz is gone, and it's not going to be a massive overpay. I'm not saying the Reds are guaranteed to be ripped off, but Diaz is a great target for the Mets.
    Reds have no interest in winning in the short term (probably not long term either).. Diaz will probably price himself out of town before the Reds play 500 ball again.
    After this season, Diaz will have accumulated 2 years of service time.. He had a 3 WAR last year, if he puts up another 3 WAR year this season, the Reds are not going to pay him arbitration money in 2025.
    The timer is already ticking.

Look at all the moves the Reds have made in the last 2 years.
    Krall probably wants a good prospect(s) in AA or AAA..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Very legit point here. Still, if you can get high value advanced prospect(s) for a closer you do it - at this rebuilding stage.

Turn Off Ads?