Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Players, Manager & Coaches Are Trying To Win

Aristocratic Hoosier

Re: Reds Players, Manager & Coaches Are Trying To Win

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    They should put their money where their mouth is. Enough with the laziness and lack of accountability. Bench the guys who aren't busting their tails, put in lesser players if you have to if those guys are willing to give hundred percent. Do the small things.
    This implies what I used to call a barstool analysis of baseball. The ongoing was "bring up the minor leaguers. They can't do no worse."
    Big league ballplayers are NOT LAZY. They work harder on their off day than most people do in a week of hard labor. If you think "lesser" players will perform better because they allegedly try harder, seriously ... the oldest and slowest big leaguer you ever heard of will leave you in the dust halfway around the outfield.
    The small things are what got these men to the top .0002 percent of all professional athletes.

Just don't.

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-30-2023),Chip R (04-05-2023),Ron Madden (03-30-2023),Roy Tucker (04-04-2023),SteelSD (04-04-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds are a better team than they were last year at this time.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-01-2023),Ron Madden (03-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Give this young Reds team a chance. You might like what you see
    story continues here:
    https://www.wvxu.org/sports/2023-03-...ds-team-chance
    Hope he’s right. There’s definitely some intriguing talent on the team, but don’t see them all hitting like he thinks they will.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-29-2023),Ron Madden (03-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    This implies what I used to call a barstool analysis of baseball. The ongoing was "bring up the minor leaguers. They can't do no worse."
    Big league ballplayers are NOT LAZY. They work harder on their off day than most people do in a week of hard labor. If you think "lesser" players will perform better because they allegedly try harder, seriously ... the oldest and slowest big leaguer you ever heard of will leave you in the dust halfway around the outfield.
    The small things are what got these men to the top .0002 percent of all professional athletes.

Just don't.
    The small things I'm talking about are what we've seen some starting guys on the big league roster unwilling to do. It's been covered ad nausum. Being able to do the small things in order to get to the big leagues, and being willing to do them at the big league level, are two completely different things.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    From the article above -- Seems the players, manager and coaches are trying to win in spite of Phil Castellini
    Name:  majorleagueoriginal_crop_exact.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  90.9 KB

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-30-2023),Ron Madden (03-30-2023)

It’s the small things that seem different this spring training.

Yes, we have seen the annual dumpster diving this past offseason, but it seems to me that the dumpsters are in a “nicer part of town.” The junk brought in might actually have some minimal value. I was also surprised that the has-beens of Strickland and Pinter were cut in spring training, when the typical Reds way in previous seasons would have been to keep those two over younger, higher ceiling guys. I can’t emphasize enough how different that is from what we have seen in recent years.

And, despite the fact that Spring Training performances may not mean a whole lot, these guys really didn’t look as clueless this year as they have in recent spring trainings. It’s easy to dismiss spring training games by saying that “everybody is working on things” but in recent spring trainings, the Reds have looked extremely bad against opponents who supposedly were “working on stuff.” But this year, these guys actually didn’t look over-matched or didn’t look like a baseball version of the Keystone Cops out there.

The standings may not be kind to this team in 2023, but they will be a whole lot more interesting to watch, and a whole lot more fun to follow.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-03-2023)

Peak optimism for Reds fans?

A few hours before the first pitch on Opening Day.

Soak it all in!
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

14. Likes:

Kinsm (03-30-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    The small things I'm talking about are what we've seen some starting guys on the big league roster unwilling to do. It's been covered ad nausum. Being able to do the small things in order to get to the big leagues, and being willing to do them at the big league level, are two completely different things.
    What exactly have they been unwilling to do? Hit a 104 fastball around their hands, or the 1-2 slider that breaks 18 inches? Bunt? You are continuing to promote a phony story that big league players, after they get there, are just hanging around waiting for the check to clear the accountant's office. These guys run steps on their days off and they watch film, they stretch and they take reps in the outfield and run bases. They put in long days when they have games and they spend half their lives living out of a suitcase. Seriously, what exactly are they not doing? Whatever 'ad nauseum' has been supplied is by people who still think that minor leaguers can win a World Series just because they want to try harder.

What exactly have you actually SEEN them "unwilling" to do?

16. Likes:

OGB (03-30-2023),Ron Madden (03-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Phil Castellini is the new Rachel Phelps
    The clubhouse has a cardboard cut out of Phil naked. Each win they get a piece to cover him up.

18. Likes:

bm1475 (03-30-2023),Ron Madden (03-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It’s the small things that seem different this spring training.

Yes, we have seen the annual dumpster diving this past offseason, but it seems to me that the dumpsters are in a “nicer part of town.” The junk brought in might actually have some minimal value. I was also surprised that the has-beens of Strickland and Pinter were cut in spring training, when the typical Reds way in previous seasons would have been to keep those two over younger, higher ceiling guys. I can’t emphasize enough how different that is from what we have seen in recent years.

And, despite the fact that Spring Training performances may not mean a whole lot, these guys really didn’t look as clueless this year as they have in recent spring trainings. It’s easy to dismiss spring training games by saying that “everybody is working on things” but in recent spring trainings, the Reds have looked extremely bad against opponents who supposedly were “working on stuff.” But this year, these guys actually didn’t look over-matched or didn’t look like a baseball version of the Keystone Cops out there.

The standings may not be kind to this team in 2023, but they will be a whole lot more interesting to watch, and a whole lot more fun to follow.
    We found tickets for all 2023 Reds home games. Some are only $6.

Not to jinx things, but David Bell’s Cincinnati Reds are off to a promising start to the 2023 season.

After taking two of three from the Pittsburgh Pirates, the team is above .500 for the first time since April 7, 2022 after they won on opening day last season.

Based on the stellar outings from starting pitchers Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft as well as position players Jason Vosler, Jonathan India and Jake Fraley, the team may be able to stay above .500 for a while longer.

And if you want to root on the upstart Reds at home this season, you can for reasonable prices these next few months.

At the time of publication, we found some tickets going for as low as $6 before fees on Vivid Seats.

https://nypost.com/article/cincinnat...ices-schedule/

20. Likes:

goreds2 (04-03-2023)

Will Benson got his chance without having to be even pinch-hit for.

He needs to sit now for a couple of games and let someone else have some consistent playing time to see if they can't help the team win some games.

Do not ride this horse to death trying to "get him going" taking the rest of the team down with him.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Talent will trump focus over a 162 game season.
    To a degree, yes. There are gaps in talent that just can’t be made up over 162 games. But it’s proven year in and year out the most “talented” mlb teams don’t have a guaranteed route to the title, or even a run in the playoffs.

That being said, if this reds team got close to 80 wins it would be amazing.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-04-2023),Ron Madden (04-05-2023)

Bell just looks lost managing the 3 batter minimum for relievers, among other things. No doubt that he’s trying….but, not inspired that he’s going to out manage anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Bell just looks lost managing the 3 batter minimum for relievers, among other things. No doubt that he’s trying….but, not inspired that he’s going to out manage anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bullpen is the problem, not Bell

26. Likes:

Chip R (04-05-2023),mth123 (04-05-2023),Ron Madden (04-05-2023),Roy Tucker (04-05-2023),wlf WV (04-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The bullpen is the problem, not Bell
    Yeah. I mean Bell had managed the bullpen to great results until tonight. Which is impressive considering there is one good options.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

28. Likes:

Chip R (04-05-2023)

Turn Off Ads?