Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How are the Reds really better in 2023 than in 2022?

Re: How are the Reds really better in 2023 than in 2022?

Last season I was told if we could just get rid of Moose the Reds would be a better team.

At one time or another the same things were said about Aquino, Mike Minor, Jeff Hoffman and Hunter Strickland.

Those guys are gone.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-01-2023 at 03:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Last season I was told if we could just get rid of Moose the Reds would be a better team.

At one time or another the same things were said about Aquino, Mike Minor, Jeff Hoffman and Hunter Strickland.

Those guys are gone.
    Addition by subtraction is real, but it only works if you replace the players subtracted with somebody who isn't equally as bad. Getting rid of Mike Minor and Jeff Hoffman doesn't accomplish anything if you simply replace them with career minor leaguers like Connor Overton (age 30) and Fernando Cruz (age 33). There is a reason guys like that are in the minors at those ages. I'd rather have Hoffman and Minor actually (well maybe not Minor).
    Last edited by mth123; 04-01-2023 at 07:07 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-01-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Addition by subtraction is real, but it only works if you replace the players subtracted with somebody who isn't equally as bad. Getting rid of Mike Minor and Jeff Hoffman doesn't accomplish anything if you simply replace them with career minor leaguers like Connor Overton (age 30) and Fernando Cruz (age 33). There is a reason guys like that are in the minors at those ages. I'd rather have Hoffman and Minor actually (well maybe not Minor).
    You'd take Minor if he had half a season left in him rather than the last half of one where he probably was never healthy enough to pitch. I don't know if I would say anything other than that about Hoffman. His role in the right roster might net you a win or two. On that staff, he's just a rotting log.
    Cruz seems like a guy who's holding a roster spot while the FO waits for the Mariners to call and tell them they have this 23-year-old lefty they can't use. Frankly, I'd use that roster spot as an ongoing audition for hitless position players who want to transition into pitching.
    The Reds don't have the depth to have filler players on the roster but the hunger for bringing them up is for the fans, not the people who manage their salaries. And to be fair, if you aren't going to actually use CES other than an occasional bench bat, he's better off in Batland.

I see the Reds this year as being a faster, more aggressive team on the basepaths. With the pitch count, bigger bases, faster players on the team, and the guidance of Will Myers will all help to put pressure on the opposing pitcher.
    The Stop And Chat

27 games into the 2023 MLB season, and the Cincinnati Reds have already shown that, while they are still several evolutions away from contention, they are surely going to be better than last year.

At this same stage last season, the Reds were fully bottoming out with a 4-23 record, having just lost 20 of 21 games in a historically bad start and already 15 games back in the division. They could neither hit nor throw, and were being rolled over nightly by a cobbled-together hodgepodge of pitchers (38 in total on the season, albeit including three position players) who were getting shellacked nightly.

Moreover, those players used to paper over the cracks were, by and large, veterans and retreads, not the kind of young arms that could provide some glimmer of hope to offset all the losing. The losses were often not productive losses, but mere filler, as the team hoped to run out the clock on the season.

Thus far this year, though, the Reds are an improved 12-15, with some obvious bright spots. It is not a night-and-day comparison, and another postseason-free year will inevitably follow, yet some pieces for the medium term are starting to come together. Most notably, the top of both the rotation and the line-up are filled with players young enough to be considered pieces of the future, who are also producing in the present.

As measured by Fangraph's Stuff+ metric, Greene and Ashcraft have the fourth- and fifth-best pitching arsenals in the whole of baseball, behind only Jacob DeGrom, Shohei Ohtani and Spencer Strider. Elite company indeed.

The third quality starter, Nick Lodolo, has a high ERA thus far tarnished by a leaky home run rate, and the back end of the rotation has taken a towelling, but a better-than-expected bullpen has seen the Reds improve to a 4.90 team ERA so far in 2023.

Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markdee...h=5a0d77c6172f

8. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-30-2023),Tony Cloninger (04-30-2023)

About 30 games in the Reds have 8 pitchers above ERA+ 100. 4 hitters are above 100 OPS+.
    In 2022, they had 6 pitchers above ERA+ 100. 1 hitter finished above 100 OPS+.
    If the Reds can continue at about a .430 record, they can hit 70 wins.
    So, I guess statistically things look better.
    Last edited by fondfoat; 05-01-2023 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo

'That’s what good teams do': The 2023 Reds are taking steps forward
    David Bell believes that a young team needs to learn how to win, and the Reds are starting to string those experiences together. Saturday’s 8-5 win at Wrigley Field was an emotional, meaningful win in the clubhouse. Senzel called the comeback another sign of the direction that the rebuilding Reds are trending toward.

When the Cincinnati Reds fell behind by three runs early in the game on Saturday night against the Chicago Cubs, Reds manager David Bell huddled together with a few Reds’ players who were standing near him.

Bell stressed that if the Reds could keep the deficit at three runs, then the Reds would chip away and get the comeback win.

Reds third baseman Nick Senzel thought back to the other comebacks that the Reds have made in 2023. He nodded along with his manager, confident that the Reds were going to break through against Cubs starter Jameson Taillon.

“That’s what good teams do,” Senzel said. “They chip away and add on. Our team is learning how to do that. We will do that. It’s fun to be a part of.”

Just like they did in Saturday’s game, the Reds have been slowly chipping away at a big deficit for two years. After they traded Sonny Gray, Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suárez last March, the Reds’ 2022 season was over before it started.

Rebuilding from scratch is a long process, but the Reds had pillars in place like Jonathan India, Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo and Tyler Stephenson. Now, the Reds’ young core is led by a group of players who grew from last year’s failures.
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...rd/ar-AA1bNA7N

They are better than last year because a fair amount of chaff has been replaced by youth.

I give credit to Reds ownership for that, even if they did so for the wrong reason.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

The Reds are in a better place mentally as a collective. This year's squad is showing to be much more of a "team" than anything I've seen in several years. The "system" is much better. Surprisingly better in fact.

13. Likes:

0-2 Count (05-29-2023),lollipopcurve (05-28-2023),Ron Madden (05-28-2023)

'That’s what good teams do': The 2023 Reds are taking steps forward
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...rd/ar-AA1bNA7N

McLain has joined the MLB roster and thrived since making his MLB debut two weeks ago. Prospects Elly De La Cruz, Christian Encarnacion-Strand and Andrew Abbott are getting closer and closer to getting called up to MLB.

“We have the right group,” Senzel said. “If we keep going, I know what this team is capable of and how much talent we have. We’ll get some more help. It’s going to be a pretty fun year. We’ve got some talent here, man.”

Man, I love the type of baseball I've seen out the Reds this weekend(I don't have MLB or live in the Reds area so haven't seen many games this season). Just a bunch of guys that get the bat on the ball and work the pitcher. Save the home run to be something that extends your lead rather than waiting on it to get a lead or catch-up from a deficit. Seems like almost every inning it feels the chance for a run or two. Keeping the opposing pitchers off balance with foul offs and disruptive base running. Love McLain at the toward top of batting order with India.

Keep these type of hitters coming and work like crazy to build the best pitching staff possible should amount to some fun baseball and who knows what else?

Strikeouts, walks and home runs ONLY, are not fun to watch, this kind of baseball is.

16. Likes:

JCM11 (05-28-2023),Old school 1983 (05-28-2023)

Those guys are gone.
    At this point, the team is way better. Get another starter, shore up the bullpen a tad, and there's a chance the team could have a winning record at season's end. Everyone of those guys the Reds jettisoned were awful, and still are. Good riddance.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by oldfashionedred View Post
    at this point, the team is way better. get another starter, shore up the bullpen a tad, and there's a chance the team could have a winning record at season's end. Everyone of those guys the reds jettisoned were awful, and still are. Good riddance.
    bolded ... This!!!
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

At this point I’d be calling up EDLC and CES, sending Barrero and Benson down, and telling Newman to get an outfielders glove and shag some balls because he’s now the emergency left fielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

20. Likes:

membengal (05-28-2023),Ron Madden (05-28-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    58m

Graham Ashcraft:
    “The camaraderie we have in this clubhouse is unmatched.
    There are a lot of great things coming. There’s a lot more to come with guys (in the minors) tearing it up. There’s a lot of season left.”

22. Likes:

0-2 Count (05-29-2023),goreds2 (05-28-2023),Old school 1983 (05-28-2023)

Turn Off Ads?