Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-sedation colonoscopy

Non-sedation colonoscopy

Anyone here had a colonoscopy without sedation? Apparently this is the most common procedure outside the US with minimal discomfort. Benefits: you don't have to drag someone to come with you and can get up and go as soon as it is over, can communicate with the doctor during the procedure, no IV and cheaper since there is no anesthesiologist.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Non-sedation colonoscopy

No, no, no

Not gonna try that either

I'm sure the hell ain't gonna talk to him during it either

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-29-2023),goreds2 (03-28-2023),RFS62 (04-03-2023),SunDeck (03-31-2023),Tommyjohn25 (04-11-2023),Wayne Krivsky (03-29-2023)

They call me "chef"

For me, it’d depend on what channels the monitor gets.

That sounds like something the loser of a drunken bet made on a golf course has to do.

(Double or nothing: follow it up with a no anesthesia vasectomy.)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    Anyone here had a colonoscopy without sedation? Apparently this is the most common procedure outside the US with minimal discomfort. Benefits: you don't have to drag someone to come with you and can get up and go as soon as it is over, can communicate with the doctor during the procedure, no IV and cheaper since there is no anesthesiologist.
    Never heard of such a thing. There's a reason for the sedation

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Never heard of such a thing. There's a reason for the sedation
    I know many people who refuse to take drugs for surgeries, if it's a possible procedure.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I am getting my first on May 1st and have looked into the non-sedation version as I don’t like being put under. I was told the anesthesiologist will call me a week or so before the procedure and I plan on asking about this as I have read the same thing about it being common outside the US.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, no, no

I agree. I would never do this. Now if they could do this without the prep the night before I would be all for that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

SunDeck (05-04-2023),TeamCasey (04-05-2023)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I just did the Cologuard home test last week. Fairly simple.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-18-2023),KoryMac5 (03-29-2023)

For all of the nay sayers is the fear more psychological/Freudian (watched too many episodes of OZ) the same fear which can also include not wanting a doctor to do a DRE or is it -it JUST HAS to hurt like hell physical fear?
    I am suppose to schedule mine this Spring and it will be my 4th/5th-have a family history of colon cancer. My first one was a flexable sigmoidoscopy (about 25 years ago) and it was done without sedation and I remember a cramping feeling but no pain. To me the main advantage of non-sedation
    is it is faster and you don't have to bring someone with you as most places want someone there the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, no, no

No need to worry, you'll be fading in and out as he does the same

- - - Updated - - -

No way on Earth would I do something like that without first being out-cold. It's just too private a matter for me.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

I just went under for a different procedure and two days after I definitely had some DTs from the anesthesia drugs leaving my system. So if there's a way to get a procedure without it, even THAT procedure, I'd be open to the idea.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

My colonoscopy is in a week and a half, talking to the anesthesiologist office tomorrow. I don’t want to go under, going to ask what my options are. I’ll report back.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

My test results came back negative today.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-25-2023),cumberlandreds (04-20-2023),goreds2 (04-21-2023),plantmanky (04-21-2023),RedTeamGo! (04-20-2023),Sea Ray (04-21-2023)

I've never had one so I can't speak to the discomfort level either way, but non-sedation colonoscopies are pretty common in Europe. Then again, non-novacaine dentistry was pretty common not too long ago (and I can definitely speak to that discomfort), so I think the doctors are more likely to avoid "unnecessary" procedures when possible. Of course, what is necessary is in the eye of the beholder.

Turn Off Ads?