Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

If Cessa gets lit up again today maybe the Reds finally turn to old friend (and RTG's boy) Ben Lively to finally make his Reds debut in the next turn. He had another good start for Louisville today. Probably not a huge difference between him and Chase Anderson at this point, at least until Anderson wins his Cy Young with Tampa.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (05-03-2023),Kingspoint (05-04-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If Cessa gets lit up again today maybe the Reds finally turn to old friend (and RTG's boy) Ben Lively to finally make his Reds debut in the next turn. He had another good start for Louisville today. Probably not a huge difference between him and Chase Anderson at this point, at least until Anderson wins his Cy Young with Tampa.
    I saw my dude’s ERA earlier and had same thought.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Anderson moving on makes room for Herget in the AAA rotation permanently. I think this was a case of the reds having a logjam of minor league vets and want to ensure the innings are there for the kids and the Rays having a need because of an injury and this was a convenient solution for both teams. I wouldn't read anything more into it.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Chase Anderson had an opt-out clause in his minor league contract Monday.

7. Likes:

mth123 (05-04-2023)

It’s time to call up McLain and CES.

McLain is absolutely destroying AAA. Hit for the cycle tonight.

CES is simply a major league hitter playing AAA. He is batting over .400 with a 1.400 OPS and looks like an adult playing with children.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-05-2023),goreds2 (05-05-2023),JCM11 (05-04-2023),LeatherPants (05-05-2023),RichRed (05-05-2023),Sea Ray (05-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

CES is simply a major league hitter playing AAA. He is batting over .400 with a 1.400 OPS and looks like an adult playing with children.
    New nickname for CES?- Kelly Leak
    The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

If they don’t bring them up soon, they are clearly trying to save future money by getting past the super two date. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    If they don’t bring them up soon, they are clearly trying to save future money by getting past the super two date. Very annoying.
    They would have to wait until around the end of July to be certain to avoid super 2 status for anyone called up, so I doubt that the case here. If they wait that long, and those 2 keep dominating, then yes, that likely is the reason, but I can’t see that happening.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I’m glad McLain and CES got off so well at AAA. But that doesn’t mean Reds should shortcut their AAA stints and bring them up now.

Offensively, as the AAA pitchers adjust to them, these hitters will themselves need to adjust. That’s a necessary step in development. Further, CES is learning first base and McLain is playing a lot of second. It’s worth giving them the opportunity to gain some experience at these positions before MLB.

My mindset has been that this year (and probably next) are developmental and transitional. Reds are proceeding that way. While I’m unhappy about the current rebuilding situation, at least they are going about it properly.

15. Likes:

Kinsm (05-05-2023),lollipopcurve (05-05-2023),RED VAN HOT (05-05-2023),Revering4Blue (05-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They would have to wait until around the end of July to be certain to avoid super 2 status for anyone called up, so I doubt that the case here. If they wait that long, and those 2 keep dominating, then yes, that likely is the reason, but I can’t see that happening.
    The super two date should be sometime in June, not July, so if they are trying to avoid Super two, they’d probably wait until the beginning of July not the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The trade deadline is August 1. My guess is we’ll see a changeover in the Reds team in the weeks leading to that date. Not only will there be call ups, but there will be departures to “make room.”

It’s possible that McLain, who’s been healthy and active all season, could force the issue a bit sooner. Injuries could also force the issue sooner.

While there may be Super Two benefits, this timing makes sense in terms of player development too, as I noted in my previous post.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-05-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m glad McLain and CES got off so well at AAA. But that doesn’t mean Reds should shortcut their AAA stints and bring them up now.

Offensively, as the AAA pitchers adjust to them, these hitters will themselves need to adjust. That’s a necessary step in development. Further, CES is learning first base and McLain is playing a lot of second. It’s worth giving them the opportunity to gain some experience at these positions before MLB.

My mindset has been that this year (and probably next) are developmental and transitional. Reds are proceeding that way. While I’m unhappy about the current rebuilding situation, at least they are going about it properly.
    I kind of agree. Selfishly, I'd like to see them up soon to make the Reds games more interesting, but its not going to hurt the contention window to let them stay down there another month or two. Newman and Myers aren't going anywhere until July and guys like Fairchild, Senzel and Ramos are performing right now. Unless the Reds are willing to cut back to 2 catchers to make a spot there isn't an urgency. The Reds could use more pop immediately, but this year's record doesn't really matter, the long-term is what is important here.

With that in mind, I'm not bothered much by Barrero getting an extended look. I think his future role is likely to be "versatile" IF/OF bench player, but it wasn't long ago that he was the team's top position prospect. It looks like he might be a bust both offensively and defensively, but he's had less that 400 big league PAs in his career and just turned 25 a month ago. The other guy on the bubble could very well be Spencer Steer. If CES plays 1B and McLain plays second (with India shifting to third) or Mclain or CES play 3B themselves. Steer is another guy we need to find out about. He's been up and down, but I'm not ready to relegate him to reserve duty.

If the Reds brought CES and McLain up tomorrow, I'd be thrilled, but if they don't, I think there are sound reasons behind waiting that don't involve playing games with Super 2 status.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

19. Likes:

Kc61 (05-05-2023),Revering4Blue (05-07-2023)

I'd call up CES McClain and Abbott at the same time around June 1st

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

People keep saying CES needs to learn first base, but I noticed yesterday CES played third.

The Super 2 date should be cleared by the end of May. Looking at the past dozen years, the lowest threshold was 2 years 115 days. If that held this year they would be clear of that May 31. An early June callup wouldn't be out of the question.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Super 2 date should be cleared by the end of May. Looking at the past dozen years, the lowest threshold was 2 years 115 days. If that held this year they would be clear of that May 31. An early June callup wouldn't be out of the question.
    115 days would be June 8th, if my counting was correct. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

But teams like to wait a bit just to be sure. LeatherPants is correct that most teams wait until July now. Basically, if every team guesses when the right date is, it moves it back since it’s based on the top 22% of the players from that season. That is what happened with Jay Bruce. The Reds calculated it would be the end of May, but so did every other team, so Bruce got super 2 status.

Anyway, it’s at least a month away.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?