Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    People keep saying CES needs to learn first base, but I noticed yesterday CES played third.
    That’s exactly why some time at first in the minors is wise. Because he was primarily a third baseman.

2. Turn Off Ads?

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Reds make the Chase Anderson trade official. They receive cash in exchange for Anderson.

Anderson had an out coming up in his contract and was likely to exercise it. This is basically getting something instead of him walking for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The Super 2 date should be cleared by the end of May. Looking at the past dozen years, the lowest threshold was 2 years 115 days. If that held this year they would be clear of that May 31. An early June callup wouldn't be out of the question.
    This is incorrect math; opening day was March 30th, the final day of the season is October 1st. The mlb season this year is 186 days long, though a player only needs to be on an active roster for 172 days to accumulate a full season. If a player is called up on June 10th this season, and is not sent back down, he could accumulate no more than 114 days of service. That's the cut-off (if we are going by lowest date ever needed to qualify) - if you go by highest total needed it was 146 days of service way back in 2011 (that date would be early next week).

I see what I did, I had going 60 days into the season when it was 70, sloppy math on my end

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

1m

The #Reds today reinstated from the injured list 1B/OF Wil Myers and designated for assignment IF Matt Reynolds.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Before this year, when a call up replaced a player who was on the COVID-IL, that player was able to go back to Triple-A without having to be DFAd or clear waivers.

It looks like that rule has changed in 2023.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-06-2023 at 03:45 PM.

So does this mean that we now have an open spot on our 40 man?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So does this mean that we now have an open spot on our 40 man?
    Yes
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yes
    Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hmmm...
    Currently 4 pitchers are on the 60 day IL. Tejay Antone, Justin Dunn, Vlad Gutierrez and Tony Santillan. Noot sure if any are close, but I doubt it. I think they'd be eligible to be activated in about 3 weeks if any are ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Currently 4 pitchers are on the 60 day IL. Tejay Antone, Justin Dunn, Vlad Gutierrez and Tony Santillan. Noot sure if any are close, but I doubt it. I think they'd be eligible to be activated in about 3 weeks if any are ready.
    Unless I missed it, none of them are on a rehab assignment so yeah, none of them are close

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

1m

The #Reds today reinstated from the injured list 1B/OF Wil Myers and designated for assignment IF Matt Reynolds.
    They got half of it right.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    This is incorrect math; opening day was March 30th, the final day of the season is October 1st. The mlb season this year is 186 days long, though a player only needs to be on an active roster for 172 days to accumulate a full season. If a player is called up on June 10th this season, and is not sent back down, he could accumulate no more than 114 days of service. That's the cut-off (if we are going by lowest date ever needed to qualify) - if you go by highest total needed it was 146 days of service way back in 2011 (that date would be early next week).
    That’s exciting we get at least another month of Jose Barrero. I actually can’t believe he will turn the corner. He just isn’t good. He had one good minor league season. He doesn’t need to be up here over McLain. Service time manipulation is one of the worst thing about baseball. You hold a guy who is more than ready in the minors where they make jack **** all so you can get an extra year at favorable prices. I don’t see how anyone for workers rights thinks this isn’t wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    That’s exciting we get at least another month of Jose Barrero. I actually can’t believe he will turn the corner. He just isn’t good. He had one good minor league season. He doesn’t need to be up here over McLain. Service time manipulation is one of the worst thing about baseball. You hold a guy who is more than ready in the minors where they make jack **** all so you can get an extra year at favorable prices. I don’t see how anyone for workers rights thinks this isn’t wrong.
    Why in the world would a rebuilding team give up on a guy who just turned 25 when half the roster is made up of easily jettisoned retreads aged 30+? Makes no sense. He is in a very similar spot in his career to where lots of successful players were at his age and with his amount of PT. Chris Taylor and Ben Zobrist to name two guys who were failing SS with OPS numbers in the low .600s (lower for Zobrist) after 300+ big league PAs at an age older than Barrero is now.

I'm fine if they add McLain and CES, but there are other guys to cut loose. Ramos for one. Newman and Myers will be moving on to open spots. No urgency to add McLain and CES now. Let Barrero keep getting more playing time. If he's still making bonehead plays and hovering around .600 OPS at the end of the year, then they'll have a better idea once and for all. He may be costing them games, but the Reds don't seem to care if they win games in 2023, so its a secondary consideration to evaluating young players at this point.

16. Likes:

Mitri (05-07-2023),Revering4Blue (05-07-2023),Ron Madden (05-07-2023)

Why in the world would a rebuilding team give up on a guy who just turned 25 when half the roster is made up of easily jettisoned retreads aged 30+? Makes no sense. He is in a very similar spot in his career to where lots of successful players were at his age and with his amount of PT. Chris Taylor and Ben Zobrist to name two guys who were failing SS with OPS numbers in the low .600s (lower for Zobrist) after 300+ big league PAs at an age older than Barrero is now.

I'm fine if they add McLain and CES, but there are other guys to cut loose. Ramos for one. Newman and Myers will be moving on to open spots. No urgency to add McLain and CES now. Let Barrero keep getting more playing time. If he's still making bonehead plays and hovering around .600 OPS at the end of the year, then they'll have a better idea once and for all. He may be costing them games, but the Reds don't seem to care if they win games in 2023, so its a secondary consideration to evaluating young players at this point.
    One thing in Barrero’s favor is that many of the Reds young shortstops are headed to other positions. EDLC seems like the shortstop in waiting - but even he isn’t a lock to stay at short. McLain seems headed for second base. Marte third base. Arroyo has a ways to go.

So Barrero may get a longer look at short. And if not, I can see him remaining as a part time player in IF and OF.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-07-2023)

I am fine keeping him on the roster. To make it clear he has looked lost up here every year. One good minor league season and spring training and people were calling him the next Barry Larkin. Billy Hamilton had better numbers. I don’t know wgat some people need to see to realize he just isn’t good. You guys will see soon enough he isn’t a major league player.

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-07-2023)

Turn Off Ads?