Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Doh. My bad. He’s been so bad I assumed the only reason why he’s still around was that was a lefty.

Then no idea who starts and who relieves
    Lively has a 2.33 ERA this year so far, it’s going to be him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not that this statement means much considering how bad the Bats pitching has been, but Lively has been the most consistent pitcher this season. And he’s started and relieved, so he can do either. And thank god Hunter Strickland was finally released. He’s been horrible this year. Karcher has too, but at least he has the hope of developing.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Lively is going to become a lefty? That’s news
    Maybe the Reds reworked his contract so he can be a lefty.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

5. Likes:

757690 (05-09-2023),Bourgeois Zee (05-09-2023),Danny Serafini (05-09-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Wait. Been Lively is really Wily Mo?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-09-2023),Revering4Blue (05-09-2023)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

If the Reds are indeed going to tap into their farm to make a change, Abbott is not only the best option in terms of 2023 performance — he’s also the starter who’s likeliest to be on full rest and ready to make that start. Even if Cincinnati bypasses him in favor of Lively or Herget this coming weekend, he’s already made the clear case that he’s a better option for the big league rotation than either Weaver or Cessa. And assuming Williamson can continue to shake off the impact of that catastrophic outing against the Cubs’ Iowa club — he rebounded with a quality start in his next appearance — it might not be long before either he or Stoudt stakes a claim to the fifth spot.

Going with a youth-forward rotation obviously has its pitfalls, but the Reds’ lack of offseason activity on the starting pitching front — both in terms of established big league starters and even in terms of veteran depth on minor league deals — clearly set the stage for that to eventually be the case in 2023. It’s not hard to imagine the Reds rolling with five starters who have under two years of big league service by sometime next month, if not sooner. The next step in the process should come this weekend. It’s only six starts, but Abbott looks like one of the organization’s four best rotation options at this point. Today’s moves might have added some fresh arms in Lively and Herget, but plugging either into the rotation would only continue treading water as they were with Cessa.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Wait. Been Lively is really Wily Mo?
    Have you ever personally seen them together at the same time?
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

11. Likes:

cr_redsfan (05-09-2023),Revering4Blue (05-09-2023),WrongVerb (05-09-2023)

I have zero problem with the Reds slow playing promotion of top prospects to the big league club this year. They could all use more development time for one reason or another. This is not a year the team expects to win. Maybe next year the expectations will be higher, and that's a better culture to carry those guys in over the course of a full season. It's also a consideration, from a culture point of view, that if they spend a lot of time in Louisville together they can be at the forefront of trying to build a successful team. Maybe the pitching falls apart on them, but as a lineup there's no doubt they can compete against anybody in that league. At the same time, they'll all be working on what they need to work on individually.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-09-2023)

I'm really pleased with the return of Ben Lively. I'm among several here, I'm sure, who remember how dominant he was in his early days as a Reds prospect. Has there been a pitching prospect who overmatched the competition as consistently as Lively did for awhile? I can't think of one at the moment. In that vein, it just seems right that's he's back and finally in the majors with the Reds. Would love to see him pick up a W or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm really pleased with the return of Ben Lively. I'm among several here, I'm sure, who remember how dominant he was in his early days as a Reds prospect. Has there been a pitching prospect who overmatched the competition as consistently as Lively did for awhile? I can't think of one at the moment. In that vein, it just seems right that's he's back and finally in the majors with the Reds. Would love to see him pick up a W or two.
    Well Zach Stewart was declared a multi-time Cy Young Winner before ever appearing in a big league game, so there is that.

Full disclosure, I was really high on Stewart myself and was outraged the Reds dealt him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-09-2023),Revering4Blue (05-09-2023)

Congrats to Lively for sticking with it and making it back to the show.

Probably just keeping the spot warm for Abbott, but there’s a need for someone to eat innings even after Abbott is called up.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Tyler Mahle says hi.

Tony Cingrani is also super angry you don't remember him. He's waving his hand around, but he's not saying hi. That hand only has one finger extended, btw.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-09-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG_

Some updates from David Bell.

Luis Cessa getting DFAd was about making a change for “any improvement we can make.” He doesn’t think Luis Cessa’s struggles were connected to role changes.

Kevin Herget and Ben Lively are both in the bullpen right now, but they’re both available to start. Reiver Sanmartin won’t throw for 4-6 weeks and will be back this year.

I think the DFA of Cessa without letting him at least have a fair shot back out of the pen is dumb. He’s not a starter it’s not his fault the Reds cheaply miscast him there.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-10-2023),cr_redsfan (05-09-2023),fondfoat (05-12-2023),Kingspoint (05-09-2023),LeatherPants (05-09-2023),mth123 (05-09-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-09-2023),Revering4Blue (05-09-2023),WildcatFan (05-10-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-09-2023)

"Reiver Sanmartin won't throw for 4-6 weeks and will be back this year" - if David Bell said this he should be fired on the spot because it is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If he's not throwing until sometime in June, at the earliest, how does Dr. Bell know this?

I'm declaring Sanmartin's days with the Reds over and I have less medical information on this than Ding Dong.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think the DFA of Cessa without letting him at least have a fair shot back out of the pen is dumb. He’s not a starter it’s not his fault the Reds cheaply miscast him there.
    He had a 5 ERA coming out of the pen last year and looks cooked.

No big loss.

If he's as good as some RZ'ers think he is he'll get traded via multiple waiver claims. Now, I'd bet he goes unclaimed and requests FA.

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-09-2023),Sea Ray (05-10-2023)

Turn Off Ads?