Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’ve been trying to figure that out this morning. Best I can tell, 28 players is a hard ceiling.

There are some web discussions that assume a 29th man applies, but I think that’s incorrect. We’ll know soon enough, wish I had a more certain response.
    If not, they may wait a couple of days on Antone and bring up somebody like Kennedy or Richardson who can give more innings.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If not, they may wait a couple of days on Antone and bring up somebody like Kennedy or Richardson who can give more innings.
    Yes, especially since no starter has been named for game 2 today. It could be a bullpen game and length would be helpful.

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

The #Reds today reinstated OF Jake Fraley from the 10-day injured list, recalled RHP Brett Kennedy from Triple-A Louisville and added OF Harrison Bader and OF Hunter Renfroe to the active roster.

RHP Hunter Greene was placed on the COVID-19 injured list, retro to Thursday.

COVID?

what is this... the earlier 2020's?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (09-01-2023)

I got 15 position players and 13 pitchers. So does reds.com roster.

No can do.

Iíve been trying to figure that out this morning. Best I can tell, 28 players is a hard ceiling.

There are some web discussions that assume a 29th man applies, but I think thatís incorrect. Weíll know soon enough, wish I had a more certain response.
    From DodgerBlue.com:
    Once the calendar reaches Sept. 1, all MLB teams will be required to have expanded rosters of 28 players. Teams are permitted to carry 29 players on their active roster for any doubleheaders played during the final month of the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    From DodgerBlue.com:
    I don’t think that’s correct, but not entirely sure. I looked at several sources. I saw DodgerBlue and other discussions.

This is from MLB.com. One would think that they know:
    Under current rules, Major League teams are allowed to carry 26 players on their everyday active rosters. Clubs can add a 27th player on days in which they play a doubleheader. In September, those roster limits expand to 28 (29 on twin bill days). Teams must use every one of those 28 spots and can also carry a five-player taxi squad with them on road trips.

9-1-23

Cincinnati Reds activated CF Harrison Bader and RF Hunter Renfroe

Cincinnati Reds activated CF Jake Fraley from the 10-day injured list.

Cincinnati Reds placed RHP Hunter Greene on the 10-day injured list retroactive to August 31, 2023.

Cincinnati Reds recalled RHP Brett Kennedy from Louisville Bats.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-01-2023 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is from MLB.com. One would think that they know:
    Is that a 2023 statement, or 2022?

I believe a hard cap of 28 applies beginning this year. I’m looking to relocate the sources I saw earlier. Jonathan Mayo refers to the hard cap as a new feature but there’s a more direct statement I’m looking for.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-01-2023 at 11:19 AM.

I was surprised they moved Siani off the forty. On the position side, other than the active roster guys, Barrero might have gone. But there arenít many choices assuming Senzel, Hopkins remain roster players (both are active as of now). Casali is needed as insurance for catcher.

There would be other choices on the pitching side, Busenitz, for example, but my guess is Reds wanted to keep all available arms in case theyíre needed.
    Siani had a .698 OPS on a team where most of his teammates were over .850. It may look like progress compared to his prior years, but it's not really progress. He's not going to hit and if he doesn't, he's an interchangeable part. There are tons of guys who can run and play good defense in the minor leagues, and many are available as minor league free agents every year. It doesn't mean there may not be a place on a big-league roster for them, but they are common enough that you don't need to waste a 40 man spot to protect them.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Siani had a .698 OPS on a team where most of his teammates were over .850. It may look like progress compared to his prior years, but it's not really progress. He's not going to hit and if he doesn't, he's an interchangeable part. There are tons of guys who can run and play good defense in the minor leagues, and many are available as minor league free agents every year. It doesn't mean there may not be a place on a big-league roster for them, but they are common enough that you don't need to waste a 40 man spot to protect them.
    Agree. OTOH Siani didn’t get a real chance in the bigs. I would have thought he would.

He may just clear waivers and get a shot some other time.

Is that a 2023 statement, or 2022?

I believe a hard cap of 28 applies beginning this year. I’m looking to relocate the sources I saw earlier. Jonathan Mayo refers to the hard cap as a new feature but there’s a more direct statement I’m looking for.
    You are correct, no extra players starting on September 1 for double headers.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You are correct, no extra players starting on September 1 for double headers.
    Thanks for confirming.

Thanks for confirming.
    Here's the language from MLB.com

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/27th-man

27th Man
    Definition
    MLB clubs have a 26-man active Major League roster but are allowed to recall one additional player who is on the 40-man roster to serve as the 27th member for the day of a doubleheader. That player accrues one day of MLB service time and is returned to the Minor Leagues following the completion of the doubleheader. This rule is in effect from Opening Day through Aug. 31. From Sept. 1 through the end of the regular season, all clubs must carry 28 players. The active roster reverts back to 26 players during the postseason.

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player typically must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers and two-way players, the minimum is 15 days. But if a player is serving as the 27th man for a doubleheader, there is no minimum number of days for which the optioned player must remain in the Minors.

Teams also are permitted to call up a 27th man on days when they are completing a previously suspended game and have another game scheduled after that, but the 27th man is only permitted to play in the regularly scheduled game that day, not the contest that was previously suspended.

18. Likes:

mth123 (09-01-2023)

Turn Off Ads?