Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agree. OTOH Siani didn’t get a real chance in the bigs. I would have thought he would.

He may just clear waivers and get a shot some other time.
    He didn't really hit in AA or AAA. I don't think he really earned a shot at a big-league opportunity. I was actually shocked when they called him up.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He didn't really hit in AA or AAA. I don't think he really earned a shot at a big-league opportunity. I was actually shocked when they called him up.
    Siani’s calling card - from the day he was drafted - was his defense. I’m not sure how much offense he had to show for a meaningful trial as a fifth outfielder. Whatever, just surprised he got DFA’d at this point.

Siani’s calling card - from the day he was drafted - was his defense. I’m not sure how much offense he had to show for a meaningful trial as a fifth outfielder. Whatever, just surprised he got DFA’d at this point.
    He would have been DFA after the season to open a 40 man spot anyway. They filed his defensive OF spot with Bader. Bader, Friedl, Renfro, Benson and Senzel leaves little room for another OF. I'm surprised they didn't DFA Hopkins as well to add another arm. My guess is that happens after game 1. Since a lefty is starting, they probably wanted another RH bat on the bench.

Siani has been several years younger than the league average at every minor league stop and never got the opportunity to repeat one. He was 22 and 23 in the high minors, so the difference between he and a spare part like Billy Hamilton is that there still might be upside.

That said, not a major issue and on a consistent playoff contender there probably shouldn’t be room for him on the roster anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

We’ve seen several of the Reds bullpen chaff clear waivers so I expect it to work again. If somebody does claim one of those bums they can just get a head start on protecting some of their rule 5 guys. Minor league seasons are about to wrap anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He would have been DFA after the season to open a 40 man spot anyway. They filed his defensive OF spot with Bader. Bader, Friedl, Renfro, Benson and Senzel leaves little room for another OF. I'm surprised they didn't DFA Hopkins as well to add another arm. My guess is that happens after game 1. Since a lefty is starting, they probably wanted another RH bat on the bench.
    I understand that in September you must have 14 position players and 14 pitchers. It is September. So I believe they must make that move before game 1. Again, the rules this time of year can be confusing so I leave the hedge that I may be missing something.

I understand that in September you must have 14 position players and 14 pitchers. It is September. So I believe they must make that move before game 1. Again, the rules this time of year can be confusing so I leave the hedge that I may be missing something.
    I think it’s not more than 14 pitchers. There’s no minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That's what I thought as well.

Pretty sure that's right. You can't go 15/13 in favor of pitchers, but 15/13 for position players is OK.

Yes, you’ve got it. I just read today’s report by Jonathan Mayo on mlb.com and he confirms.

Required 28 players. Maximum 14 pitchers. No maximum of position players. With Greene on COVID IL Reds are going one pitcher short.

mth may have been correct saying Reds will alter this after Game 1. Hopkins is an extra RH bat with the lefty starting Game 1.

Got it, thanks for the clarification.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-01-2023),REDREAD (09-02-2023)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

13. Likes:

757690 (09-01-2023),goreds2 (09-02-2023)

ugh. an epidemic? that's three.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    ugh. an epidemic? that's three.
    Well, we may have another reason that the team did not want Clevinger . . . .

Unbelievably snakebitten end to the year. #1, 2 and 5 starters out, #2, 5, 6 hitters out. #4 hitter limited. That's a lot to absorb in an important weekend series.

So, all three pitchers out a minimum of 7 days.

Hope they all recover 100%.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-02-2023)

Trying to remember a day with more transactions than yesterday. With the double header, acquiring Renfroe and Bader, and the Covid stuff

Mike Siani Claimed by Cards

The Cardinals claimed Siani off waivers from the Reds on Saturday and optioned him to Triple-A Memphis, Jeff Jones of the Belleville News-Democrat reports.

Siani was DFA'd by Cincinnati on Thursday in order to make room on the roster for Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader, and he'll now join a division rival in St. Louis. The 24-year-old outfielder is slashing .228/.344/.354 across 454 plate appearances in Triple-A this season

Turn Off Ads?