Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 964

Thread: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

  1. #856
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    57,117

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Shake a tree and ten gloves fall out

  2. Likes:

    Kingspoint (09-06-2023),Marc D (09-07-2023),mth123 (09-05-2023)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #857
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    33,494

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Michael Mariot DFAd today.

    Kevin Herget is back up.

    Thank you Michael Mariot for the 2 2/3 important innings yesterday.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

  5. Likes:

    Chip R (09-05-2023),cumberlandreds (09-05-2023),goreds2 (09-05-2023),Kingspoint (09-06-2023),RED VAN HOT (09-05-2023),Revering4Blue (09-05-2023),Tom Servo (09-05-2023),TRF (09-05-2023),wlf WV (09-06-2023)

  6. #858
    Member HalKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    411

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Shane Greene DFA'd by the Cubs today. He'd been stretched out as a starter for the Cubs AAA team, but primarily has been a reliever in a pretty successful major league career. Considering the alternatives like Busnitz and the like, this guy might be worth picking up off the scrap heap.

  7. Likes:

    BEETTLEBUG (09-06-2023),TRF (09-06-2023)

  8. #859
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

    The bottom line is, young tweener position players like Siani aren't going to cut it on these Reds. That's a good thing. He deserves a chance to do it somewhere else, and I wish him luck.
    It's always nice when somebody is even higher on prospect that you like. I agree that someday Siani is likely going to be a decent major league player eventually. He's still youngish and has taken time to adjust at every level. By the time the Siani is ready for MLB the reds won't be able to afford his growing pain/adjustment season.

    I'm curious about your use of the word tweener. Usually when I hear somebody use that word they mean a guy doesn't fit the profile for a single position. Reggie Sanders could play center, but he was a pretty miserable centerfielder. He was a tweener. Siani's calling card is centerfield. There's no question about that. So are you using the word in a different way?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (09-06-2023)

  10. #860
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,837

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    It's always nice when somebody is even higher on prospect that you like. I agree that someday Siani is likely going to be a decent major league player eventually. He's still youngish and has taken time to adjust at every level. By the time the Siani is ready for MLB the reds won't be able to afford his growing pain/adjustment season.

    I'm curious about your use of the word tweener. Usually when I hear somebody use that word they mean a guy doesn't fit the profile for a single position. Reggie Sanders could play center, but he was a pretty miserable centerfielder. He was a tweener. Siani's calling card is centerfield. There's no question about that. So are you using the word in a different way?
    Maybe tweener between AAA/major leagues. A guy that has skills and becomes too good for minors eventually, but has trouble adding value to a major league club. I agree with the point that Siani will likely take years of adjustments and growing pains before he can help out a major league team. Might come on org 3 or 4, much like Jose Siri has with the Rays.


    "I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

  11. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (09-06-2023),dfs (09-06-2023),Mitri (09-06-2023),Revering4Blue (09-06-2023)

  12. #861
    Member HalKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    411

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I am telling you Siani is going to be an near all star cf like Geronimo.
    Siani improvements at the plate give me Hope the EDLC can improve
    I'm a fan just like everyone else on here, not a professional scout, but this evaluation of Mike Siani is pretty far off base in my opinion. I've watched a significant number of Bats games this season and I can only see Mike Siani as a role player on a MLB roster as his ceiling. I love his defense and his offense is passable in AAA, but his bat would have to come a long way to be an all star. His bat would have to make a huge improvement from where it is today for me to see him as a starter in the majors. I like him as a player, wish him all the best... but the Reds have a number of guys who will make us all forget Mike Siani ever suited up for the Reds.

  13. Likes:

    mth123 (09-06-2023),TRF (09-06-2023)

  14. #862
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I'm a fan just like everyone else on here, not a professional scout, but this evaluation of Mike Siani is pretty far off base in my opinion. I've watched a significant number of Bats games this season and I can only see Mike Siani as a role player on a MLB roster as his ceiling. I love his defense and his offense is passable in AAA, but his bat would have to come a long way to be an all star. His bat would have to make a huge improvement from where it is today for me to see him as a starter in the majors. I like him as a player, wish him all the best... but the Reds have a number of guys who will make us all forget Mike Siani ever suited up for the Reds.
    Not that anybody asked me, but I think the comparison to Cesar Geronimo is apt. He's was a major league talent as a centerfielder and one of the best lineups ever around him was able to produce offensively at just below the all star level. Siani showed very real in-year progress twice at Dayton (at A ball and then when they switched leagues at High A the next year.) While he was never the sort of prospect who lit up the park the way Billy Hamilton or Elle did, guys that grow like that over the course of a year tend to last. Compare and Contrast with Austin Hendrick who has spent a year and a half at Dayton and plays almost exactly like he did when he arrived.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  15. #863
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,837

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Not that anybody asked me, but I think the comparison to Cesar Geronimo is apt. He's was a major league talent as a centerfielder and one of the best lineups ever around him was able to produce offensively at just below the all star level. Siani showed very real in-year progress twice at Dayton (at A ball and then when they switched leagues at High A the next year.) While he was never the sort of prospect who lit up the park the way Billy Hamilton or Elle did, guys that grow like that over the course of a year tend to last. Compare and Contrast with Austin Hendrick who has spent a year and a half at Dayton and plays almost exactly like he did when he arrived.
    I was thinking more like left handed Ryan Lamarre. Cesar at least hit enough for the era to have a career.


    "I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

  16. Likes:

    mth123 (09-06-2023),Tony Cloninger (09-06-2023)

  17. #864
    Member HalKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    411

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I was thinking more like left handed Ryan Lamarre. Cesar at least hit enough for the era to have a career.
    I agree that LaMarre is closer than Geronimo. Sinai will hang around on the fringes with minor league deals for a few years with an occasional look at the mlb level.

  18. #865
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Siani is 23. He's going to have a career. He'll not be a star, but good enough to start for a year or two. And it COULD end up being more.

    It speaks well of the reds scouting that they got a fourth rounder who will likely have a career and it speaks well of the organization that they can lose a player like that and nobody bats and eye because it's not really a problem.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  19. Likes:

    757690 (09-06-2023)

  20. #866
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    22,025

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    09/06/23

    Cincinnati Reds recalled RHP Lyon Richardson from Louisville Bats.

    Cincinnati Reds optioned RHP Casey Legumina to Louisville Bats.

  21. Likes:

    Kingspoint (09-06-2023)

  22. #867
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    10,146

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Siani could barely OPS at below 700 in a league and on a team playing with a 1920s rabbit ball. He’s not starting for anyone unless it’s an emergency of biblical proportions. He’s Sammy Mejias or maybe Reggie Taylor. If he turns into Harrison Bader at his best I will be surprised

  23. Likes:

    CaiGuy (09-06-2023),Kingspoint (09-06-2023),mth123 (09-06-2023),Revering4Blue (09-07-2023),westofyou (09-06-2023)

  24. #868
    he/him *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Harrison Bader’s had a fine career. he’s accrued 13 fWAR in a little over 2,000 PAs. That’s over 3 WAR per 500 PAs. I’ve been a Siani booster in this thread and I’m not nearly that bullish. I was thinking more Gregor Blanco or so.

  25. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (09-07-2023)

  26. #869
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5,830

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Siani is 23. He's going to have a career. He'll not be a star, but good enough to start for a year or two. And it COULD end up being more. .
    There's no reason to believe this. He's a career .240 minor league hitter who doesn't hit for a lot of power. Siri had a shot at the bigs because he also had power to go with the speed.

  27. Likes:

    Mitri (09-07-2023),Revering4Blue (09-07-2023)

  28. #870
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: Reds Transactions 2023 Season

    Wish they hadn't lost Siani, but I figure they have a good idea what they have in Jacob Hurtubise and Ethan O'Donnell.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator