Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene Part 2

Re: Hunter Greene Part 2

According to Fangraphs, through three starts this year Hunter has thrown a fastball 53.6% of the time, sliders 41.0%, splitter (scrapped his changeup) 4.9% and a curveball 2.3%. I would assume as he becomes more comfortable, the splitter and changeup percentage should go up, especially against lefties. That's gotta help get batters from keying on the slider and/or the fastball.

Someone above compared him to Cueto. Just FYI, in Cueto's third year, he threw 55.2% fastballs, 26.7% sliders, 10.0% changeups and 8.2% cutters.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hunter needs to be better, but Maile screwed him by not catching that ball from Elly when there was a play at the plate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    According to Fangraphs, through three starts this year Hunter has thrown a fastball 53.6% of the time, sliders 41.0%, splitter (scrapped his changeup) 4.9% and a curveball 2.3%. I would assume as he becomes more comfortable, the splitter and changeup percentage should go up, especially against lefties. That's gotta help get batters from keying on the slider and/or the fastball.

Someone above compared him to Cueto. Just FYI, in Cueto's third year, he threw 55.2% fastballs, 26.7% sliders, 10.0% changeups and 8.2% cutters.
    Kinda sounds like a closer. JMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Greene 98 pitches through 4 innings. My god.

8 baserunners, 98 pitches and only 2 offerings other than the FB/Slider in 4 innings. Command issues and pitching only 2 pitches.

Seems like the plan against Greene is to sit on the slider and foul off fastballs.

...And ignore the splitter, if you happen to win the lottery and actually see it as a hitter, because it looks nothing like the other two pitches and it's always a ball anyway.

Rocket Science, it is not.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (04-17-2024)

If Hunter cannot start throwing the slider for strikes he is destined for the bullpen, unfortunately.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Never understood why he wasn't mentored by Soto to learn his changeup...

Watching Greene's starts is always an odd experience. It's not enjoyable, it's mostly frustrating, and by the end of it, you'd think he had given up 10 runs when he actually only gave up 2 or 3.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (04-17-2024),texasdave (04-17-2024),wlf WV (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Seems like the plan against Greene is to sit on the slider and foul off fastballs.

...And ignore the splitter, if you happen to win the lottery and actually see it as a hitter, because it looks nothing like the other two pitches and it's always a ball anyway.

Rocket Science, it is not.
    It seems clear at this point that Greene’s gone about as far as he’s gonna go without adding a distinctive third pitch, so I really don’t understand them being so tentative about throwing the splitter. Is this a DJ thing?

12. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-17-2024)

Reds' early West Coast pains might turn into late gains via schedule fluke
    About the best thing the Cincinnati Reds might have to say about traveling 2,000 miles from home only to play in the cold, get sick and lose a series is that they won’t have to worry about any more of these tough West Coast swings after the middle of May.

Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Mariners with the ballpark roof open and the Seattle temperatures dropping into the 40s with the setting sun.

Maybe that contributed to starter Hunter Greene laboring as much as he did with the slider and needing 98 pitches just to get through four innings – or Frankie Montas’ trouble with the splitter in similar conditions the night before in a two-inning start.

“I definitely don’t want to use that as an excuse. It is a reality,” Greene said of the difficulty finding better grip in the cold, dry air. “That’s the thing about traveling, and you’re in different climates. But as professionals you’ve got to be able to combat that in some way.”

“These trips are always a lot physically, with time changes and other stuff,” Tyler Stephenson said before Tuesday’s game.

“Just to knock them out early and towards the end of the season not really have to worry about any of that, that can be a positive.”
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...ke/ar-BB1lKVzY
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-17-2024 at 10:06 AM.

14. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-18-2024)

I mentioned it in the game thread - I feel like this is partially a Derek Johnson issue. I cannot shake this gut feeling that if Hunter came up in the Dodgers system he would have already won a cy young. At some point you have to question the development of these pitchers by the Reds. Multiple pitchers have stated after leaving the organization and going to another its like a breath of fresh air with how other systems develop their pitchers.

I have been saying it for years, why is DJ so revered?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I mentioned it in the game thread - I feel like this is partially a Derek Johnson issue. I cannot shake this gut feeling that if Hunter came up in the Dodgers system he would have already won a cy young. At some point you have to question the development of these pitchers by the Reds. Multiple pitchers have stated after leaving the organization and going to another its like a breath of fresh air with how other systems develop their pitchers.

I have been saying it for years, why is DJ so revered?
    I’ve never heard nor read anything like what is quoted. Who are these pitchers?

Also, the Reds have developed some decent pitchers under Johnson: Castillo, Mahle, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Williamson, Abbott as starters, and a bunch of relievers starting with Díaz.

Hard to see this as a Johnson problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I don’t know who’s to blame, but it seems like the last two games our pitchers were trying to throw perfect pitches, aka nibbling. There is absolutely no reason to do that in Seattle, under those weather conditions. I can understand pitching that way at GAB, but not in Seattle. There’s a reason their pitchers went 35 consecutive innings without a walk. Because they weren’t afraid of challenging hitters.

13 BB in two games by our pitchers, in a pitchers park is atrocious!!! Either all our pitchers have trouble throwing strikes or our philosophy may need tweaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

18. Likes:

dreghorntwo (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’ve never heard nor read anything like what is quoted. Who are these pitchers?.
    Levi Stoudt is the only one I can think of. And he's not doing any better back with the Mariners than he was with the Reds.

20. Likes:

757690 (04-17-2024),LeatherPants (04-17-2024),Ron Madden (04-17-2024)

There have been some MLB Breakingball Pitchers complaining about the baseballs being too slick this year. They're not being able to control the location of their breakingball pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Levi Stoudt is the only one I can think of. And he's not doing any better back with the Mariners than he was with the Reds.
    Thanks, I remember that now. So one guy who spent most of his professional career in another organization and only a bit more than one season with the Reds, who made the comment right after the Reds waived him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-17-2024)

Turn Off Ads?