Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene Part 2

Re: Hunter Greene Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Um ... next up after Greene is Chase Anderson and Randy Wynne.
    Nope. I think he's Roger Clemens. Just not yet. Probably after the Reds squandered his years of control.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

redsrule2500 (04-18-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It would be very Reds for him to struggle through year 4, get it together in year 5, get dealt that offseason, then have him win Cy Youngs for the Dodgers or whoever.

Bullpen, defense save Reds win over Rays after Hunter Greene injury

Reds ace Hunter Greene started against the 14-2 Tampa Bay Rays at Great American Ball Park, and through three innings he looked better than he had all year.

He was locating his slider for strikes and getting big swings and misses. He leaned on his changeup more often. He got weak contact and put himself in position to pitch deep into the game.

Then in the top of the third inning, Greene took a comebacker off his shin and eventually left the game. The Reds bullpen had to cover six innings against a lineup that has looked unstoppable this season.

Before he left the game, Greene delivered his most impressive sequence of the year. Greene took the ground ball off his leg with one out in the third inning and still completed the frame.

For the second out, Greene threw his rarely used changeup and made one of his most impressive pitches of the year to get the strikeout on Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe. Greene then got Rays superstar left fielder Randy Arozarena to fly out to end the inning, but Greene didn’t return for the fourth.

Due to Greene’s injury, the Reds had a starter unable to complete more than three innings for the third time in four days. The Reds have needed most of their relievers to throw multiple innings during this stretch, and the group out of the bullpen on Monday stepped up with one of the bullpen’s best showings of the season.

Read More Here:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/bullpen-def...5.html?src=rss
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-18-2023 at 07:11 AM.

My guess is he misses one start, probably two. Expect a IL announcement soon

Besides the injury, I loved what I saw of Greene yesterday. Keep throwing that slider and that change-up. The sooner he gets those effectively into his mix, the sooner he becomes the ace we all expect him to be. Gotta throw it in games to develop it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

GAC (04-18-2023),Ron Madden (04-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Besides the injury, I loved what I saw of Greene yesterday. Keep throwing that slider and that change-up. The sooner he gets those effectively into his mix, the sooner he becomes the ace we all expect him to be. Gotta throw it in games to develop it.
    It looked like Hunter had good command of the slider and change up last night

and fooling hitters with both pitches
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-18-2023 at 11:56 AM.

10. Likes:

mth123 (04-18-2023)

Nick Kirby
    @Nicholaspkirby
    ·
    15h
    Worth noting on Hunter Greene's FB velocity being down a bit tonight: every single pitcher that has appeared in this game for both teams has their FB or Sinker velocity down tonight.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is he misses one start, probably two. Expect a IL announcement soon
    IL would be administrative, for sure. If they plan for him not to pitch for 10 or 12 days, he's not essentially useful to the roster. Might as well bring someone in to at least keep you from giving Vosler too many high-stress mound innings. If they IL Greene, then that would likely mean Anderson, but they'd need to clear a 40-man spot for him. Not sure who they could 60-day, unless they do plan to DFA Vosler or Maile.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

or the best case is precaution and regular recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    or the best case is precaution and regular recovery.
    They treat Greene like a highly polished sports car. juF makes a good point about administrative practicality as well

I hope they don't rush Hunter back before he's ready

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

BREAKING: Right-hander Hunter Greene and the Cincinnati Reds are in agreement on a six-year, $53 million contract extension that includes a seventh-year option, pending physical, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Details free and unlocked at ESPN: es.pn/40mkXXY
    5:42pm · 18 Apr 2023 ·
    Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

Hunter Greene’s deal is the first guaranteed salary for Cincinnati beyond the 2023 season. As the Reds’ rebuild kicks into gear, they’re locking in a core that starts with Greene. If the seventh-year option is exercised, Greene will reach free agency after his age-29 season.
    5:43pm · 18 Apr 2023
    Sources: Hunter Greene, Reds agree on 6-year, $53M extension

Right-hander Hunter Greene and the Cincinnati Reds are in agreement on a six-year, $53 million contract extension, pending a physical, sources told ESPN, tying the hardest-throwing starter in baseball long-term to the organization that previously didn't have any salary guaranteed to players beyond this season.

Greene, 23, debuted last year as Cincinnati's rebuild remained a work in progress. The arrival of starters Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft alongside Greene have brought some semblance of hope back to an organization that, outside of the COVID-shortened season, last made the playoffs in 2013.

The deal starts this season and buys out two years of Greene's free agency, with a $21 million seventh-year club option that includes a $2 million buyout. If the Reds pick up the option, Greene would hit the open market after his age-29 season.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

17. Likes:

CySeymour (04-18-2023),Joeyjection19 (04-18-2023),Ron Madden (04-18-2023)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Well I'll be a toasted marshmallow. I take it to mean that the leg/ankle is doing just fine. Also more reason not to expedite a return.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-18-2023)

Exciting news!!!

I haven't read yet if there is a no-trade clause. If not, well, if Greene performs even league average it'll make an easy contract to move if they decide it's necessary at some point.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-18-2023)

I love this !!!

Turn Off Ads?