Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Abbott

Re: Andrew Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He should be in AAA with the next turn through the rotation. He's 24, plenty old for the level, and has already amassed 22 AA starts and 101.2 innings. His ERA masks relatively dominant peripherals-- a few too many walks (which he's shored up over his last few starts last year and his first few this season), but an elite K rate balances it out. Less than one H per innings (7.5/9) too. Abbott's made his adjustment to AA-- he needs to learn how to make those adjustments in AAA.

Abbott could get 20+ AAA starts and 100+ IP this season-- that'd give him enough minor league innings to move up (depending on how well he pitches, of course).
    Last year, Abbott similarly dominated early in Dayton, where he started four games before being promoted in May. I'd wager he'll get a similar schedule this year. Spend April in Chattanooga, May-August in Louisville, and September in Cincinnati. He struggled a bit after his promotion last season, but maybe we see him in a Reds uniform sooner if that's not the case this year.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Likes:

JCM11 (04-14-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

An ideal outcome would be to have Abbott and Stoudt in the rotation by end of year at Major league level. I'm getting more optimistic it can happen.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    6 IP
    2 H
    0 R
    0 BB
    14 Ks

Tonight against Mississippi.
    Is that good?

I'd give him thru the end of April, then promote him in May. EDLC and CES should be back playing at that point, which would make Louisville much more interesting to watch
    Last edited by medford; 04-14-2023 at 10:17 AM.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

I expected Abbott to be a fast mover this year, but he's taking it to another level so far. I don't see where he needs to be babied. Abbott is two months older than Hunter Greene, and if they feel he has the pitches to get big league hitters out then bring him up this summer. Abbott pitched 100+ innings in college in 2021 and 118 last year so he should be in line for around 140 this year. Yeah you don't want to rush him, but it would be nice to get the big 3 some help in the rotation.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Last year, Abbott similarly dominated early in Dayton, where he started four games before being promoted in May. I'd wager he'll get a similar schedule this year. Spend April in Chattanooga, May-August in Louisville, and September in Cincinnati. He struggled a bit after his promotion last season, but maybe we see him in a Reds uniform sooner if that's not the case this year.
    The key is to get him a solid number of innings this year.

I'd love to see him amass 115-130 IP this year.

That's doable, especially if he continues to pitch well and is moved to AAA (where the season is longer).

That would put him, IMO, in line to be the 5th starter for the Reds in 2024, with Greene, Ashcraft, and Lodolo in front of him-- and hopefully an elite guy they acquire via the fortune they've chosen not to spend in free agency this season and last. (Luis Urias would be ideal.)

I think he's ultimately a reliever, but lets get him starts in AAA so we can find out sooner rather than later if a bullpen conversion will be necessary.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think he's ultimately a reliever, but lets get him starts in AAA so we can find out sooner rather than later if a bullpen conversion will be necessary.
    Not to just argue for the fuggovit, but what exactly suggests he's "ultimately" a reliever?
    The odds of that are probably related to whether you want him to pitch the first 3 innings or the next 3.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

I did a bit of digging and Abbott relieved his first 3 years in college...UVA wanted him to add a change up in order to start which is why he started as a senior.

Abbott pitched almost exclusively out of the bullpen in his first three seasons at Virginia. Before his fourth year, he “added a change-up, which was significant,” O’Connor said, “and I committed that we’d make him a starter, but you can’t just do that. He needed to add the change-up, which he worked hard at doing. Also, he just needed to understand that he couldn’t go out there and throw 20, 25 pitches an inning and be a starter. He needed to understand that pitching to contact is good. That was kind of the next level of learning how to pitch, and he did all that, which allowed him to stay in games in the sixth and seventh innings.”

Since leaving UVA, Abbott said, he’s added a slider. “The change-up is still coming along. It’s proven to be a little bit more difficult to be more consistent with the change-up. The movement’s fine, it’s just being really consistent with it. But I’d probably say I’m the same pitcher. Approach-wise, mentality-wise, everything’s pretty much the same.”
    I think the Reds view him exclusively as a starter currently...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why do you think that?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Smaller stature lefty without overpowering stuff but overpowering results gives me Travis Wood vibes. Not sure where the reliever stuff comes from

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Smaller stature lefty without overpowering stuff but overpowering results gives me Travis Wood vibes. Not sure where the reliever stuff comes from
    Travis Wood was a serviceable BOR arm for awhile, I’d be ok with that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Travis Wood was a serviceable BOR arm for awhile, Iíd be ok with that.
    I get the comparison, but Wood never came close to putting up the strike out numbers Abbott has so far(13+ per 9 in college and in the minors). Maybe Abbott has a little more upside.
    Last edited by JCM11; 04-17-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I get the comparison, but Wood never came close to putting up the strike out numbers Abbott has so far(13+ per 9 in college and in the minors).
    I was thinking Cingrani with the sort of unorthodox, dominating fastball. Abbott might be less one dimensional, and I like our chances of coaching him better. (I donít think anyone knew what to do with Cingrani back then)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    I was thinking Cingrani with the sort of unorthodox, dominating fastball. Abbott might be less one dimensional, and I like our chances of coaching him better. (I don’t think anyone knew what to do with Cingrani back then)
    Cingrani was also playing with mirrors, compiling peculiar statistics to support effectiveness that was never really proven.
    I don't honestly know if I'd even promote him to the majors now if he came along.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Cingrani was dominant in the minor leagues. He flew through the Reds system. And started very well in the majors. In 2013, he struck out 120 in 104 innings and had a sub-3 ERA.

He then got a shoulder injury in 2014 and was never as good, became a reliever, etc.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-21-2023)

Turn Off Ads?