Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Abbott

Re: Andrew Abbott

I kind of hoping he would stay in AA for a little longer only because the top of the rotation with him Phillips and Boyle was intriguing. Hopefully both those guys are in Louisville soon and that team starts winning

As a side note, how is Joe Boyle not in the MLB.com top 30 prospect list? I get the walks are a problem, but they are far less of a problem than guys like Hendrick or Hinds complete inability to put a bat on the ball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I kind of hoping he would stay in AA for a little longer only because the top of the rotation with him Phillips and Boyle was intriguing. Hopefully both those guys are in Louisville soon and that team starts winning

As a side note, how is Joe Boyle not in the MLB.com top 30 prospect list? I get the walks are a problem, but they are far less of a problem than guys like Hendrick or Hinds complete inability to put a bat on the ball
    I would guess the mid season top 30 will be quite a bit different.

With that said, I like mlb pipeline's rankings for the top 10 or so, but after that it is just a bunch of guys that are there because of where they were drafted. There is absolutely no reason Hendrick or Hinds should be on anyone's top 30 list at this point.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Excited to see how Abbott fares at AAA. Curious to see what the corresponding Louisville rotation move will be. Right now, I think it's Stoudt, Williamson, Anderson, Lively, and Herget.

Obviously the bottom three are fungible, but I wonder if they go with a six-man rotation, if Herget heads back to the pen, or if they're ready to pull the plug on Williamson as a starter.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

How many starts before he gets called up? If he has three starts like he had at AA.....
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-24-2023)

I like the move. He wasn’t going to learn anything in AA striking out 11 per appearance. Let’s hope he dominates AAA and gives Cincinnati another legit arm in the rotation.

8. Likes:

Benihana (04-25-2023),CySeymour (04-25-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Robo umps are coming to Triple-A this week.
    That may or may not matter, but it's just happening.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Abbott debuts at Louisville today...

Name:  FupgjoDXoAUK7jN.jpeg
Views: 487
Size:  110.5 KB
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Tuff Nut (04-26-2023)

Poor Chuckie Robinson, has the second best numbers on the team (to McLain) yet his manager still sticks him at the bottom of the lineup

Andrew Abbott, welcome to Triple-A

https://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats/s...79226232881159

Reds prospect extends MiLB-leading K total in Triple-A debut

It doesn't matter what level Andrew Abbott is pitching at. He just keeps striking batters out.

The 23-year-old whiffed seven across five frames in his debut for Triple-A Louisville, bringing his MiLB-leading punchout total to 43 in 20 2/3 innings in the Bats' 9-5 loss to Iowa. The southpaw may only be the Reds’ 10th-ranked prospect, but he has arguably been the most impressive force on the mound across the Minors so far this season.
    More here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-prospe...triple-a-debut
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I'm curious where we're getting the notion that Abbott is a soft-tosser.

He's definitely not. Especially for a southpaw.

16. Likes:

icehole3 (04-27-2023),Old school 1983 (04-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm curious where we're getting the notion that Abbott is a soft-tosser.

He's definitely not. Especially for a southpaw.
    When I watch him he's more less 94-96. He will come down to 91-92 when he needs to get a good corner strike. His specialty is high curve high FB.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    When I watch him he's more less 94-96. He will come down to 91-92 when he needs to get a good corner strike. His specialty is high curve high FB.
    Mid 90s as a southpaw is near elite velocity. It's certainly not the junkballer some make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Mid 90s as a southpaw is near elite velocity. It's certainly not the junkballer some make him out to be.
    I can't find anyone who claims he is a soft tosser or junk baller. Where does this come from?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I can't find anyone who claims he is a soft tosser or junk baller. Where does this come from?
    Other discussions on the forum. Different thread. I posted here because it connected with Abbott in particular and not the "Early notes".

Sorry, that was remarkably unclear on my part.

Turn Off Ads?