Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minor League Game Thread for Friday, April 07, 2023

Aristocratic Hoosier

Re: Minor League Game Thread for Friday, April 07, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I haven’t seen evidence that Williamson’s problem is inability to control a particular pitch.
    What I saw tonight was generally some shaky mechanics. There is plenty of stuff there but he's a big looming lefty with a lot of moving parts.
    There is plenty that can go wrong with that, but I'm also no expert. He was pitching even or behind in the count too much and that's never a good thing. I also don't think he can't be taught to pitch better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Scrabbling together a bullpen with Fernando Cruz, and some of the others we've seen over the past couple of years -- I guess it comes back to this: Why is it necessary to just concede you are going to lose 90 games? Get some Stricklands and leave no doubt about it. Meanwhile, guys who can conceivably pitch that well are being left on the dock.

I mean, really ... is the service clock almighty now? They gave Ryan Hendrix a shot at it, and it failed. But it was worth the gamble.
    Garcia and Wong are both at 'Nooga. They won't stay there. Do they get to spend the duration of their career pitching for the Bats?
    Wong's already 26 making his AA debut this year. Garcia is 28 and has pitched less than 7 innings above AA. Those are exactly the types I'd stop messing with. If a guy isn't an established big leaguer by the time he's 26, chances are slim he ever will be. If a kid is 24 and still struggling as a minor league starter, cut back his pitch assortment, stick him in relief and if losing those pitches seems to solve his problem, get him to the big leagues as a reliever with only using his two best pitches.

The Reds are playing the lottery and not developing guys. They leave them in the minors when its becoming obvious it's not going to work while filling the big league team with cheap retreads and hope that they get that 1 in 10000 guys who has a light come on in his late 20s. I don't like using the 1 in 10000 odds plan.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wong's already 26 making his AA debut this year. Garcia is 28 and has pitched less than 7 innings above AA. Those are exactly the types I'd stop messing with. If a guy isn't an established big leaguer by the time he's 26, chances are slim he ever will be. If a kid is 24 and still struggling as a minor league starter, cut back his pitch assortment, stick him in relief and if losing those pitches seems to solve his problem, get him to the big leagues as a reliever with only using his two best pitches.

The Reds are playing the lottery and not developing guys. They leave them in the minors when its becoming obvious it's not going to work while filling the big league team with cheap retreads and hope that they get that 1 in 10000 guys who has a light come on in his late 20s. I don't like using the 1 in 10000 odds plan.
    Oh I don't disagree that Garcia and Wong are anything but short-termers. I would use them this year as the real pitchers we need get more seasoning. I would just rather them on the staff than some more Sean Doolittles and Heath Hembrees. I don't see 26-year-olds pitching in Double-A as anything other than pitchers who are hungry for a few weeks in the bigs.

LOUISVILLE RECAP - Bats lose. Again. It's a well-established River City tradition. Looks like another long season ahead. 5-3 is the unhappy final this time.

Brandon Williamson scuffled. Again. A lot of time minor league pitchers hold the upper hand early in the season. BW did not get the message apparaently. 4.1 IP, 5 H , 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 3 K.
    Casey Legumina also scuffled, but for just 1.2 innings. At least, he found the strike zone. No walks. 3 hits and 1 run thought.
    Nice outing by Tony Santillan. That's encouraging. One scoreless stanza, 0 H, 1 K.
    Hunter Strickland with his third straight successful stint out of the pen. He'll be back on in the Queen City soon enough. Make plans to see him.
    Ricky Karcher gave up an unearned run.

Mike Siani walked twice.
    Nick Senzel singled and walked.
    Joey Votto looks lost. One walk to go along with 2 more strike outs. 23 PA/12 K.
    Matt Reynolds doubled and walked.
    TJ Hopkins singled twice. He's hitting .375.
    Chuckie Robinson is lighting it up at the dish. .353 BA.
    Alejo Lopez singled and was plunked.

Play of the Night: Siani and Senzel both draw walks to begin the proceedings in the 7th with the Bats down by 2 runs. Joey Votto lifted the ball skyward and madness ensued. The end result was a double play that went along these lines. LF to 3B to 2B to 1B to C. Double play, Siani tagged out at home. That is 7-5-4-3-2. Rally over.

CHATTANOOGA - The Lookouts could not weather the weather last night. Postponed.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-08-2023 at 05:32 AM.

DAYTON - The Dragons and the Captains hooked up for a snooze fest last night. 6 hits total - three off the bats of each team. 2 of the 3 runs in the game were unearned. Lake County bunched their in the second to conjure up two runs. A Thomas Farr throwing error on a pickoff attempt allowed to eventual winning tally to cross home. Dayton crept back to with one run in the 8th on an error-assisted tally, but that's all the offense they could muster. Jay Allen singled to short, and then scampered to third on a throwing error. A Matheu Nelson sac fly sealed that deal.

Thomas Farr - 5 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
    Braxton Roxby - 1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K.
    Javi Rivera - 2 scoreless frames. (My pick for the Pitcher of the Year isn't winning that award out of the pen).

Jay Allen II - infield single, sac bunt, run scored.
    Matheu Nelson - 2 BB, SF.
    Trey Faltine - SGL, BB.

DAYTONA - Daytona was the only team down on the farms to emerge victorious last night. They won 7-6 in extras. After jumping ahead 4-0, the Tortugas had to rally with single runs in the 9th, 10th and 11th to take the win. Lucky night at the dish - 7 hits and 11 walks.

Lyon Richardson stood tall on the mound - 3 IP, 7 K, 0 R.
    Kenya Huggins cannot make the same claim - 1.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R.
    Brody Jessee was solid in his 1.1 IP.
    Fransen and Murphy each went 2 innings, and each permitted runs.
    Joseph Menefee got the job done on just 9 pitches in the 11th to get the save.

Carlos Jorge tripled and walked, but was replaced mid-inning by Victor Acosta in the fifth.
    Leonardo Balcazar reached base four times - 3 BB and a HR (1) - and scored three times.
    Cam Collier had himself a game. He singled doubled and walked 3 times.
    Sal Stewart singled and walked twice.
    Michel Triani flashed some speed by walking twice and stealing a pair of sacks.

Hector Rodriguez was also replaced mid-game.

Cam Collier's Daytona debut:

�� 2-for-3
    �� 3 RBI
    �� 3 BB
    �� Game-tying double in the 9th

https://twitter.com/RedsOnTheRise/st...21258799841281

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Cam Collier's Daytona debut:

�� 2-for-3
    �� 3 RBI
    �� 3 BB
    �� Game-tying double in the 9th

https://twitter.com/RedsOnTheRise/st...21258799841281
    Dude is going to be a stud.

Lyon Richardson looked very good for Daytona. Upper 90s, touched 99. Threw strikes with a good feel for a changeup and mixed in a decent curveball. I have no idea if the Reds see him as a starter or a reliever, but he is one of the most talented pitchers in the system, now post-TJ and throwing well.

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-08-2023),Old school 1983 (04-08-2023)

Also on the Tortugas....

Everybody loves Jorge and Collier, yes. I do too. But Balcazar -- that kid can really hit. And he brings some energy to the field, positive energy. I can see why the Reds gave him some ABs in spring training.

I also liked what I saw of Sal Stewart. Looks to me like he's got a good feel to hit.

Especially if Confidan can get on the field with this group and be healthy, they could do some very unsightly damage to an FSL pitching staff over the course of a 6 game series.

I'm trying to temper my expectations with Collier, but I really think he's going to be a great player. I think he'll be the Reds #1 prospect by years end.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Lyon Richardson looked very good for Daytona. Upper 90s, touched 99. Threw strikes with a good feel for a changeup and mixed in a decent curveball. I have no idea if the Reds see him as a starter or a reliever, but he is one of the most talented pitchers in the system, now post-TJ and throwing well.
    Upper 90s is phenomenal to see-- Richardson is one of those who'll have to move quickly. He's already on the 40-man clock.

But the kid obviously has talent.

I'm guessing he's going to be a two or even three-level mover this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Upper 90s is phenomenal to see-- Richardson is one of those who'll have to move quickly. He's already on the 40-man clock.

But the kid obviously has talent.

I'm guessing he's going to be a two or even three-level mover this season.
    He has the arsenal to pitch in a big league bullpen now. It's just a matter of throwing strikes...easier said than done, I know. As something of a short armer, he may wind up a reliever, though you hate to see a guy with the makings of a nice three pitch mix moved to the pen without getting at least a full season in a AA or AAA rotation.

One thing to remember about Richardson is that he's an athlete. Some considered him a hitting prospect coming out of high school. He and Phillips are both above average athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He has the arsenal to pitch in a big league bullpen now. It's just a matter of throwing strikes...easier said than done, I know. As something of a short armer, he may wind up a reliever, though you hate to see a guy with the makings of a nice three pitch mix moved to the pen without getting at least a full season in a AA or AAA rotation.

One thing to remember about Richardson is that he's an athlete. Some considered him a hitting prospect coming out of high school. He and Phillips are both above average athletes.
    Petty too.

18. Likes:

lollipopcurve (04-09-2023),Old school 1983 (04-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Dude is going to be a stud.
    Looks a little more sturdy than I expected.

Turn Off Ads?