Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Spencer Steer

Re: Spencer Steer

Ron said it several times on here and someone must have finally took note. Put Steer in that cleanup spot and leave him there.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If Steer is volunteering to play in LF or RF please accept and try to make it work. That resolves a big issue even though I think he and the Alonso clone in AAA could alternate at 1B/DH.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Spencer Steer started every single game in May, and he hit .318.

The league made adjustments against him, and Steer adjusted back.

He had the 17th best OPS in all of baseball in May, right in between Mookie Betts and Ronald Acuña

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-01-2023),Dingers4Duvall (06-02-2023),JCM11 (06-01-2023),Kingspoint (06-01-2023),SirFelixCat (06-01-2023),Tom Servo (06-01-2023),WrongVerb (06-01-2023)

I could see Steer being fine if LF. At some point either Steer or India is going to have to go out there IMO.

Cincinnati’s Spencer Steer Believes in Contact and Backspinning Line Drives: A fangraphs Q. & A. with Spencer Steer by David Laurila

David Laurila: Tell me about yourself as a hitter.

Spencer Steer: “There are a lot of ways I could go about answering that. I’ll say that for my entire life as a baseball player, it’s been, ‘Hit the ball.’ I try to keep it that simple. Obviously, that’s changed over time — how I go about it — but I’ve always prided myself on putting the ball in play. If you do that, you’ve got a chance to get on base. If you’re striking out, there is a zero percent chance you’re getting on base.”
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cincinna...g-line-drives/

I think Steer is a middle of the order bat who needs to be in the line-up every day. I stick him at 1B, where he looks like the best defender we've had there in my lifetime and let him play. If moving him around means he's only in the line-up 4 or 5 days per week, I say no. If he could play RF, that would be great, but I'm not as convinced. I thought he looked shaky at 3B and not sure I agree that he'd be a solid defender where-ever you put him.

I love the guy as a 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

GAC (06-02-2023),HokieRed (06-02-2023),Powder River (06-02-2023),wally post (06-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Steer is a middle of the order bat who needs to be in the line-up every day. I stick him at 1B, where he looks like the best defender we've had there in my lifetime and let him play. If moving him around means he's only in the line-up 4 or 5 days per week, I say no. If he could play RF, that would be great, but I'm not as convinced. I thought he looked shaky at 3B and not sure I agree that he'd be a solid defender where-ever you put him.

I love the guy as a 1B.
    While he does show versatility, I like him as Votto's heir-apparent at 1B too. Maybe I'm old school, and not opposed to versatility; but I believe players like to play a consistent position they call "home", where they're comfortable playing, and will excel.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

Powder River (06-02-2023)

I love the guy as a 1B.
    A little off topic, but how does a gm make this trade. You got two major league all stars imo at the very least average big leaguers. All this for Tyler Mahle. This was a great trade.

14. Likes:

UPRedsFan (06-02-2023),wolfboy (06-02-2023)

I love the guy as a 1B.
    FWIW, small sample but the defensive metrics (UZR, OAA, DRS, Rtot, Rdrs) are all pretty down on Steer. Especially OAA, which has him as one of the worst defenders in MLB
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

16. Likes:

wolfboy (06-02-2023)

Yeah, I don't see the love for Steer as a defender. I think he's serviceable, but that's about it. I actually believe CES might end up a better defender at the position. (Eventually.)

I'd like to see if Steer can handle RF. Statcast says his arm is a noodle, fwiw.

I love the guy as a 1B.
    I don't think we want a sub 6 ft guy as our regular 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    A little off topic, but how does a gm make this trade. You got two major league all stars imo at the very least average big leaguers. All this for Tyler Mahle. This was a great trade.
    It has the potential to go down as one of the better all-time Reds' trades. Time will tell but I'm liking the early returns.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

I don't know if 1b should be his permanent home, but Steer has shown so far that he's an everyday player. I'd find a spot for him and leave him there.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    FWIW, small sample but the defensive metrics (UZR, OAA, DRS, Rtot, Rdrs) are all pretty down on Steer. Especially OAA, which has him as one of the worst defenders in MLB
    He was poor early and small samples will take a while for that to catch up. He seems better every day. At this point, I think he's very good over there. I'm not sure how far back it counts since I was pretty young and probably didn't know what I was looking at, but I've been watching since the Gordy Coleman days and the only 1B who seemed as good to me defensively were Driessen and Benzinger
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He was poor early and small samples will take a while for that to catch up. He seems better every day. At this point, I think he's very good over there. I'm not sure how far back it counts since I was pretty young and probably didn't know what I was looking at, but I've been watching since the Gordy Coleman days and the only 1B who seemed as good to me defensively were Driessen and Benzinger
    Over the course of 34 games, which is too small of a sample for the stats (where some say he's REALLY bad), he went from poor to the best defensive 1B in our lifetime?
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Turn Off Ads?